Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Who wrote Black Metal, God and Hitler?

Who wrote Black Metal, God and Hitler?
May 20, 2011, 04:42:25 AM
http://www.anus.com/metal/about/blog/pivot/entry.php?id=222

Apart from a few minor details (such as the role of drumming in metal), I thought this was an absolutely brilliant piece.I found it to be a nearly-anthemic piece of writing that perfectly distilled the crux of metal as a philosophy and ethos.  In particular, I applaud the choice to spurn the pat response many musicians give when asked why they play metal.  In the case of bands like Immortal and Enslaved who all but defecate on their pasts, they ostensibly do so for political reasons and any answers they would give to a question like, "why do you guys do this?" will inevitably result in a slickly clad version of Venom/Bathory/Sabbath hero worship.  The biggest problem I have with the metal-musician community is that it often seems as if what they're doing is completely apparent to us but not them.  Far too many musicians are still preoccupied with being cool guys who play guitar and go to great lengths to disavow any skill in their craft beyond being able to play an instrument.  Worse, you get the other extreme with children like the dweeb in Liturgy who front-load worthless music with a lot of empty rhetoric and hope that no one notices they've actually got nothing to say.  So yeah, a crucial element to that entire piece for me is how the "gravity" of metal frequently succeeds in spite of the people who create the music.  This is one of the reasons I believe metal will never be held in the same regard as classical or even jazz.

Just as an aside, I'd like to see all of those blog entries posted on here.  Given the despicable level of trolling that occurs in the "comments" section of the blog entries, I've never felt impelled to reply to a single thing I've read there.  Signal-to-noise and all of that.

Re: Who wrote Black Metal, God and Hitler?
May 20, 2011, 08:24:47 AM
I've also noticed that the blog comment section is a complete garbage dump - a way to alleviate this would be to make commenting possible only for a logged-in forum member.

May 20, 2011, 10:57:46 AM
Yeah, the comment section has gotten really out of hand. It's to the point where I barely even read the blog posts either.

I'm with the OP; making a sticky thread for the blog entries in this forum would be most beneficial.

May 21, 2011, 01:21:03 PM
People are complaining about the forum, and about the comments section.

I am not an anarchist, but I think anarchy zones are important. In particular, if people are going to grow up on the internet, they need some place where they can spew and see that the world didn't end, then see that un-spew gets a better response.

The blog comments here are not abysmal as some might think, but fucking brilliant. A mix of stuff; mostly trolling, some really insightful comments, occasional anti-fags who show up to rain on the sodomy parade. Better than 4chan, Digg, Reddit or ED, that's for sure. Funny in a lot of cases.

The problem with this forum is broken self-image. People are behaving like they're ashamed to be here, or have to hate it to enjoy it. WTF princess BDSM? Let's just use it like the resource it is, a meeting place where you can check in for five-ten minutes a day and learn something.

As always: sodomy.  \o/o//

May 21, 2011, 11:32:19 PM
People are complaining about the forum, and about the comments section.

I am not an anarchist, but I think anarchy zones are important.
I have to agree.  Heavy moderation of the blog's comment section is both unnecessary and counter productive.  Free reign allows for greater clarity in reflecting on responses to articles and most likely ultimately leads to a lessening of shit bricking, as they say.  Also, the trolling forces people to think about these pieces in a broader context than if they were just discussed on the forum.

The problem with this forum is broken self-image. People are behaving like they're ashamed to be here, or have to hate it to enjoy it. WTF princess BDSM? Let's just use it like the resource it is, a meeting place where you can check in for five-ten minutes a day and learn something.
I think you may be overstating the problems here, but your proposal is sound, nonetheless.

May 22, 2011, 01:37:21 AM
This was a great piece!  I loved it too.  And I also love the comment section anarchy zone!  I laugh my ass off every time!  Adrian McCoy, the "lol yay" guy, "Dave."  It just wouldn't be the same without 'em!

June 02, 2011, 02:20:27 PM
Heavy moderation of the blog's comment section is both unnecessary and counter productive.  Free reign allows for greater clarity in reflecting on responses to articles and most likely ultimately leads to a lessening of shit bricking, as they say.  Also, the trolling forces people to think about these pieces in a broader context than if they were just discussed on the forum.

I am totally in agreement here. People also just need a place to blow off some steam. If they want to raise hell there, good; let it be expressed in raw form, and people will reflect on it and post a more reasoned approach there.

There's more energy there than on this forum.

I think you may be overstating the problems here, but your proposal is sound, nonetheless.

You're right; I should have been clearer. I don't view this as a problem to this forum that needs solving. I think that if this forum has a weakness, it is that people here are tentative and somewhat beaten down and of low self-esteem. This is because most of us are nerds and are accustomed to Cassandra syndrome: people don't hear us, and they're caught up in this world of socialization that we don't understand because (if we search our souls) we think it's trivial.

If I had a wishlist for this forum:

(1) Less pretense
(2) Less false humility
(3) More honesty
(4) People being more active
(5) Less snark

#1, 2 and 5 are endemic to internet forums: people behave like "badasses" because they're acting out what they don't get in real life (RL).

That's just pointless posturing...

So here, we don't need to prove anything. We're just people here to discuss something. If your contributions are useful, which implies intelligent and all that good shit, people aren't going to care if you don't have that rare Archgoat 7" or know how to spell "publicly" or whatever. Just go for it.

It would be great if the community came down harder on snarky contentless replies, and less hard on content-laden but slightly incoherent ones.

I find errors in my posts all the time, if I re-read them. Doesn't matter. If the post said something important, even in a small sense, it's worth having.

The crap we don't need is the typical internet drama. "I found something you don't have! I'm ironic and unique! Look at me, I know something you don't know!"