Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Did thrash get assimilated by speed metal?

Did thrash get assimilated by speed metal?
June 20, 2011, 04:44:50 AM
I've sort of noticed that after alot of the classic thrash bands' first couple of releases, they seem to unconsciously adopt a more speed metal approach.

Examples:

from Suicidal Tendencies' self-titled to Join the Army
from Prong's Primitive Origins/Force Fed to Beg to Differ
from Corrosion of Conformity's Eye for an Eye to Animosity

Dead Brain Cells always seemed compatible with speed metal in some way as well(possibly their Voivodian nature).

I'm not sure about D.R.I., as I've only extensively listened to their first two, but they might fit into this pattern somewhere.

This theory would also explain the confusion of the term "thrash metal".

Thoughts?

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

First thought is this: if you've been playing thrash for an album or two, you're going to get bored and explore new horizons. No one except that pathological wants to keep re-making Dealing With It. Once is enough.

It's like those Discharge clone bands that all live in vans by the river. Keep hammering on that dead horse, boys, maybe it'll be 1982 again someday.

If you've mastered thrash, speed metal or death metal is the next step.

DRI fits into your pattern with Four of a Kind.

You might also be able to fit Cryptic Slaughter into this pattern, but their stuff after Money Talks sucks dick.  I don't know that they ever truly escaped their punk roots, though.  I also don't think they would have been better off jumping fully into Speed Metal or trying Death Metal.

You might also be able to fit Cryptic Slaughter into this pattern, but their stuff after Money Talks sucks dick.  I don't know that they ever truly escaped their punk roots, though.  I also don't think they would have been better off jumping fully into Speed Metal or trying Death Metal.
I think you might need to give "Stream of Consciousness" another listen.

I think Thrash is a more difficult genre than Speed Metal. To me, Speed Metal is closer to simple rock music. It's easy to make thrash, making good thrash is a different story.

Ildjarn's Forest Poetry and Cryptic Slaughter's Stream of Consciousness have some things in common.
”The Revolution ends by devouring its own children” – Jacques Mallet du Pan, 1793

I still maintain that Stream of Consciousness is bologna.

Ildjarn's Forest Poetry and Cryptic Slaughter's Stream of Consciousness have some things in common.
All of Ildjarn's Black Metal material has a strong Punk-like character.  I think it could be viewed as what RAC or Absurd styled music could be at it's best.  That is, if it were depoliticized and focused with a deeper view.