Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

New "Old School Death Metal"

Re: New "Old School Death Metal"
April 05, 2012, 10:44:01 PM
Blaspherian reveals itself more with each listen. The riff on Infernal Warriors of Death - what does that sound like?

Antediluvian managed to keep my interest as well but I need to give that one a few more to determine if I like it as much as the others.

Enjoying being sequestered putting album after album away.

April 06, 2012, 02:36:06 AM
Antediluvian really needs to return to the style of "Under Wing of Azazel". The last two were slightly disappointing.

April 06, 2012, 01:16:39 PM
I had forgotten about Father Befouled until they were mentioned here. VERY underwhelming, and no surprise Relapse snapped them up. Totally cookie cutter stuff from what I remember. Plus the name, awful stuff. Sounds like an old man shit himself in a respite home. Plus the cover artwork is so generic

I have not checked out the Grave Miasma LP - which is unfortunate as I loved the Goat Molestor 7" they released before changing their name. I'm going to have to order that before it goes OOP.

April 07, 2012, 06:04:26 PM
For me I think the new Cruciamentum is just totally 100% top notch. A full LP of this would just be incredible. I am going to have to order the demo 10" and the split 7" asap to get myself caught up. To my ears the MLP sounds like a mix of the best elements of RoC Bolt Thrower mixed with early Incantation and that is a definite winner....

The new Embrace Of Thorns, as well really made an impact. I suspect that has more black metal elements for the scope of this discussion, but really is a great album.

April 07, 2012, 11:23:04 PM
I'm gonna check out Embrace of Thorns later. Appreciate the name drop sir.

April 08, 2012, 02:17:42 AM
I decided it was my turn to do some digging.  So far I've listened to one song each from the following bands...

Omision
Venenum
Horrendous
Tormented
Disfigured Dead
Karnarium
Lvcifyre
Wrathprayer
Hooded Menace
Gorephilia
Corpsessed
Bastard Priest
Claws
Invidious
Obliteration
Mandatory
Tribulation
Crucifiction
Hatespawn
Necrovorous
Kaamos
Drowned

Of those the only ones that interested me enough to download are...

Hooded Menace - Probably closer to doom metal, simple but good sense of melody and atmosphere
Gorephilia - Straight out of the old school, somewhat progressive approach
Obliteration - The most compositionally interesting of all, will require more careful listening

These were the most interesting, I'm also looking into...

Corpsessed
Bastard Priest - Regressive death metal that hasn't evolved beyond its influences, but done well enough to be enjoyable
Claws
Crucifiction - Reasonably creative br00thurl death metal.  Attempts to go beyond cyclic song structure.

If anyone has heard the above bands and could offer comment before I spend time listening to their albums it would be appreciated.  The rest of the bands are mostly just exercises in rock cliches, although I've singled out two for comment.

Wrathprayer and Hatespawn.  Both of these bands have good ideas and are technically competent, therefore they will be praised as geniuses by most of the metal community.  The only problem is they are incapable of incorporating these ideas into a coherent whole, instead each riff stands alone and never develops.  Probably a few of the bands fit into this category, although these are the two that stood out.  Half way through their songs I was feeling optimistic, but by the time the track was over I had lost interest.

April 09, 2012, 03:32:47 AM
Venenum's EP I have just gave a spin and liked quit a bit.

Gorephilia seemed ok, but pretty much stuck in the pack with a lot of the stuff out there today. I'll give it a couple more listens. Didn't sound too bad, didn't stand out. I don't know if based on what I heard this will be something I'd stick with very long.

Exceration - Odes of the Occult I listened to for the first time today after different friends of mine hyped it as one of the best if not the best 2011 albums and after a short adjustment period I was blown away. Check this shit out asap.

Necrowretch and Profaner were also recommended to me, and they're ok for what they are in this style, but neither left me craving for more.

April 09, 2012, 03:12:19 PM
That Execration LP is fucking awesome. I always forget about them for some reason, but every time I spin the LP I'm really impressed. They did this 2x7" called OSLO WE ROT with Obituary parody artwork, I didn't find a copy but it was a really well executed idea.

I kind of forget to lump Necros Christos in with this genre since they're so unique, but it's worth mentioning I thought Doom Of The Occult was the best death metal record of 2011

April 09, 2012, 09:41:29 PM
I tried the Nekropsalms album from Obliteration and zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I'll try it again when I am in a different frame of mind but I couldn't even finish it.

April 10, 2012, 04:41:50 AM
These are aesthetically enjoyable yet ultimately boring. I appreciate the effort, but the old style belongs to the old masters. Show me something new for fuck's sake.

