Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Suicide

Re: Suicide
July 06, 2013, 07:52:07 PM
Not shitting for two weeks would just fill you up with a dense, hard rock of crap and not the volume which would be ideal. The longer shit stays in your bowels the more water can be reabsorbed from it in the large intestine. I suggest the additional step of sewing your butthole shut and ingesting large amounts of osmotic laxatives before the dirty deed.

July 06, 2013, 11:10:17 PM
I had planned on horrible greasy fast foods as a main diet, with lots of sugar to ensure liquidy matter and then ingesting laxatives right before jumping. Would probably tape it shut to prevent preemptive explosions in the pants.

My stomach would probably start to distend, but in the end it would be all part of the plan.

SIDNOTE: Conversations like these are one of the reasons that I come to this forum, haha.

July 07, 2013, 04:03:53 PM
The original post opened me up to something that I'd never thought of before, not even during the many times in the past where suicide was at the forefront of my mind (more as a moral question than an option). There are indeed a billion motives for suicide, but we only have one word for it, regardless of the circumstances or motives surrounding the death.

Consider how many ways we can describe a death when two (or more) people are involved; murder, assassination, mercy killing, justified self-defense, revenge, manslaughter (say, if one killed another out of carelessness rather than malice). But we don't have many ways to describe the motive behind a suicide. It's just automatically "suicide", and all that implies.

So is this intentional? Do we want to cover all self-inflicted deaths under a blanket term so that people will hear all the negative connotations along with the word? Or is it just a result of the laziness of English speakers in the USA? Clearly other cultures demonstrate an understanding of the differences in suicidal motives (the Japanese seppuku and kamekazi were a great example).

July 07, 2013, 06:13:54 PM
People like it simple. Tidy. Easy.
There is, however, another word that gets used when suicide doesn't seem to fit...
"Accident".

July 08, 2013, 07:23:49 AM
“Of the demonstrably wise there are but two: those who commit suicide, & those who keep their reasoning faculties atrophied with drink.”

― Mark Twain

July 08, 2013, 07:59:26 AM
That sounds stupid.

July 08, 2013, 08:28:44 AM
I guess so. How about this one

“Should I kill myself, or have a cup of coffee?”

― Albert Camus

July 08, 2013, 08:49:07 AM
I'd have to know you better before answering.

July 08, 2013, 09:09:41 AM
In relation to the last 2 quotes, all I can say is i'm not in the mood for drinking.

July 08, 2013, 09:56:12 AM
Well, if you want to demonstrate your wisdom, you know what must be done.

July 08, 2013, 05:34:40 PM
Callous halfwits.

July 08, 2013, 11:59:38 PM
“Of the demonstrably wise there are but two: those who commit suicide, & those who keep their reasoning faculties atrophied with drink.”

― Mark Twain
Twain is being sarcastic.  Twain was a humorist through and through; he's not serious whatsoever.  I'm a Mark Twain fan, myself, and I would recommend to you "Roughing It." 

July 09, 2013, 12:39:36 AM
Suicide is one of those horribly terminal decisions.
The last decision one may ever make.
Best not to joke about, or encourage, such irreparable acts.
What if?

July 30, 2013, 12:21:45 AM
The original post opened me up to something that I'd never thought of before, not even during the many times in the past where suicide was at the forefront of my mind (more as a moral question than an option). There are indeed a billion motives for suicide, but we only have one word for it, regardless of the circumstances or motives surrounding the death.

Consider how many ways we can describe a death when two (or more) people are involved; murder, assassination, mercy killing, justified self-defense, revenge, manslaughter (say, if one killed another out of carelessness rather than malice). But we don't have many ways to describe the motive behind a suicide. It's just automatically "suicide", and all that implies.

So is this intentional? Do we want to cover all self-inflicted deaths under a blanket term so that people will hear all the negative connotations along with the word? Or is it just a result of the laziness of English speakers in the USA? Clearly other cultures demonstrate an understanding of the differences in suicidal motives (the Japanese seppuku and kamekazi were a great example).

Attach "self-" to the cause of death: self-immolation, self-asphyxiation, self-inflicted bulletwound, it gets more rare after that.

Self-murder is rarely used, but it's another variant. You're right that the motive for suicide is never referred to. But in all cases including seppuku and kamikazi the ritual revolving around the suicide is referred to. Seppuku does not explain why someone committed suicide, it just refers to the ritual. Same with self-immolation or "hanging yourself" or whatever variant. And even though this would mean you could argue that people are more interested in knowing how someone died instead of why they died it's still fair to assume that especially historically people might not have a clue why someone committed suicide, they just know the method. Obviously if suicide is the way to avoid shame you're not going to say what you're so ashamed about before blowing out your own candle.

July 30, 2013, 12:49:43 AM
Thanks for pointing that out. Kamikaze and seppuku do refer specifically to the physical acts that kill one. Seppuku as a ritual however was used in times where one decided that dying (even at one's own hand) was more noble than living with whatever mistakes might have brought such dishonor on oneself. This is still an unfathomable action in modern USA though; we don't have a word to describe it.

Nowadays people kill themselves out of frustration at failing to achieve social status or when they are practically too embarrassed to show their face to their friends and family. I think that is not so much my own position but it is pretty well known that modern suicide is not committed as to maintain one's noble or honorable status. So I agree with that last paragraph.