Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Growing out of Metal?

Re: Growing out of Metal?
September 24, 2006, 04:42:23 PM
I'll be listening to Immolation in fifty years, but no one will be listening to Leviathan in fifty years.

Or next year.

September 27, 2006, 06:32:01 PM
It's completely natural to grow out of metal. You can only listen to a narrow niche of short-sighted, shitty music for so long before getting aggravated.

September 27, 2006, 09:35:09 PM
well i can understand why people grow out of some types of metal but i find the genres to braod to get sick of every bit of it

September 28, 2006, 10:44:49 PM
Like a true wine connoisseur, metalheads will keep searching for that ultimate high. It's natural to be jaded but hey there are some real gems beneath all that shit.

September 29, 2006, 05:09:30 AM
i'll no sooner grow out of metal than i will of classical music.

September 29, 2006, 06:15:39 AM
Having listened to Metal in one form or another for some 25 years, I see no reason I should or will grow out of it. I have long since cut my hair and pursued a sensible, even comfortable living, of course. And I certainly pay only marginal attention to the "scene" as a whole(only to keep abreast of new music or occasional shows, really).  Yet, the music remains as fresh and satisfying to me as ever it has. Sure, there is a LOT of junk in Metal today, but there are still enough worthwhile bands to follow, and a wealth of back-catalog work I missed for whatever reason "back-when." And, as I must pre-maturely use a cane to walk due to injury, one can indeed hobble around like an old geezer...humming Bathory as you go.  

September 29, 2006, 07:28:26 AM
28 year old male, recently married, first baby on the way  :)..engineer by profession....metal muscian by deed

Man...its a sensitive issue.........most of my frineds have "grown out" of metal and it went hand in hand with them trading their knives, leather and bongs for suits and degrees...........

the bigger dissapointment were the muscicians..virtually all of them changed, toned down or simplified their music to cater to public tastes.........

infact im the only one of them still making xetreme metal.........

but it is interstiong to note that thoise that crossed  into deathlier territories (and more ambitious avnat garde sounds) were the ones who lats the longest......
i guess there are normal average metal heads ....and theres those that "get" shit like atheist, cynic, necrophagist,cryptopsy, cephalic carnage, nile, origin, spawn of possesion....its when the music is too BRUTAL and COMPLEX for normal consumption, yet insanely celestial!!!!

rok on bros and sis

September 29, 2006, 12:50:28 PM
as long as modern society exists, its inevitable that there will be underground music that represents total defiance to it.

September 29, 2006, 01:57:26 PM
i'll no sooner grow out of metal than i will of classical music.

Metal kicked me out by getting shitty around 1994 or so. I would be more of a metalhead but I don't want to be associated with the stupidity.
To report any abusive, obscene, defamatory, racist, homophobic or threatening comments, or anything that may violate any applicable laws, please send an e-mail to bmouth@bellatlantic.net  with pertinent details.

October 04, 2006, 02:45:20 AM

Metal kicked me out by getting shitty around 1994 or so. I would be more of a metalhead but I don't want to be associated with the stupidity.

be a metalhead and dont be stupid then.

October 04, 2006, 04:56:19 PM
Metal doesn't interest me nearly as much as it did in the past, and I find that investing my time in other genres is much more fruitfull. There's simply too much shit to go through to find decent metal.

October 08, 2006, 01:52:42 AM
Actually, there's just too much, period. The Internet has overexcposed every great, average and shit band across the globe. In terms of overall Ideology, you would think Metal would flourish under such Liberty.

In the 70's KISS and Led Zappelin were making a living from being metal, a far greater percentage of artists can say that than in the '70s, '80s or even the dark ages of the '90s.

Playing in a metal band is a thing that's been relegated to comparison to syuch mundane tasks as making toast or filling the car with gas. It might be a part of a lot of people's everyday life, but it is now a mundane and routine activity and is no longer extraordinary.

October 09, 2006, 04:35:48 AM
back in the 60's and 70's you could here every rock album that would come out yearly, now its impossible to hold up to sush a claim, the simple reason why it s quality lessons is because people who lack sufficient musical ability feel like they want to live like there heroes. And as some of these become heroes themselves they inspire more musical insufficient to follow, it hasnt just happened to just metal every single western has suffered this kind of fate

October 09, 2006, 10:45:10 PM
the simple reason why it s quality lessons is because people who lack sufficient musical ability feel like they want to live like there heroes.

This sounds very Nietzschean. The masses wanting to be kings, and so being "demi-kings" who divide the empire into ruins.

October 10, 2006, 12:21:37 AM
it always confuses me that we are seen as idiots yet we follow the work of the greatest philosophers and the proven way of life from times long since past