April 10, 2012, 05:19:18 AM
I tried the Nekropsalms album from Obliteration and zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I'll try it again when I am in a different frame of mind but I couldn't even finish it.

That was my initial reaction. Definitely not an immediate pleaser, but I've listened to it twice through now, and it's starting to unfold. I think I like it.

April 10, 2012, 11:31:10 AM
Venenum's EP I have just gave a spin and liked quit a bit.

This one seems good, I dismissed it initially but I gave it a good listen then and it is very engaging, good song development and atmosphere.

That was my initial reaction. Definitely not an immediate pleaser, but I've listened to it twice through now, and it's starting to unfold. I think I like it.

I like this one, although I need to listen a few more times to be sure, there seems to be something difficult to grasp about it.

Checked out Necros Christos, very cool, thoroughly enjoying their latest release.

Hooded Menace I don't really see the appeal of, it wasn't terrible but didn't really stand out in any way, wouldn't listen to this again.

Portals to the Beyond by Crucifiction has held up to a background listen, still not sure about this one.

Also going to check out Temple of Dark Offerings by Ascended later.  Sounds like a Demigod clone although done reasonably convincingly.

April 10, 2012, 02:55:20 PM
After letting it all sink in, my conclusion is that Grave Miasma still tops all of these other bands. I think that The Exalted Emanation is one of the best metal albums of the last decade. Where most of them ultimately come off like a kind of glorified ambient sort of metal (all aesthetic, tone, etc, no real syntax to speak of), The Exalted Emanation comes across as the development and conclusion of a thought. And it's a good thought.

Not that all that other stuff is bad. A lot of potential. High B scores. And Impetuous Ritual is like Portal with substance. Verdict is still out on its lasting value, though.

I agree on Grave Miasma somewhat but I find that fits Cruciamentum, especially on their first one, even more. A full album just like Convocation would probably be one of my favorite releases ever honestly.

I enjoy the new Cruciamentum EP more than the demo. It's definitely slammier and faster with better production, but I don't think it's a departure from the songwriting abilities at all. I hear some Bolt Thrower riffing start to creep into the sound, but I'm sure not complaining about that. I do tend to like these new-old school DM bands a lot, though I know the trend is bound to get annoying if it hasn't gotten that way already and I just haven't realized it myself at this point. I've always wondered what a slammier, percussive Incantation would sound like, that's just one of the reasons among the many I value my copy of the newest Cruciamentum EP and am looking forward to what the newer stuff will sound like.

April 10, 2012, 04:07:21 PM
After letting it all sink in, my conclusion is that Grave Miasma still tops all of these other bands. I think that The Exalted Emanation is one of the best metal albums of the last decade. Where most of them ultimately come off like a kind of glorified ambient sort of metal (all aesthetic, tone, etc, no real syntax to speak of), The Exalted Emanation comes across as the development and conclusion of a thought. And it's a good thought.

Not that all that other stuff is bad. A lot of potential. High B scores. And Impetuous Ritual is like Portal with substance. Verdict is still out on its lasting value, though.

I agree on Grave Miasma somewhat but I find that fits Cruciamentum, especially on their first one, even more. A full album just like Convocation would probably be one of my favorite releases ever honestly.

I enjoy the new Cruciamentum EP more than the demo. It's definitely slammier and faster with better production, but I don't think it's a departure from the songwriting abilities at all. I hear some Bolt Thrower riffing start to creep into the sound, but I'm sure not complaining about that. I do tend to like these new-old school DM bands a lot, though I know the trend is bound to get annoying if it hasn't gotten that way already and I just haven't realized it myself at this point. I've always wondered what a slammier, percussive Incantation would sound like, that's just one of the reasons among the many I value my copy of the newest Cruciamentum EP and am looking forward to what the newer stuff will sound like.

I quite like it too, and certainly don't see the song writing declining, I was just taken aback by the fact it is more similar to USDM, and lost some of the majestic feel I love with the first release so much. The last few weeks have seen me listen to a lot of more new death metal bands than I normally do, and as I hear more and more junk it makes Cruciamentum's new stuff shine even brighter. Like I said, it is still great, it is just my hope they rediscover that unique flavor that guided them to my ears in the first place.

April 11, 2012, 03:34:50 AM
The new Vallenfyre has had me hooked for the past few weeks, but repeated listening has begun to reveal its flaws. Its feels poppy and simple. The standout tracks like Desecration and Cathedrals of Dread prop up what is otherwise an album of filler.