Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Amebix - Knights of the Black Sun

Re: Amebix - Knights of the Black Sun
June 10, 2011, 12:45:22 PM
I find the music and the video really clichéd. I could maybe stand this sort of thing once on the album but if its all like this then I won't be listening to it much at all.  Complete mis-use of ogham script in the video, which really annoys me. Terrible video.

June 11, 2011, 09:06:01 AM
I think it's a good tune, albeit a commercial tune. If I make that exception for Iron Maiden and Judas Priest, why not for Amebix?

Iron Maiden - the Blaze Bayley era notwithstanding - have been fairly consistent for, what, 30 years?  They've released at least seven absolute classics that are definitive of the genre.  Most of the band members are now pushing 100 years old and still managing to release pretty decent music - I thought The Final Frontier was an excellent effort.  And when the time came to release something new last year, Harris and Co. didn't get together and decide to reinvent themselves by sounding like U2. Judas Priest are a far more specious argument since they've been effectively finished as a worthwhile recording band since (maybe) 1990.  And while they did manage to churn out a few classics, I don't believe their back catalog is nearly as strong as many believe it to be. They're also largely responsible for ushering in the "metal image" at the expense of metal music, which led to the Def Leppards and Poisons of the world. Amebix on the other hand have existed primarily in folklore for the majority of their history.  The sparsity of their catalog requires excuses to be made for their output, and on that basis, I can't behind one dud single released after 20+ years of irrelevance.  

June 14, 2011, 12:10:18 AM
This song takes about three minutes to get as good as Leatherface in the early 90's and then falls well short of any other expectations immediately thereafter.  I actually like it at points, but to be fair it's not that great of a song.  It mostly just makes me wish I was listening to Leatherface, who did this style of pop way better two decades ago.

June 14, 2011, 12:18:17 AM
Addendum: I do like the content a lot more than Leatherface's emo crap, but the instrumentation falls short of their urgency.

June 17, 2011, 03:31:02 PM
I think it's a good song. It's epic public heavy metal.

It's much better than Pantera, Tool, HIM, etc.

Sign me the fuck up for more!

June 19, 2011, 08:57:49 PM
I think it's a good song. It's epic public heavy metal.

It's much better than ARE YOU TALKIN TO ME?, Tool, HIM, etc.

Sign me the fuck up for more!
Why the fuck do we need indie metal when we already have Iron Maiden and early Metallica? Are they no longer relevant as popular metal? I'm not one for dwelling on the past, but this track is neither heavy, nor metal. Its just some Iron Maiden melody(like the ones used by emo bands hehehehehehe) put into a post rock song. Nothing to see here.

June 20, 2011, 01:19:56 AM
Time moves on. New decades want different expressions to cope with what's going on at the time. 1980s metal is now classic rock, old guys touring like the Rolling Stones. What's next? You either become cheerleaders for your past and play songs you wrote when you were 18, or you try something else.

June 20, 2011, 11:56:20 AM
Time moves on. New decades want different expressions to cope with what's going on at the time. 1980s metal is now classic rock, old guys touring like the Rolling Stones. What's next? You either become cheerleaders for your past and play songs you wrote when you were 18, or you try something else.
Yes. If its good, its good, but if its shit, its shit. Just because the shit is coming out of the ass of a band that used to be good doesn't make that shit good. Unless you think we should all be listening to The Unspoken King. Hey, thats a cutting edge popular style too!

But seriously with all the whining about how we need to move on from the past you've been doing lately, you're starting to sound like a hipster O P E T H fan. I know its been a long time since there's been new (real) metal, but hang in there and stop whining and accepting shitty new stuff. When there's good new stuff, you'll know it, because it will be better than anything that came before. Just nip the whiny giveupitis in the bud, because its making you look like a moron.

June 21, 2011, 07:29:35 AM
right up front - I've never listened to Amebix.  I listened to this song once and I didn't like it.  But I read this thread and I don't understand how people don't understand the context this is being put in.

The result is something they can play on MTV that keeps the values of masculine power

It's strategic for ANUS to monitor the limbo in between super-duper mainstream, and obscure underground.

June 21, 2011, 09:30:05 AM
right up front - I've never listened to Amebix.  I listened to this song once and I didn't like it.  But I read this thread and I don't understand how people don't understand the context this is being put in.

The result is something they can play on MTV that keeps the values of masculine power

It's strategic for ANUS to monitor the limbo in between super-duper mainstream, and obscure underground.
I'll tell you what this shit will do. It'll bring in a ton of people (the music press included) who otherwise only listen to indie. They will ignore the early Amebix albums for the most part, while trying to soak in the "crust" credibility. There's little to no chance that they will see a relationship between this and metal. So all this is doing for us is dividing the people who like it and the people who don't. Thats ok, because those of us who like it need to really reevaluate their standards.

June 21, 2011, 10:04:32 AM

I'm not going to eat shit just because it's got strawberry ice cream flavor additives.