Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Growing out of Metal?

Nile577

Growing out of Metal?
January 01, 2005, 03:44:06 PM
As founding Death and Black Metal musicians reach middle age and the genre celebrates its twentieth anniversary, original fans too approach the chronological knife-edge separating the late thirties and early forties. This is notable because Metal, as a genre, is often typified as celebrating youth, or giving voice to the anger felt by a generation raised under Bible-Belt Christianity or greed-based Capitalism; showcasing a noisy rebellion against scared elders.

Do you foresee yourself ever growing out of metal entirely as middle and finally old age approach? Reasons for such may range from succumbing to the lure of the system itself, mellowing with middle-aged spread or simply ‘hedging one’s bets’ spiritually just in case that Hell place is real after-all (as Pascal might ask, what are Burzum cds compared to ‘eternal torment’?).

I ask you, gentle reader, will Immolation hold the same appeal in fifty years time, walking stick gripped firmly in hand?

One of the most notable changes, tinged slightly with sadness, I underwent in my later teenage years was the realisation that I no longer classed myself as a ‘Metal-head’ or felt much loyalty towards the current genre except out of habit. Someone wise once said ‘you never like a band the way you like them when you’re fourteen’ and for me, the times of hero-worship had passed.

Concomitant with that however was an increased appreciation of select albums. While the field of my listening narrowed, the quality increased four-fold. Now, at 22, other worlds of Classical, Dark Ambient, Electronic and traditional Folk music have opened before me. The ideology I’ve developed through my learning is reflected in my listening and the ideals championed by Metal remain an integral part of my character.

Personally, I will always have a fondness for certain ‘extreme’ albums I consider genius, even if they may gather dust somewhere of have been passed on to relatives. A much-maligned vocalist once wrote, in regards to having a lingering appreciation of Metal, ‘there’s a part of me that’s always sixteen, I’ve found the secret to eternal youth’.

Listening to the intro to Hell Awaits or the opening bars of Day of Suffering, it’s hard to disagree.

Re: Growing out of Metal?
January 01, 2005, 06:35:47 PM
I think the reason people lose interest in (black/death) Metal is that the genre is usually limited to dogmatic rebellion. As you grow older, you begin to focus less on the deconstruction of old values, and more on the construction of new values. So as you grow older, you may venture into new genres that offer new ideas.

The sooner people get over 'hero-worship', being a 'metal-head' and being a 'fan', the better.

January 02, 2005, 07:46:15 AM
I agree somewhat with both posts.

First, in my view, most metal like most rock is transient garbage; once you're more acquainted with the world and the world of ideas, there's less that's stimulating about, say, early Death, and you might in fact start considering it inferior.

However, some metal is eternal in that it transcends metaldom; it's simply a good example of popular music, regardless of genre. Yes, I'm thinking of Burzum and Immortal here, Demilich and Deicide, Morbid Angel and Judas Priest. These one can probably listen to very late into life.

That being said, most metalheads move on at some point because they're sick of being metalheads. They may keep that stack of CDs that had the most meaning, and pitch the rest. This isn't a bad thing. Selectivity in metal would be a gift from the gods.

January 03, 2005, 12:22:40 AM
I'll build from Prozak's since he partially synthesized the first two:

The "loss" of interest only seems to occur around those age groups (late 30's/40's) because that's the time that more people start to realize the "world of ideas" (I won't say "most people" because even still, many go their entire lives without ever producing/contemplating complex thoughts).

However, I think that it is this phase of growing up, not the age in itself, that causes a separation.

As I begin to roll  the stone of 18, I can relate to this: "One of the most notable changes, ..., I underwent in my later teenage years was the realisation that I no longer classed myself as a ‘Metal-head’ or felt much loyalty towards the current genre except out of habit. "

but I don't miss it either, and I'm glad for losing the so-called "magic" and nostalgia, because that is a necessary part of growth and I embrace that. People who run from this are the people who recreate the music they loved as teenagers well into their late 20's.

