Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Classical Movies

Classical Movies
June 20, 2011, 12:56:59 PM
I expect many of these aren't going to be ripped online, so here are previews and links to amazon.

Alfred Brendel: Man and Mask (part 1/8, Youtube, one of the links is corrupt)

Bruckner's Entscheidung (Bruckner's Decision), 1995 (Amazon, imdb, excerpt)

Chronik der Anna Magdalena Bach (The Chronicle of Anna...), 1968 (Amazon, imdb, excerpt)

Tous les matins du monde (All the Mornings of the World), 1991 (Amazon, imdb, excerpt)
available in French full on YouTube with Spanish subs

Felix Draeseke: Eine Schicksal zwischen Liszt und Brahms (...A Destiny between Liszt...)
available in full in German, no subs

Copying Beethoven (part 1/11, Youtube complete) 2006 (Amazon, imdb)

contribute anything you feel applies (haven't seen Amadeus, I'm told by everyone it's a complete waste of time).

Re: Classical Movies
July 18, 2011, 06:11:19 PM
As already mentioned, Amadeus is not really anything to get excited about, being more a historical fiction than actual history, but is rather famous.

Another famous one is Immortal Beloved and isn't any better.  It's kind of a mystery tale trying to figure out who Beethoven's "immortal beloved" was.  Entertaining mainly for Gary Oldman's acting.

A much better work is Krzysztof Kieslowski's Trois Couleurs:Bleu telling the tale of coping with the loss of loved ones, woven around the theme of composing a "Song for the Unification of Europe."  This is another well known and easily found film.  The whole trilogy is worth watching.

July 31, 2011, 06:04:21 PM

August 05, 2011, 08:58:40 PM
Clockwork Orange is pretty much the most awesome movie ever, and every time I watch it, I end up listening to nothing but Beethoven for like a week.

October 01, 2011, 08:43:35 PM
I recently saw the film Coco Chanel & Igor Stravinsky which was relatively weak on the whole, though it did give an interesting depiction of the disastrous premiere of The Rite of Spring. I think it would be hard to find a film/document that tries to convey a sense of the music itself, rather than the ego-drama of the musician.

October 07, 2011, 02:19:37 PM
The Legacy of Karl Richter, 1/8
German with English subs

October 10, 2011, 04:57:29 AM
Dissenter alert:

I like Amadeus. Firstly, it puts his music up front, where it should be, and focuses on his best, most interesting work: the operas. It also treats the music in a mature way, neither succumbing to the numb hero worship of most depictions of artists, or the blandness of someone who wants to turn art into a documentary of dates and times.

Secondly, it destroys this mythological, prettified, and TOTALLY fictional image of Mozart that exists in the collective imagination of moderns as a pure medium through which divine sounds had only to whisper to be subsequently transcribed to paper with difficulty no greater than that of writing a letter. To be sure, Mozart was a talented composer, but he wrote canons called "Lick my ass good and clean", and wrote shit like "bet you can't play this part" in the margins of his horn concertos. Beethoven thought Mozart was immoral for writing Don Giovanni, and rightly so! That opera makes audiences blush to this day.

Point is he was a rude, immature, giddy young adult who was immensely talented, and ultimately whose greatest love was his craft. This is what the movie shows, and not only is it hilarious, but it's probably more accurate than how most composers are portrayed in the movies.

It also shows the distinction between wannabees and true masters, and how politics forces these mediocrities of music into positions of prominence that they don't deserve, only to have history forget them once their work is forced to stand on its own against the test of time, aside Mozart and all other suppressed masters.

If you can turn off your "nothing worthwhile is fun or funny" switch before you watch, I think you'll enjoy the movie, and also get a few things out of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ciFTP_KRy4

October 10, 2011, 12:11:35 PM
I'm a bit surprised nobody mentioned Kinski Paganini, it's been a little while since I've seen it but I remember it was a pretty good movie for what movies are worth. I have no idea how historically accurate it is but it was enjoyable regardless. Klaus Kinski seems like he was a pretty bright guy. A talented actor, at the least.

I like Amadeus.
I'd have to agree, I was pleasantly surprised by how tasteful it was. I was expecting another libertine story tale of a historical figure turned into a champion of the people.

October 10, 2011, 02:27:43 PM
Point is he was a rude, immature, giddy young adult who was immensely talented, and ultimately whose greatest love was his craft. This is what the movie shows, and not only is it hilarious, but it's probably more accurate than how most composers are portrayed in the movies.

It also shows the distinction between wannabees and true masters, and how politics forces these mediocrities of music into positions of prominence that they don't deserve, only to have history forget them once their work is forced to stand on its own against the test of time, aside Mozart and all other suppressed masters.

If you can turn off your "nothing worthwhile is fun or funny" switch before you watch, I think you'll enjoy the movie, and also get a few things out of it.

What you say is true, but I find it difficult to take the film as an exemplar of how to deal with the subject of composers when it is so highly fictionalized; where does the fiction end and the history begin?

October 10, 2011, 04:54:00 PM

There are people who have that switch? Man what a bunch of doofuses. Just because you're having fun or laughing doesn't mean you can't learn something.

All the damn ass pies on this forum need to live a little. That excerpt was hilarious, especially the last part, thanking Christ sarcastically.