Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Suicide

Re: Suicide
July 30, 2013, 01:16:36 AM
I think it's wrong to assume the reasons why someone chose to go. The reason why there's a taboo in the west surrounding suicide stems from monotheism. According to catholicism suicide is a one way trip to hell, in islam it's the greatest sin you can commit, in Judaism it is severely frowned upon.

In hinduism a person is allowed to commit prayopavesa, which is suicide by starvation. But only if this person truly has no ambitions left or is seriously ill.

I'm not sure about buddhism but I don't think there's a penalty for suicide.

Suicide by cop is an interesting way to go:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOnJLSqjTwE

July 30, 2013, 02:05:41 AM
The penalty for suicide is DEATH!
Squawk!

July 30, 2013, 10:13:32 PM
these kinds of actions have base in pagan culture, occultists cut his forearms for get blood, with this they believe in the possibility to use this in the 27 dimension (the deamons prison), in my view, satanic start do this, latter black metal start o this, """gothics""" (montley crue fans) start do this, and the metalcore emos start do this.

ps: blood in the 27 dimension is money
From Brazil

July 30, 2013, 11:51:36 PM
I think it's wrong to assume the reasons why someone chose to go. The reason why there's a taboo in the west surrounding suicide stems from monotheism. According to catholicism suicide is a one way trip to hell, in islam it's the greatest sin you can commit, in Judaism it is severely frowned upon.

Then let's not assume; let's draw conclusions based on evidence.

Suicide as a term is too broad to describe self-inflicted termination because there is hardly a parallel between some whiner who kills himself because his parents won't buy him an iPhone* and a kamikaze pilot or a self-immolating monk.

You may be right about suicide being a taboo subject thanks to the monotheistic inundation that we experience in the West. That's interesting and I will think on that for a while. But let's keep in mind that monotheism (at least in the part of the West that I experience) is not so widely accepted as humanism (be that of the secular or superstitious flavor), and humanism posits that nothing in the universe is so precious as an individual life (which clearly flies in the face of the ideology of, say, a suicide bomber or kamikaze pilot).

I should hope that we can all agree that humanism is a laughable ideology but I don't assume.

*If you think this is hyperbolic or an oversimplification, then you are right, but it is not so inaccurate as we'd like to think.

July 31, 2013, 01:23:41 AM

I should hope that we can all agree that humanism is a laughable ideology but I don't assume.

You can assume away. Humanism was useful when there were like 1 million of us. Now? Not so much. Valuing a human just for being a human? No thanks, I'd like to get to know someone before I make a judgement on them.
No.

Having reviewed the thread, baby Jesus is most definitely weeping at this point.

July 31, 2013, 02:13:10 AM

You can assume away. Humanism was useful when there were like 1 million of us. Now? Not so much. Valuing a human just for being a human? No thanks, I'd like to get to know someone before I make a judgement on them.

So now it's a matter of quality over quantity? I think that's a valid and even useful judgment context but that doesn't mean very much. (You can be sure of that each time I begin a sentence with "I think,"; such a statement is more of a disclaimer.)

If humanism was a useful ideology when there were 1 million humans and it got us to the historical point we occupy now, how useful was it really in the long run? Or can we even make a judgment on that?

July 31, 2013, 02:36:35 AM
In the somewhat long run, it helped to proliferate our species across the globe. It led to development of great civilizations, and with that great achievements.

I think we can make a judgement; look at what overpopulation does to cities. Turns them into disgusting hovels. If this happened on a global scale, the results would be disastrous. At this point though the Western world and some parts of Asia and South America are not really at risk. It's mostly Africa and the more destitute parts of Asia/South America that have the population problems.

Nowadays (the super long run)? We have so many people in this world, that we can't possibly sustain all of them (not even counting more to come). Humanism is an irrelevant ideology when facing our modern problems. 
No.

Having reviewed the thread, baby Jesus is most definitely weeping at this point.

July 31, 2013, 03:04:34 AM
Don't worry. The chance of really lethal pandemic coming along is very, very high.
Really, the only downside to that, is will it target enough of the right people?
Or the wrong people...

There's nothing like a killer plague to put humanism into perspective.
Squawk!

July 31, 2013, 10:54:50 AM
In other words, it would have been advantageous for ancient humans to stick with "Diet Humanism (Now with 40% less population than the other leading brands!)" rather than the full on humans-before-all belief that led to overpopulation.

Maybe if they had retained feudalism and human sacrifice we would be better off?

August 01, 2013, 02:07:58 PM
You may be right about suicide being a taboo subject thanks to the monotheistic inundation that we experience in the West. That's interesting and I will think on that for a while. But let's keep in mind that monotheism (at least in the part of the West that I experience) is not so widely accepted as humanism (be that of the secular or superstitious flavor), and humanism posits that nothing in the universe is so precious as an individual life (which clearly flies in the face of the ideology of, say, a suicide bomber or kamikaze pilot).

Humanism has it's roots in the new testament. But humanism is also more subjective than you might think. We all know the term "mercy killing" but who defines when mercy is needed?

The effect of suicide used to be that you were not allowed to be buried in religious (christian/jewish/muslim) burial ground, or you got buried somewhere on some special spot where all the other people they considered dishonorable were buried. Now the effect of suicide is that's it's been milked so long and so much by the media (talk shows for the "survivors" and bullshit "psychology" articles in glossy magazines) that people began to imitate that. Meanwhile in the muslim community your family gets respect and payments if you'll "be a martyr" and blow yourself up for someone else's political games. So that's what's changed. I wouldn't blame humanism too much for it, it's just a cultural phenomenon based on the position of a civilization. And the third world might be overpopulated but the white races are diminishing, again we could blame that solely on humanism but it's not just humanism but everything that contributed to our current culture that created this abomination. Our culture is an extension of ourselves and in return our culture confirms for us what is right. It's a vicious circle in which garbage like humanism and Justin Bieber is throw and occasionally when we are lucky it gets thrown out again.

In other words, it would have been advantageous for ancient humans to stick with "Diet Humanism (Now with 40% less population than the other leading brands!)" rather than the full on humans-before-all belief that led to overpopulation.

Maybe if they had retained feudalism and human sacrifice we would be better off?

The Aztecs thought very highly of human sacrifice. Being sacrificed was seen as an honor (individually it was usually seen as a horror but culturally it was an honor) They kept their population nicely trimmed but they didn't accomplish as much as Europeans at the time. I also wonder how much of that Aztec culture remains to this day when I see beheading videos released by one of the Mexican drug cartels. Latinos sure like to spill blood, no wonder Slayer is half hispanic.