January 03, 2005, 07:48:58 PM
I'm in my late 30s and will never give up Metal \m/

pS I do have very complex thoughts and a wide variety of music tatse, but my loyalty is to metal as I find it the most diverse of genres

January 07, 2005, 09:48:50 AM
I grew out of Metal when I reached my teens (with the advent of Crust/ "Grindcore") and then I grew back into it after listening to Electronica for some years and needed an equivalent to the very dark and heavy Drum and Bass I was listening to at the time (around 1996). I listened to 'Reign in Blood'and the anger and intensity was there for me to appreciate again. I think "growing out" of a music perhaps gives a fresher perspective once returning to it.

Nowadays, I don't think of myself as a "Metalhead".  I'm too contaminated by other music/ values to adhere to a particular subculture wholeheartedly. I listen to a great array of differing musical types (Metal easily dominates 70% of this though) and although I still like to wear band shirts and other blasphemously printed garments, I don't  think of myself in any set way. If you hold a vision of how you feel you should look to represent yr taste to others (as opposed to being natural) you've got it all wrong anyway.

Having said that, I'm pleased I had the foresight to get back into this superbly diverse musical form. Metal is in my heart and for that I'm extremely grateful.

January 09, 2005, 02:06:57 AM
This "growing out of" phenomenon has always been viedwed by me with at least a modicum of skepticism. I mean, I can understand one having to "put away" the Obituary and Krisiun albums for a while; Robert Pirsig called this perfectly natural tendency "refreshing One's gumption" in his somewhat immature yet fascinating Existential opus, "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenence".
       Everybody can get bored/ "Burned out" on ANYthing. But that doesn't mean one is any less of a Metal enthusiast.
The stuff you may be unable to enjoy for music these days was probably invested with only a puerile level of emotional commitment to begin with. This is also quite natural. Shit, I used to listen to Elton-fucking-John at the age of 7, and can't tolerate the ridiculous fag now.
     Yet, Metal IS a Spiritual experience. That is, it can be seen as Substance in every actual sense of the word. Manowar tends to set me back on track as far as realizing ,and relishing the impact Metall has had on my life. I also reccomend these tracks for revivification:
Mercyful Fate: "Desecration of Souls"
Bathory: "A Fine Day to Die"
Emperor: "Accalmation of Bonds"
Satyricon :  Spin ALL of "Nemesis Divina"
Black Sabbath: The live version of "Heaven and Hell" off of "Live Evil", or practically ANYthing involving Ronnie James Dio as a vocalist/writer.

January 12, 2005, 07:03:21 PM
Hails 577,

I will speak for myself right now.
I have been a metalhead since the age of 13 and now I am 40,I have lived the denim & leather days,bullet belts[thanks to Destruction,fucking killer band] and I have been doing it ever since.
there is no way I will weaken to change to listen to commercial radio  nor will I soften,If I live to be 80,I will still listen to Kreator or Angel Dust and such.

the metal life is like looking through a tube,you can see way down inside but you do not see the end of metal living,listening at all.

blackmetal,thrash doom and death are all in my veins and will ever be my way of life.

I for one shall remain a carrier of the black sword of steel,,,,,,

January 20, 2005, 06:01:39 AM
i think the stagnation of the genre plays a part in this. with little to nothing new to hear, its easy for people to grow tired with metal.

also, the process of narrowing ones tastes to an increasingly selective array is natural and on going. as a person grows and their ideas develop, certain bands are easily left behind and dismissed.

i dont know whether i could've ever considered myself a metalhead, im relatively young but the company of people i've always seen as the 'metalheads' are pantera loving, beer swilling boneheads. think its indicative of how much metal has degenerated if this is the perception im left with?

January 21, 2005, 02:45:03 PM
Metal made me a eugenicist when I saw how different the new fans were from the older ones. Yes, there have always been stupid people in metal - hordes of 'em. But there was once a leadership caste as well, and now it's mostly gone.

