Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

[META] Transcendental Black Metal, by Hunter Hunt-Hendrix (Liturgy)

The English only had Cradle of Filth to be embarrassed about. This band is far worse.

So there are three threads about Hunter's paper? Seems confusing, maybe I should have copied / pasted my response to the other two threads as well...

http://www.anus.com/metal/hall/index.php/topic,13259.0.html
http://www.anus.com/metal/hall/index.php/topic,13267.0.html
http://www.anus.com/metal/hall/index.php/topic,13239.0.html

ITT:

Admin posts a link to some bloviation by what may be a stupid asshole.

Instead of just talking about the topic, stupid assholes have to grandstand and aspie around about how stupid asshole is stupid asshole. Funny, that's exactly what the mainstream metal community did.

In the meantime, original stupid asshole brought up some good topics, but those are gone.

Instead of having an intelligent discussion here, we have bitching and bickering. It's totally stupid. The people responsible are those who could not restrain themselves from interrupting the discussion.

So he's a stupid asshole; so what? You either use this topic to improve on the ideas out there, or you become a stupid asshole like him.

This forum has chosen stupid asshole instead of productive behavior. Stupid, stupid assholes.

So there are three threads about Hunter's paper? Seems confusing, maybe I should have copied / pasted my response to the other two threads as well...

http://www.anus.com/metal/hall/index.php/topic,13259.0.html
http://www.anus.com/metal/hall/index.php/topic,13267.0.html
http://www.anus.com/metal/hall/index.php/topic,13239.0.html

And also, like, the original thread that was, like, made when this guy's paper came out. The forum already made it clear they didn't much care for the guy, no need to do it again, but given that during the initial distancing period there was just about no discussion on the actual contents of the paper, it seems that it may as well be brought up now, and be critiqued in an objective, explicit, non-ad hom fashion (but what the hell fun is a discussion when you can't ad hom?!). Basically, we shouldn't even be paying attention to this Hunter guy in himself at all any more, ya know, il messegaro non e importante and all.

(Black) Metal is being given a philosophical basis, but if that basis is wrong (or at least insufficient), then we should show why this is the case, and why our interpretation is the better one. While we implicitly have a strong case, we have to make it explicit enough to be critiqued non-experientially, and get the right people to take notice, otherwise it will become harder and harder to reclaim the top position.

Pull your finger out then. It says "Moderator" under your user name, so moderate. And do it in a way that you are happy with, not some passive aggressive manner that promotes stupidity, like dividing one shitty thread into three smaller, yet equally shitty threads.

If the original post has substance then it will not descend into retardation so easily. If we are discussing shit to begin with, then don't be surprised when that shit begets more shit.

Pull your finger out then. It says "Moderator" under your user name, so moderate. And do it in a way that you are happy with, not some passive aggressive manner that promotes stupidity, like dividing one shitty thread into three smaller, yet equally shitty threads.

If the original post has substance then it will not descend into retardation so easily. If we are discussing shit to begin with, then don't be surprised when that shit begets more shit.

u mad.

ITT: [rant about how some of the people here are shit or something]

ITT: admin supports absolute fucktard who reiterates well known concepts (GETS THEM WRONG) and user base says "fuck this shit, man".

If you want to avoid the ire of the local populace, then don't prod them with a fucking stick.  Every matter of any substance that is brought up in Hipster Hipster Hipster's "manifesto" has been discussed many a time by many people in many different environments to many different ends.  The rest of it is gross verbiage and fundamentally wrong perspectives, on many (all?) levels.  How you can proffer such a thing and then ask the users of this forum to swallow any part of it without calling into question the fact that a: it sucks, b: the writer of it sucks, and c: it's been done before to greater effect, is entirely beyond my ability to understand.  "Hey, you like to poop?  This guy wrote a great book about pooping in his hands, I think you should read it."

Fuck this shit, man.

ITT: admin supports absolute fucktard who reiterates well known concepts (GETS THEM WRONG) and user base says "fuck this shit, man".

If you want to avoid the ire of the local populace, then don't prod them with a fucking stick.  Every matter of any substance that is brought up in Hipster Hipster Hipster's "manifesto" has been discussed many a time by many people in many different environments to many different ends.  The rest of it is gross verbiage and fundamentally wrong perspectives, on many (all?) levels.  How you can proffer such a thing and then ask the users of this forum to swallow any part of it without calling into question the fact that a: it sucks, b: the writer of it sucks, and c: it's been done before to greater effect, is entirely beyond my ability to understand.  "Hey, you like to poop?  This guy wrote a great book about pooping in his hands, I think you should read it."

