Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Most Metal Books Ever

Most Metal Books Ever
August 23, 2006, 01:58:02 PM
People read crap, especially now. For one thing, we've hobbled our writers by putting so many topics off-limits -- even suspicion of unprogressive attitudes leads to their banning. For another, our writers are mostly vegetables because our society is a vegetble. Hence the current stuff is almost exclusively garbage.

Metalheads, those that read at least, often find some of the classics. Here are a few that I've been reading lately:

1. Frankenstein (Mary Shelley). The creation cursing the creator, and then finding that the cause of his struggle was meaningful to life and his curses, impotent but destructive. There is no more metal book than this. Inspired in part by Paradise Lost and in part by Percy Shelley's ramblings, this is a massive classic of literature written by a 19-year-old woman. Genre: Romantic Literature.

2. Paradise Lost (John Milton). The great tale of Satan's independence from God and eventual humbling, but somehow, everyone who reads it ends up rooting for Old Scratch. Genre: Romantic Literature.

3. The Marriage of Heaven and Hell -and- The Book of Urizen (William Blake). Conceptualizes the human soul and through psychology creates sublime dream-images, years before Freud or Jung. Genre: Romantic Literature.

4. Hamlet (William Shakespeare). Boy finds out world is sick and corrupt and destroys himself trying to fix it. KVLT.

5. The Sun Also Rises (Ernest Hemingway). Lost generation of people falling out of dying Western Culture pursue temporary pleasure and find emptiness. Genre: Existential 1920s Lit.

6. The Elementary Particles (Michel Houllebecq). Two men, the Ego and the Id, stumble through life and find it empty although sexually liberated.

7. Journey to the End of the Night (Ferdinand Celinne). Burlesque comedy as man stumbles through modern society, revealing its emptiness at all turns.

8. Naked Lunch (William S. Burroughs). Man looks behind appearance to find structure, and sees the nihilism with which we manipulate each other and goes on 30 year heroin binge. CLASSIC

We haven't even gotten into philosophy here.

Re: Most Metal Books Ever
August 23, 2006, 02:14:42 PM
Dante's Inferno too can be a classic. Great Medieval Literrature.

STS

August 23, 2006, 08:56:58 PM
Call Of The Wild
Some would consider the civilization-to-nature direction of London's most famous literary work to be a regression of sorts, but the idea in itself is probably a misinterpretation of the greater value of this story which trumps the will to transcend the low end of life established by modern society and restore universal qualities such as strength, character and heroism.

Vajra

August 23, 2006, 11:46:37 PM
Back in obvious territory: the best works of H.P. Lovecraft (Call of Cthulhu, Dagon, Re-animator, and loads more!!!)

Disillusioned with the anthropocentric idolatry of religionists and atheists alike, Lovecraft delved into the past and developed a mythology that affirmed the universe as inhuman and blackness.

Human characters, stranded from the comfort-zone of society, confront this monstrous reality beyond arbitrary definitions and limitations.

Thus the tales become records of men decyphering bizarre, alien languages of incomprehensibly cryptic content; or of intense survival and fear in strange and desolate worlds.

They are left in states of horror, misery, suicide and awe as the layers of subjective notions are peeled away like their flesh, uncovering the grissly materialism beneath.

The only salvation Lovecraft offers is the sense of beauty and wonder derived from the unearthly structures in their 'slimy', 'black' and 'unholy' realms - monuments to the infinity of space - whose walls resonate with the most ancient secrets.

Vajra

August 23, 2006, 11:47:52 PM
Besides, Therion's 'Cthulhu' is one of the finest Death Metal songs I've heard.

August 24, 2006, 05:25:45 AM
Lord of the rings, has given us Burzum, Gorgoroth and summoning. And also illustrated heroisism at it's finest.

August 24, 2006, 07:18:14 AM
Don Quixote

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0142437239/sr=1-4/qid=1156439377/ref=sr_1_4/002-3547063-8305627?ie=UTF8&s=books

Old man reads too many books on Chivalry, and decides to take these inspirations into action, seeking to right wrongs and uplift his people from humanities' rotten values.  

Many fear its length, but I encourage you to persevere. You will be rewarded with a mindblowing book that was ahead of its time and set the standard for all novels after it, which none have yet to match.

"A more profound and powerful work than this is not to be met with...The final and greatest utterance of the human mind"

-Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Essential.

August 24, 2006, 09:05:24 AM
Cosmos - Carl Sagan. In this, respected astrophysicist and long time public TV host (of his own show called Cosmos...probably the coolest thing ever on tv) explains to a bewildered world the mysteries of our known universe. Allthough there is a little bit of science jargon, the man had a way with words...so don't worry if you never passed that chemistry class in high school, it'll make sense if you can read well.

Metal? Well, Fenriz probably read this before releasing Neptune Towers. And besides, science and metal together represent hardcore reality.

August 24, 2006, 02:26:03 PM
Red Dragon (Thomas Harris) This book is probably the most excellent specimen of psycho horror fiction. Francis Dolarhyde is more metal than say, Leatherface or Jason Vorhees combined. Unfortunately, the movie version (not the Michael Mann indie release) is a goddamn sacriliege.

The Antichrist (Friedrich Nietzsche) Nietzsche mocking christianity is truly potent and his ideas about the Overman is prophetic considering the many artists and scientists of our times who have overcome the mediocre values of the herd.

Judas, My Brother (Frank Yerby) Jesus Christ as all too human or more human than human. This will make Scorsese's The Last Temptation of Christ film seem like a film for Pope Benedict.

August 24, 2006, 03:29:25 PM
The mood in a lot of Edgar Allen Poe's works invoke the same feelings as a lot of the music I listen to...

August 25, 2006, 03:28:12 PM
The Odyssey (Homer): Epic art in Western civilization gets many cues from here. Tells of an individual that overcomes impossible odds through amoral means (eg: Odysseus was the man of many twists and turns).

The Stranger (Camus): A hedonistic-realist gets condemned by an overly moralistic society.

August 26, 2006, 12:34:50 PM
"Les Chants De Maldoror" is very black metal.

Yashka

August 26, 2006, 11:10:54 PM
Naked Lunch is 'metal'?? I'd say it was more punk rock but that's just me. And I'd say that the adminstrator was falling into hyperbole territory when he says the 'Goes on a 30 year heroin binge' since Burroughs was only on junk a couple more times after that.

August 27, 2006, 12:42:38 AM
Naked Lunch is 'metal'?? I'd say it was more punk rock but that's just me. And I'd say that the adminstrator was falling into hyperbole territory when he says the 'Goes on a 30 year heroin binge' since Burroughs was only on junk a couple more times after that.

Yeah, but metal is partially punk isn't it? (The good parts of punk; the bad discarded).

I'd say William S. Burroughs is part old-school industrial, part punk rock, part hippie, part modern, part timeless.

Does this sound like a music genre you know of? It seems to me that William S. Burroughs is fucking death metal.

Edit: Didn't he invent using "heavy metal" as a metaphor for our modern condition?

August 27, 2006, 02:31:32 AM
HG Wells War of the Worlds anyone?