Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Essence of modern life: atomization, solipsism, regression, diaper-wearing.

The people who are reacting to what they seem to see as the arbitrary, judgmental nature of this thread need to explain how this kind of phenomena is NOT a systemic social problem.

Sir, you're affirming that adult babies are a product of the essence of modern life. I request evidence, not some jamming on bad social theory (like comparing a human with a cell).

I simplified something complicated in order to make a point. Modernity is complex. I understand. There are a lot of different things happening in modernity, and some of them are contradictory. This conversation itself is modernity. Of course there's more going on than just this one thing that I identified. But you seem to be grasping on to this instance of imprecision in order to evade the point I was trying to make, which everyone else was able to decipher:

Something bad is going on is going on in our culture. We are interconnected and mutually dependent; none of us arose in a vacuum. The fact that there's a significant portion of society that apparently has chosen to 'opt out' of that place where our "subjective" world meets the "objective" world is problematic, because it has implications for the overall character of our culture. When you walk in to a Wal-Mart, and you see a large number of depressed, confused, humiliated fat people wandering around in a daze, there's a reason for it. It's not a coincidence that all of those people are gathered in same place at the same time. Something produced this phenomena. There's a reason why it exists here and not in some other place.

Are you resisting the idea that this 'adult baby' is living an inherently negative lifestyle, or are you resisting the idea that his state is indicative of or similar to a broader cultural pattern?

Edit: I suspect that what's going on here is that some folks are freaked out because they suspect that there's an implicit suggestion of mass extermination lurking in the background. While that suggestion would be consistent with the ANUS attitude, as far as I can tell, it is not my suggestion. I wish to encourage and nourish what is positive. I believe that it can grow and become more powerful than the negative, either liberating/transforming the latter or crowding it out of existence.

Quote from: ginnungafap
It's fun to ascribe positions to others that they don't actually hold, isn't it?

Well, I think it is. Perhaps you lack a sense of humour.

The people who are reacting to what they seem to see as the arbitrary, judgmental nature of this thread need to explain how this kind of phenomena is NOT a systemic social problem.

Sir, you're affirming that adult babies are a product of the essence of modern life. I request evidence, not some jamming on bad social theory (like comparing a human with a cell).

I simplified something complicated in order to make a point. Modernity is complex. I understand. There are a lot of different things happening in modernity, and some of them are contradictory. This conversation itself is modernity. Of course there's more going on than just this one thing that I identified. But you seem to be grasping on to this instance of imprecision in order to evade the point I was trying to make, which everyone else was able to decipher:

Something bad is going on is going on in our culture. We are interconnected and mutually dependent; none of us arose in a vacuum. The fact that there's a significant portion of society that apparently has chosen to 'opt out' of that place where our "subjective" world meets the "objective" world is problematic, because it has implications for the overall character of our culture. When you walk in to a Wal-Mart, and you see a large number of depressed, confused, humiliated fat people wandering around in a daze, there's a reason for it. It's not a coincidence that all of those people are gathered in same place at the same time. Something produced this phenomena. There's a reason why it exists here and not in some other place.

Are you resisting the idea that this 'adult baby' is living an inherently negative lifestyle, or are you resisting the idea that his state is indicative of or similar to a broader cultural pattern?

Edit: I suspect that what's going on here is that some folks are freaked out because they suspect that there's an implicit suggestion of mass extermination lurking in the background. While that suggestion would be consistent with the ANUS attitude, as far as I can tell, it is not my suggestion. I wish to encourage and nourish what is positive. I believe that it can grow and become more powerful than the negative, either liberating/transforming the latter or crowding it out of existence.

Infantilism and regression are psychological disorders, in that sense, they are negative, but even though, I'm not some kind of psychologist nanny for such particular cases (and who should be?). On the other hand, I think you make an enormous assumption reducing its causes to modernity. I ask you scientific evidence of how modernity caused this regression, not badly operationalized social theory.

Of course I know that there are social problems, but, thinking as a scientist, you need to define the problem, the subjects and the causes. This is not some kind of PC prerequisite, because if you do it correctly you can define specific phenomena within domestic or urban violence, race conflicts... or possibly to establish the correlation between depression as a clinical condition, overweight and compulsive consumerism in regards specific parts of a (complex) cultural system, and to describe how all these parts interact. Even though philosophically the problem sounds correct, results can change our prenotions.

These problems can be defined, corroborated and criticized as socially negative. That demands data, of course, and maybe I'm asking too much for a forum thread... nevertheless, that's how it works IRL if you're asking for public intervention in a social, or a psychosocial problem. For the sake of this thread, you should at least bring one or two references.

You recognize your imprecision, but you seem to avoid its importance. The imprecision implies a straw man on what supposedly is the main cause.