Fuck this shit, man.

WELL FUCKING SAID

Fuck this shit, man.

Jesus fucking Christ, this is everything I hate about conservatives.

Hey man, there's a world out there. Events in it are happening. They may need addressing.

Even more, if they're a new way to introduce your talking points, why not?

HHH is a douchebag... yes, well, EVERYONE in black metal post-1995 is a douchebag. Either you're trying to re-live a past that's past, or you're trying to resurrect the corpse by pouring in soda water and mango juice.

The horse is beaten, will not rise, and in fact has been reeking for some time...

The reactionary fringe on this forum are terrible. Either find something you like in the world and talk about it, or agree not to talk, but this double standard of pretending it's 1993 and then shitting on everything else is just BORING.

Most people who are not fanatics about black metal have no idea of its transcendental past.

This forum is not a clubhouse for diehards, but a living community. Others need space in this discussion to learn and explore, and they need guidance from old-guarders (you're 41, right?) not reactionary bullshit.

What they need is a collection of articles, reviews, and summaries pertaining to the best of Metal (in terms of Music and Philosophy) that has ever existed.

http://www.anus.com/metal

I don't see Shiturgy here.

I first started visiting ANUS and the DLA five/six years ago, when I was fourteen/fifteen (wish I were 41, and releasing my music to an unsuspecting populace twenty years ago).  There was no Liturgy then - I don't remember anything at all about this "hipster" crap that we have nowadays - but there was the DLA.  The best things that I've learnt about Metal since then have been learnt through the DLA, not through listening to bullshit, faggy music, reading the retarded "opinions" of the writers of such farcical nonsense, and then having the common sense to disregard such things all on my lonesome ("but pooping in your hands is stupid, isn't it?"), but by reading what intelligent people have written about good albums and then going out and getting those albums to see if I can get the same result.

What is your concern with the human world?  I can understand careful observation, so as to get an understanding of what not to do, but you and I, and probably everyone else here, knows that everything that exists now is going down the shitter, one way or another.  I'm not suggesting that this is your goal, but it is absolutely fruitless to attempt to turn back time even further back than '93 and reinvent modern society as a healthy organism - the onus is on us not to prevent disaster, but to collect and salvage all that is good in this world, that it might survive whatever calamity is pending (natural, economic, military, Cthulhu).  This is partially why we have the DLA: it's an archive of worthwhile material, presented as a portal to "those who weren't there", that they might reap the same benefits as those who are 41.

Tell you what - why don't we turn the DLA into an archive of everything that has ever been called "Metal", even jokingly?  Hell, you're already putting HHH's bullshit in a time capsule for future generations because it "introduces [our] talking points".

Blah blah blah, I really need to chill sometimes.

What is your concern with the human world?  I can understand careful observation, so as to get an understanding of what not to do, but you and I, and probably everyone else here, knows that everything that exists now is going down the shitter, one way or another.  I'm not suggesting that this is your goal, but it is absolutely fruitless to attempt to turn back time even further back than '93 and reinvent modern society as a healthy organism - the onus is on us not to prevent disaster, but to collect and salvage all that is good in this world, that it might survive whatever calamity is pending (natural, economic, military, Cthulhu).  This is partially why we have the DLA: it's an archive of worthwhile material, presented as a portal to "those who weren't there", that they might reap the same benefits as those who are 41.

Many people seem to be trying to make this about HHH or Liturgy, but it's not. It's about a paper and what it means.

You want to bring back all that's good in the world? GET INVOLVED.

That begins with having a hand in when current events are discussed, and turning that discussion back toward the real.

Conservatives failed because they waved a weary hand at the world and said, "It's all shit, I quit," and went home to a pot of tea and a digital catamite.

This forum fails because people want to turn it into a little clubhouse for those who are "in the know" and not interact with others. I think that's nonsense. We have to interact with what's current, and get involved with it..

Running away hasn't worked for a millennium or two now

You're backing a loser here man. Liturgy is transparently vacuous, and they have made a ham-fisted attempt to add gravitas to their product with a poorly planned high school essay filled with google-optimized buzz words.

Be careful what you attach your personal seal of approval to. Because if you drop a truffle into a shit you waste a truffle; you don't make a delicacy of a turd. You may be risking your own website's hard-fought-for credibility by promoting these people.