Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

"dream like" black metal

Re: "dream like" black metal
September 07, 2011, 09:42:50 PM
Such as?

I'm not sure I know the words to describe them, especially since the memory fades quickly. My next step is to start writing things down immediately afterwards.

I do remember in one HTLO accompanied session that I was at a campsite with my family and could hear Tomhet in the background. There wasn't anything fantastical about it, but since it was in a forest and dark I'd like to think that was some way Burzum inspired.

September 07, 2011, 11:29:26 PM
It's probably due to the rather bizarre structuring of the songs, which is locally coherent, yet can't be understood within our usual worldview.

The effect is that we are taken to a different world, a world in which the structures do make sense.

Yeah, maybe, maybe... Same as smoking weed, or maybe weed works just the other way around?

September 07, 2011, 11:42:07 PM
I fall asleep every time!

Ringing endorsement, there!

I'd listen to boring metal to put myself to sleep, but I'm worried what I'd dream about. "Last night I dreamed I was Phil Anselmo, and I kept walking into bars and screaming ARE YOU TALKIN TO ME? at fat guys."

Nah, you wouldn't do that.

Boring metal irritates and awakens me, however if I get into when listening to GOOD metal, not necessarily "dream-like" or "fantastic-epic", even pretty violent stuff  works well, then the music do carries me to a "dream like" state that usually lasts almost the whole album, and finally I fall asleep.

September 07, 2011, 11:55:11 PM
Such as?

I'm not sure I know the words to describe them, especially since the memory fades quickly. My next step is to start writing things down immediately afterwards.

I do remember in one HTLO accompanied session that I was at a campsite with my family and could hear Tomhet in the background. There wasn't anything fantastical about it, but since it was in a forest and dark I'd like to think that was some way Burzum inspired.

many times it's not that much because memory fades away as because threre are not words to describe many dreams: at first "sight" into your own remembering it's looks like easy to explain, until you try to put the dream into words, either talking or writting, and you find you can't.

Another thing: music can carry dreams with it, but usual noises while dreaming can induce a musical dream, even the fuckin' knocker-up, I swear; I guess many of you have experimented this too.

September 08, 2011, 06:21:34 PM
GRAVELAND - IMMORTAL PRIDE

September 09, 2011, 04:21:46 PM
Boring metal irritates and awakens me, however if I get into when listening to GOOD metal, not necessarily "dream-like" or "fantastic-epic", even pretty violent stuff  works well, then the music do carries me to a "dream like" state that usually lasts almost the whole album, and finally I fall asleep.

Inqusition and Darkthrones early output induce such trance-like feelings. I feel the logical progression through repetition creates an ethereal and even aurally pleasurable experience, which induces a state of being half-awake.

September 10, 2011, 11:45:50 PM
Im surprised nobody has mentioned Summoning they have the most dreamy songs i have ever heard. If "dream like" means projections of places you only can imagine in your head.

September 11, 2011, 06:28:14 AM
Someone mentioned them on the first page. Their second and third albums are amazing. I'm going to start reading lord of the rings now.

November 26, 2011, 06:36:27 PM
About 2 or 3 years ago, there was about a 6 month period where I would fall asleep to Mayhem - Live In Leipzig every single night. Worked well for me.

November 26, 2011, 08:31:11 PM
Parts of Sorcier des Glaces - Snowland might qualify. Brilliant stuff.