In what sense relating to this guy's preference for wearing diapers would he be a liability to the human race?
His actions are not just disgusting, they're indicative of some sort of mental fuck-up.

You said something about wanting to live in a beautiful world. So is this guy a liability in the sense that he does things that you find ugly? Certainly ANUS is a liability to many in this sense. Would they be justified in using violence against people involved with this site?
They would absolutely be well advised to use violence against the people involved with this site if they could get away with it. This site stands for values that are against their way of life after all.

For X to have a right means that there is a moral truth such that (1) X ought to be treated in certain ways, and (2) it is morally permissible that force be used against others in order to bring it about that X is treated in the specified ways. It looks like you accept exactly that concerning your children and your aesthetic preferences. But forget this point. My first remark concerning rights was not really that important and was perhaps a bit too snarky.
There are no rights and morals. Rights and morals are just man made laws, and I'm an outlaw, baby.

Are you assuming that the rest of the world is analogous to one's garden in the sense that you and your ilk have some sort of claim on it in the way that people have legitimate claims on their own gardens, backyards, etc.? Why do I have to accept that the man in the diapers is part of your "garden"?
I am, in fact, saying that the world is my garden. Why do you have to accept that? You don't.

Well, I guess my point is that this appeal to beauty that you make is far from unproblematic. For one thing, I'm sure plenty of people conceive of a beautiful world partly as one in which certain rights are respected, or at least that the alternative is intolerably ugly.
I'm not a democracy, It doesn't matter to me what plenty of people think.

Quote from: Octuple
First, I need to know why they are adult babies before saying that it is because of the "essence of modern life".

Second, I have no problem with someone using diapers in his spare time, but if I were the boss  of these guys  I'd have a problem with an incompetent worker in my teamwork, I would have a problem too if he or any other infantilist depends on social assistance. Using diapers/whipers may be incidental to this incompetence, but my business is the incompetence.
I never said that it's the essence of modern life, disgusting fuck ups is a trend that goes way back. Just read up on Elagabalus.

The second point is where our differences are obvious, I have a problem with people that pretend to be babies in their spare time, and you don't. We can never reconcile.

An update:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/may/17/senator-questions-benefits-to-adult-baby/

Adult Baby threatens suicide if his welfare is taken away:

“You wanna test how damn serious I am about leaving this world, screw with my check that pays for this apartment and food. Try it. See how serious I am. I don’t care,” the California man said. “I have no problem killing myself. Take away the last thing keeping me here, and see what happens. Next time you see me on the news, it will be me in a body bag.”

An update:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/may/17/senator-questions-benefits-to-adult-baby/

Adult Baby threatens suicide if his welfare is taken away:

“You wanna test how damn serious I am about leaving this world, screw with my check that pays for this apartment and food. Try it. See how serious I am. I don’t care,” the California man said. “I have no problem killing myself. Take away the last thing keeping me here, and see what happens. Next time you see me on the news, it will be me in a body bag.”

So he was in welfare? Well, that's was not stated in the previous article, but given the fact that he is in welfare, I'm glad that this senator tackled this case of the social problem, which is welfare.

Good, although this piece of filth isn't even worthy of being compost. Best launch it into space.

I find this whole welfare thing to be quite hilarious; it just adds another layer of absurdity to the whole thing.  If you people are going to passively standby when we have system in place that allows this guy to fuel his fetish at their expense, by all means let him do it.  If anything good ever comes of him it will be that he is an example of how modernity fails us.

Modernity is complex.

All complex things start from a simple idea: Modernity: all individuals are equal, so institutions matter more than personal character.

Modernity is complex.

All complex things start from a simple idea: Modernity: all individuals are equal, so institutions matter more than personal character.

Good observation. Nevertheless, I think you're talking about the principle of the modern project, and not modernity itself. I'd concede that this modern project is based on that premise (as principle), but modernity is the actual phenomena, hence, modernity is much more complex than the project, as example, modernity containing conservative revolutions, the rise of the rich or burgueoise, both rationalization of the public and private enterprise and their concepts of efficiency and productivity, some of these events are reactions (and part of modernity), but others are not as clearly related to the original premise of the modern project.

The fear-of-inadequacy pursuit of egalitarian sameness through passive tolerance and meritocratic victimhood is a race to the bottom where a lowest common denominator existence eventually prevails. Indeed, this fear is a true self-fulfilling prophesy turning exceptional, mediocre and substandard people alike into the lowest form via the prevailing if artificial selective pressure.

The title is not at all shocking, or even news. Instead, logically, it is to be expected.

http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/content/full/160/11/1932

Psychological profile of an adult baby.

Sexy adult baby girls: http://littleab.com/picg1.html
I'm jerkin off right now!