Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Metal as European Romanticism

Re: Metal as European Romanticism
December 30, 2006, 12:04:38 AM
i know it was a movement that encompasses all forms of art, but you didn't answer my question, i still want to now what direct impact literature of the period had upon metal?

Even so all art from the period has similar values each medium expresses new ideas that aren't covered very well or at all by the other forms of art, did any of these ideas only expressed by literature impact upon metal?

December 11, 2007, 01:56:14 AM
It seems like some new members have joined bringing discord with them. The hopeless ones are almost invariably those who will not stay their contentious impulses until after they fully understand what the local culture has learned. That's rarely intentional disrespect, mostly it's foolishness. For those who would prefer to learn what the local culture knows and not waste everyone's time, the main website has a lot of original material to get you up to speed:

The History of Heavy Metal Music
The Philosophy of Heavy Metal

December 12, 2007, 12:02:30 AM
I think it's a new idea for people that a website might have ideas with it.

They're used to websites being like fast food stores, where you drive up and say your piece, they hand you some shit and you drive home. God help you if you eat that crap, you'll shit blood.

April 03, 2009, 08:16:10 PM
Metal to me represents a continuation of much of Romantic literature:

- Dante's Inferno
- Milton's Paradise Lost
- Blake
- Coleridge
- Wordsworth
- Poe/Shelley/Stoker (late Romanticism --> Gothic)
- Hesse
- Nietzsche (fond of Romantics, although he recognized their fatal Enlightenment-derived flaws)

Who else?

April 04, 2009, 04:52:44 PM
I often hesitate to link Metal directly to Romanticism, primarily because most of the British Romantics I know (early Coleridge and Wordsworth, Byron, Shelley, even Keats) were "liberals", whose opinions on many things I fiercely disagree with.  However, in terms of the perspectives on art, primarily poetic and prosaic literature, I would class even myself as "a Romantic".  I can certainly see links between Metal and Gothic/Dark Romantic literature, mostly in the use of horror, terror, fear etc. as primary sources of inspiration, or even subject matter.

People have too little respect for the Graveyard Poets, whose works would almost certainly be called "Romantic", if Paradise Lost can be considered as such.

October 04, 2009, 04:23:45 PM
The point remains: metal and Romanticism were both post-revolutionary and instead, evolutionary and conservative in the epic way that all great art is. The stuff afterwards is degeneracy and, as Black Sabbath themselves said, metal is a reaction AGAINST that.

October 05, 2009, 04:16:43 AM
I always worry that romanticism will descend into blind worship of the past and over emotionalism. To what extent do true hessians and metal bands need to be wary of this possibility? Does romanticism lend itself to these things or pave the way or i am i completely off the mark? If it does how can this revelation be applied to metal today,understanding the evolution,or rather stagnation of metal, as a degeneration of the true romantic spirit into emotionalism and "everything was better in past",woe is me......

November 12, 2009, 02:37:17 PM
And the debate over Romanticism in metal gets resurrected at the Limited Vinyl Now! forums.