Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

"dream like" black metal

"dream like" black metal
June 12, 2011, 11:50:17 AM
To me Burzums "Hvis lyset tar oss" and Darkthrones "Transilvanian Hunger" have a very "dreamlike" quality to them. It almost doesnt feel real and  can usually help me fall asleep peacefully. Are there any other black metal  albums that sound like this?  I have tried other Burzum albums and the work well too. I cant really say the same for Darkthrone. "Transilvanian Hunger"  sounds so different from anything else they've done In my opinion.

Re: "dream like" black metal
June 12, 2011, 12:58:48 PM
Rotting Christ's Non Serviam and Sacramentum's Far Away From the Sun are the first works that come into my mind when thinking about "dreamlike" BM.

June 12, 2011, 02:25:36 PM
It's probably due to the rather bizarre structuring of the songs, which is locally coherent, yet can't be understood within our usual worldview.

The effect is that we are taken to a different world, a world in which the structures do make sense.

June 12, 2011, 10:53:57 PM
ENGRAM

And Enslaved's debut too, most obviously.

June 12, 2011, 11:38:35 PM
Gehenna - First Spell

June 13, 2011, 11:18:58 PM
A great deal of Black Metal is, almost by definition, fantastical.  The line between "dream like" and fantastical is pretty thin.  I suppose Summoning, Avzhia, and I Shalt Become could be added to the list of bands here.

June 22, 2011, 12:13:01 PM
Apati - Eufori

peristil

June 27, 2011, 07:48:19 AM
Midnight Odyssey

August 27, 2011, 04:43:01 AM
Ah, I forgot about this thread. Thanks for the suggestions. I'm fairly new to the genre so I heard som great stuff. As far as "dream like" goes, I think the production plays a big role. That muffled sound that Transylvanian Hunger, Burzum S/T, Mütiilation, and Yamatu have. So peaceful.

August 27, 2011, 01:20:47 PM
Ah, I forgot about this thread. Thanks for the suggestions. I'm fairly new to the genre so I heard som great stuff. As far as "dream like" goes, I think the production plays a big role. That muffled sound that Transylvanian Hunger, Burzum S/T, Mütiilation, and Yamatu have. So peaceful.

peaceful indeed.  good call on Yamatu, but I really only like the first 5 or 6 tracks on that CD.  dude should make a comeback.  like I said, Gehenna - First Spell!  I fall asleep every time!

August 27, 2011, 02:58:35 PM
I fall asleep every time!

Ringing endorsement, there!

I'd listen to boring metal to put myself to sleep, but I'm worried what I'd dream about. "Last night I dreamed I was Phil Anselmo, and I kept walking into bars and screaming ARE YOU TALKIN TO ME? at fat guys."

August 29, 2011, 06:46:08 PM
I fall asleep every time!

Ringing endorsement, there!

I'd listen to boring metal to put myself to sleep, but I'm worried what I'd dream about. "Last night I dreamed I was Phil Anselmo, and I kept walking into bars and screaming ARE YOU TALKIN TO ME? at fat guys."

baahahaha!  I LOL'd hard!

September 07, 2011, 09:27:44 PM
I've been trying to induce lucid dreaming through short daytime naps accompanied by Burzum or Biosphere. My ultimate goal is to be able to allow the music to dictate the direction of the dream. I have very little knowledge on the subject matter so my methods are very experimental, but it has caused for some very interesting mind states to say the least.

September 07, 2011, 09:32:02 PM
but it has caused for some very interesting mind states to say the least.

Such as?