Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Thinking of killing yourself? Not if you work for Apple.

Factories making sought-after Apple iPads and iPhones in China are forcing staff to sign pledges not to commit suicide, an investigation has revealed.

At least 14 workers at Foxconn factories in China have killed themselves in the last 16 months as a result of horrendous working conditions.

Slave labor is hip!

An investigation of the 500,000 workers by the Centre for Research on Multinational Companies and Students & Scholars Against Corporate Misbehaviour (Sacom) found appalling conditions in the factories.

They claimed that:

Excessive overtime was rife, despite a legal limit of 36 hours a month. One payslip showed a worker did 98 hours of overtime in one month, the Observer reported.

During peak periods of demand for the iPad, workers were made to take only one day off in 13.

Badly performing workers were humiliated in front of colleagues.

Workers are banned from talking and are made to stand up for their 12-hour shifts.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1382396/Workers-Chinese-Apple-factories-forced-sign-pledges-commit-suicide.html

Guaranteed most Americans would react in this manner - "OMG THATS HORRIBLE"....(next day) "Hey guise wanna go to the mall? I heard the iSodomy is coming out today!"

I find this more amusing than disheartening.

While I say bravo to those who commited suicide, IF their only other choise was to continue being slaves, I would prefer a workplace shooting which is more heroic suicide.

Same here.
While I say bravo to those who commited suicide, IF their only other choise was to continue being slaves, I would prefer a workplace shooting which is more heroic suicide.

The added bonus being that more slave-like people would have died, and/or gruesome combat would have been the last (and probably most worthwhile) action of the factory-proles.:-) Who am I kidding, it would have been just another factory version of the various pesky school shootings that keep cropping up every now and then, cue modern liberal democratic society (MLDS (TM), all rights reserved, 1- AD2011) targeting the symbol ("insane" gunman) instead of the actual problem.

Guaranteed most Americans would react in this manner - "OMG THATS HORRIBLE"....(next day) "Hey guise wanna go to the mall? I heard the iSodomy is coming out today!"

This is pretty standard stuff in society these days, outside America as well: pretend that you care about a bunch of faceless factory workers, then forget it and move on to the next latest-and-greatest product/distraction which is the result of a globalist consumerist society which creates factories which adopt such practices. Amazing how such a simple "truth" (scare quotes intended for the hardcore epistemologists) not only isn't grasped, but not even thought about, by so many people.

Same here.

The added bonus being that more slave-like people would have died, and/or gruesome combat would have been the last (and probably most worthwhile) action of the factory-proles.:-) Who am I kidding, it would have been just another factory version of the various pesky school shootings that keep cropping up every now and then, cue modern liberal democratic society (MLDS (TM), all rights reserved, 1- AD2011) targeting the symbol ("insane" gunman) instead of the actual problem.

This is pretty standard stuff in society these days, outside America as well: pretend that you care about a bunch of faceless factory workers, then forget it and move on to the next latest-and-greatest product/distraction which is the result of a globalist consumerist society which creates factories which adopt such practices. Amazing how such a simple "truth" (scare quotes intended for the hardcore epistemologists) not only isn't grasped, but not even thought about, by so many people.

This is why american's like to spread "awareness" and be well meaning and well rounded  instead of doing anything else. Their technology enhanced lives are not worth giving up.

This is why american's like to spread "awareness" and be well meaning and well rounded  instead of doing anything else. Their technology enhanced lives are not worth giving up.

I hate to be so divergent, but that reminds me that a lot of our "technology" is basically a plethora of toys (even for adults!). The issue is the way we utilize and "innovate" (if you call an iPad software/hardware/firmware innovation) much of our civilian technology; consumerism of course contributes to the prole-feed. Yet, there are civilians (like me) who enjoy technology, but also use it to get ahead in life, rather than entertaining themselves with silly, ill-designed flash games. MP3 players, for example, are great and useful innovations; music on the go decreases hassle, whilst maintaining exposure to kvlt klassics.

On the other hand, idiots fail to realize that such technology does indeed hold hands with implications, and subsequently complain about "starving artists". Those idiots are who I have a quarrel with. Understanding the technology around them is nonsensical, just as buying a new Mustang is [for them] an achievement. The masses soil technology -- it is something to treasure (not display pridefully) and handle with care, as it is an extension of our limbs.

Somewhat related:
For Apple fans, the brand triggers a reaction in the brain that's not unlike that of religious devotees, according to a BBC documentary series that cites neurological research.

The neuroscientists ran a magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) test on an Apple fanatic and discovered that images of the technology company's gadgets lit up the same parts of the brain as images of a deity do for religious people, the report says.
http://www.cnn.com/2011/TECH/gaming.gadgets/05/19/apple.religion/index.html?hpt=Sbin