January 21, 2005, 06:36:25 PM
I think I've been through these phases in just five years.
When I was 17 I listened to Metallica, Megadeth,Ministry. Two years later a went heavily into black and death metal and; after only 3 years, I became slightly desensitised to those genres.
I've listened to about 250 albums and, although I still find the aestetics pleasing, the energy of the nihilistic, alienation etc feelings is starting to reach me less and less. I mean, when I listen to Immortal, Emperor or Rotting Christ it's almost like fucking disco music. Again with stuff like Immolation, Morbid Angel, Gorguts etc. It just make feel good. Darkthrone is one of the few bands that still make me feel the cold-heartedness of the music while the headbanging only comes from bands like Massacra.

As the metalheads around me are proud of being able to listen to all kind of crap from Robbie Williams to shitty power metal bands, I don't think it's the case for me. I'm not at peace with society and  I haven't found my inner peace either but now I find a lot more pleasure from listening to other kind of music too(ambient, industrial, darkwave, clasical, jazz etc), while metal comes to only about 50%.
Some of it doesn't even even dismiss the curent state of life by unusual ideas but metal and rock wouldn't have existed if people weren't at war with each other and/or themselves.

I dont think extreme metal could drive me through my entire life. It could only have been a catalyst. Most of it is rebelious but childish. The ideas are  born out of the author's philosophical journeys , yet most of the times what comes out through the music is  merely the basic ideas(e.g political ideas,own dreams of escaping into fantasy,  antichristian, basic antisocial atitudes etc). When the listener gets to a certain level of aknowledgement of him and his surroundings, the information he gets from metal is insatisfactory and too primal. What I'm trying to do is a paralel with Platon's argument against writing. By listening to metal the person receives feeling and ideas and adopts and/or identifies them with his own. But when that person reaches a certain level of self conscience he ought to force himself of thinking about shit instead of constantly listening to others.

Of course most of the times, what I've said before means exactly squat , since by growing old people lose their capability to resist conformity.

January 22, 2005, 04:51:40 AM
I'm not at peace with society and  I haven't found my inner peace either but now I find a lot more pleasure from listening to other kind of music too(ambient, industrial, darkwave, clasical, jazz etc), while metal comes to only about 50%.
Some of it doesn't even even dismiss the curent state of life by unusual ideas but metal and rock wouldn't have existed if people weren't at war with each other and/or themselves.

Isn't it funny how most individuals confuse finding "inner peace" with a fatalistic acceptance of the status quo and the present conditions of society? All too often I have found this to be the case.

Annihilaytorr

January 22, 2005, 05:07:31 PM
I am only 20, and unlike the rest of the metal world, the anger at the collapse of western society in the near future thanks to christianity, does not fade...

I only see myself growing past metal once it is no longer needed.

August 05, 2005, 03:01:35 PM
Personally, I will always have a fondness for certain ‘extreme’ albums I consider genius, even if they may gather dust somewhere of have been passed on to relatives. A much-maligned vocalist once wrote, in regards to having a lingering appreciation of Metal, ‘there’s a part of me that’s always sixteen, I’ve found the secret to eternal youth’.

WTF eternal youth that's funny man.The big thing about growing older is growing up, or learning more and then not being impressed by the easy stuff, so like putting away the The Haunted albums because they aren't interesting anymore. If you grow up without turning into an old man, and your musical taste matures, you'll listen to less metal but probably will keep those 10-20 really good albums close to hand for the rest of your life. I think the only mature people listen to classical, jazz bores me and radio rock is fucking terrible from 1990 on.

TC

August 08, 2005, 04:37:41 AM
aren't all swords (short of practice swords) steel?

i've never really been strictly a "metal-head", more someone that listens to any music that has some redeeming quality to it, some interest and deeper meaning than simply chugging Es and slamming beer.  in this sense, "metal" will not disappear off my radar, but even as i've always been pretty damn selective when it comes to metal i listen to, i have and will become moreso.

as per prozak, this is never a bad thing.