Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

What to do after high school

What to do after high school
May 29, 2011, 12:15:01 AM
 I don't expect or want an answer that is necessarily specific to me, but rather, general suggestions to young hessian men who are fresh out of high school. Any advice is appreciated.

Re: What to do after high school
May 29, 2011, 01:32:59 AM
a. Go to college/university
b. Get a job (preferably one with positive long term prospects)
c. Join the army
d. Become homeless
e. Develop yourself through educating yourself

Depending on your personal situation some of these options are cop outs. But the world is yours, all you need to do is take it.

May 29, 2011, 02:33:49 AM
I guess I need to have a good think about this. Next year I'll be finished high school and I'll be taking a break year in Vanuatu (the idea is to get away from society), but after that I really don't know.

May 29, 2011, 03:15:46 AM
c. Join the army
d. Become homeless

Depending on your personal situation some of these options are cop outs. But the world is yours, all you need to do is take it.

e. is mandatory regardless of which of the other 4 you choose.

May 29, 2011, 03:26:45 AM
c. Join the army
d. Become homeless

e. is mandatory regardless of which of the other 4 you choose.

Yes, but accomplishing nothing and calling it option e. is a cop out. Self-development can be easily cheated on since there is no supervisor.

May 29, 2011, 05:39:11 AM
A mentorship would be ideal, in my opinion. Non-individualised education is hardly an education

Given that this may not be a realistic option, you may create a mentor for yourself; some Philosopher perhaps.

May 29, 2011, 11:18:32 AM
c. Join the army
d. Become homeless

Stay away from "C". You might think "A" could be accomplished by doing "C" but you'll most likely end up a "D" without a "B". Thus going the long way around "E".

May 29, 2011, 12:02:06 PM
A and B are the best options. That's what I'm doing. I just graduated and I have a job and I'm going to school in the Fall.
I've been telling you this the whole time Nathan!

May 29, 2011, 06:35:12 PM
I don't really want to go to any post secondary education, not saying i WON'T, just that i really loathe the idea of spending 4-8 years at some liberal university campus being taught bullshit. And then afterwards trying to get a job in some irrelevant field only to find a mediocre job that pays very little and then having to try and pay my student loans off. I'd honestly rather just learn a trade or something that could actually support me, instead of doing what i want to do, which is teach history, or become involved in archaeological work. The difficulty i face is only augmented by the fact that the USA and the rest of the western world is decaying and crumbling before my eyes. I would be satisfied living in a small, European, agrarian based community and focusing on reading/writing and music. Of course that is not really a viable solution. However, that is my "dream" if you will. To live in a simple, western European community where i know my neighbors and can focus on writing, reading, nature, conservative politics, and heavy metal. Ideally doing something simple and satisfying for a living.

May 29, 2011, 08:24:17 PM
You can still make it happen.  If you have a trade which is in demand in a European country and you are willing to go through the long process of gaining residency there, you can do so.  If you do decide to go to a university in the end, you could find a balance between wealth and occupational fulfillment.  Just do not fall into the trap of entering a type of job that you will hate because as you know, once you are burdened past a certain point, escape is difficult.

There are study abroad programs which will be available to students who wish to go overseas.  Some of these can in fact lead to a full transfer to a decent European university if the school will take all of your credit work.  If you want to teach, teach.  You definitely realize that practicality is important at a young age.

These may help you:

Studying abroad:
http://www.ciee.org/study/index.aspx
http://internationalcenter.umich.edu/swt/study/studyabroad1.html

As for trades schools, you probably have to look locally to avoid scams and for-profit chain schools.

http://www.careerplanner.com/Career-Articles/Hot_Jobs.cfm
http://www.transitionsabroad.com/listings/work/careers/articles/workinginwesterneurope.shtml

May 29, 2011, 10:38:40 PM
University is a total joke by this point. Apparently it has been a joke for a long time, but now especially so.

Unless you really know what you're doing I wouldn't recommend it. If you're just going because it's the thing to do, then reconsider your options.

Once you get out of school, go straight into work. Get real world experience, and train your mind by yourself (you can use tertiary education resources here). Once you find your calling, unleash yourself in your own way, whether this be through entrepeneurship, artistic or intellectual achievement, social change, or anything else you come up with.

Don't think you have to be a lone wolf throughout all this. You should be able to survive purely on your own, but you should be looking for a group to join which will best allow you to make use of your particular talents. Keep your eyes open, your body moving and your mind developing.

May 30, 2011, 01:21:38 AM
To live in a simple, western European community where i know my neighbors and can focus on writing, reading, nature, conservative politics, and heavy metal. Ideally doing something simple and satisfying for a living.

Don't be an armchair philosopher if you really want to become a philosopher. In liberal Academics they will challenge as much you will challenge them, and you will learn methodology. Not an easy option, but it will make you solid... that if you're interested in politics. Also, there're some conservative members in Academics, but we really need more right-wing thinkers in Academics to break the fantasy of their liberal PC palace which has dominated its population. I don't personally agree with the left-right dichotomy, but for practical reasons, I think that we really need real PLURALISM in Academics, and that includes nationalists, traditionalists, capitalists, etc.

Careers like engineerings are good option if you want to be more productive than the average academic pundit, and also you are much less likely to deal with liberalism there.

May 30, 2011, 02:30:08 AM
To live in a simple, western European community where i know my neighbors and can focus on writing, reading, nature, conservative politics, and heavy metal. Ideally doing something simple and satisfying for a living.

Don't be an armchair philosopher if you really want to become a philosopher. In liberal Academics they will challenge as much you will challenge them, and you will learn methodology. Not an easy option, but it will make you solid... that if you're interested in politics. Also, there're some conservative members in Academics, but we really need more right-wing thinkers in Academics to break the fantasy of their liberal PC palace which has dominated its population. I don't personally agree with the left-right dichotomy, but for practical reasons, I think that we really need real PLURALISM in Academics, and that includes nationalists, traditionalists, capitalists, etc.

I would say not to take Academics seriously enough in the first place to bother making your way up in their ranks, but on the other hand this is a good way to change things.

If you are an Analytic Thinker, then Academia is a good way to go, but if you are a Synthetic Thinker, then avoid, avoid, avoid.

I would be satisfied living in a small, European, agrarian based community and focusing on reading/writing and music. Of course that is not really a viable solution. However, that is my "dream" if you will. To live in a simple, western European community where i know my neighbors and can focus on writing, reading, nature, conservative politics, and heavy metal. Ideally doing something simple and satisfying for a living.

Keep this as a dream, at least for the next chapter of your life. Reality is shaped by Ideality.

June 17, 2011, 03:37:54 PM
I don't expect or want an answer that is necessarily specific to me, but rather, general suggestions to young hessian men who are fresh out of high school.

Every day, think hard for ten minutes about what you want to have accomplished by the time you're age 80.