Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Suicide

Re: Suicide
June 07, 2013, 05:53:00 PM
humans wouldn't be totally free on a fondamental level if they weren't able to suicide.

June 09, 2013, 12:47:23 PM
The people I've known to have any kind of suicidal thoughts were mentally unstable (at the time). Pretty sure that's all it comes down to.

June 11, 2013, 11:04:45 PM
Suicide is wrong because most people don't do it on a philosophical basis. They do it when they've temporarily lost at evolution, in an emotional fit. usually the cause is fixable.
I have no problems at all with old people killing themselves, the deformed, the infertile, etc.

June 12, 2013, 03:07:04 AM
Suicide is wrong because most people don't do it on a philosophical basis. They do it when they've temporarily lost at evolution, in an emotional fit. usually the cause is fixable.
I have no problems at all with old people killing themselves, the deformed, the infertile, etc.

Your viewpoint seems to put humanity in the same evolutionary equation as all other organisms, but I think it might be too complex a situation for that to apply.

As I see it, people that have children without following it through to make sure they grow into worthwhile people are only polluting the world by adding to it's dysfuntion. And there's plenty of that going on.

On the other hand you could have people in positions of social, cultural or political influence that bring about positive change in the world without having produced any children of their own. In other words seeing humans as part of a greater 'social organism' rather than just individuals.

June 12, 2013, 11:17:04 PM
When did human life become more important than everything? What's wrong with suicide? We have seven billion people on the planet.....you wont be missed.

June 13, 2013, 02:50:52 AM
Bridge jumpers are a pretty interesting phenomenon. In some areas there will be two bridges with equal suicide potential yet people will overwhelmingly gravitate towards one over the other and if a barrier is placed at the preferred location most people wont be bothered to walk the 1mile to the other nearby bridge.

most people who kill themselves are well, pussies.
Based on what? Life in modern society is hardly challenging. Even if you're completely useless all you need to do is commit some petty crime and get thrown in jail and you wont have to worry about food or shelter.

What does the average person contribute to society? Not much. A large portion of low skilled work could probably be replaced by software at this point. Besides, the largest population demographic for suicide is eldery white men 75+ years old. What are they missing out on? What is society missing out on? Not much.

Life can lack fulfillment and be dreary for that sheer reason.  For some people who do not have the capability to perceive true wisdom and wonder, life becomes difficult.  As far as suicide, it could only be considered somewhat honorable in a context of altruism.  The Japanese samurai, Shaolin warrior-monk, or German knight, or Saracen ghazi who restored his honor through a type of suicide often did so to protect his fellows and family.  Rivals could have mercy and adopt the family into their own system, preserving the honor of the family instead of them becoming disgraced.  There was no desire for pity, and these lofty deeds are seen in good people in the modern world who die jumping on grenades, storming machine gun nests, or destroying the fortifications of the enemy.

For the modern, suicide can be related to the ego and the self.  While seeking the death of the self in the only way they know, they cling to aggrandizement of it in a gruesome moment.  Not knowing of a "way", they discard their body without knowing the fate they condemn themselves to.

Phoenix

June 14, 2013, 04:07:08 AM
I've been on and off considering suicide ever since I was 12. First the deterrent was a lack of planning and opportunity, next was fear of dying (but not death itself), after which was fear of Hell, followed by empathy for my loved ones. Now, I'm not really sure what's holding me back; perhaps a mix of the last 3, in smaller quantities. I feel it's only a matter of time now, though I'm at a loss as to how long that is.

Don't worry, you'll go eventually. I wait patiently for my demise, simply because the only alternative is to wait impatiently. Why would I want to do that?

June 14, 2013, 05:06:33 AM
For some people who do not have the capability to perceive true wisdom and wonder, life becomes difficult. 

The only wonder I've experienced in life is when listening to black metal; and most of those artists either promote suicide or did it themselves.

July 01, 2013, 06:36:29 PM
I have no problem with it. Life is largely unpleasant, mostly due to the people one has to share the planet with. Nevermind the seemingly meaningless of the trudge through life.

July 01, 2013, 06:54:23 PM
When did human life become more important than everything? What's wrong with suicide? We have seven billion people on the planet.....you wont be missed.

Agreed. From the context of the suicide, you can determine whether the person had a good reason to do so or not. But for the most part, one less person on the planet isn't that big of a deal. Same reason I support the death penalty.

July 02, 2013, 05:22:30 AM

Other than the insane, one group kills themselves more than others: the smart and sensitive.

I don't think they're defectives. In fact, I know they're not. I understand where they're coming from.

My will is to live, but that may be because instead of learning to be human, I spent my youth in the forest.

It doesn't mean we miss them less.

July 06, 2013, 03:31:16 AM
If I kill myself, I wanna not shit for like 2 weeks, then go to the top of a really tall building, strapped with explosives, jump, then detonate 3/4ths of the way down. (with any luck a crowd would form too)

Shit and guts everywhere. Fuck, I'd probably be a master of modern art if I did that.

July 06, 2013, 05:33:13 AM
If I kill myself, I wanna not shit for like 2 weeks

That would pretty much do it.

July 06, 2013, 08:16:49 AM
If I kill myself, I wanna not shit for like 2 weeks

That would pretty much do it.

Naw, I could still be alive at that point. I'd be pretty sick, but alive.

July 06, 2013, 01:39:09 PM
If I kill myself, I wanna not shit for like 2 weeks, then go to the top of a really tall building, strapped with explosives, jump, then detonate 3/4ths of the way down.

The trick to this would be distribution of explosives over the body so as to rupture the organ sac and spray it outward without unduly cooking or incinerating the contents. This sounds more like knitting yourself a mesh jumpsuit of detcord than strapping a chunk of C-4 to your forehead for your final ALLAHU ACKBAR!