Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Under a Funeral Moon or Transilvanian Hunger?

Re: Under a Funeral Moon or Transilvanian Hunger?
December 04, 2004, 11:06:47 AM
Because as we all know Darkthrone always strived to achieve minimalism in their music and TH is the peak of this tendency.As for UAFM, from the musical stand point it is more complex then TH and offers a variety of choice.

I think TH is the more complex of the two; UaFM was pretty straightforward and consistent in mood and tone.

December 05, 2004, 01:46:05 AM

I think TH is the more complex of the two; UaFM was pretty straightforward and consistent in mood and tone.

TH is built on tremolo riffs while UAFM has a number of different approaches to riffing.

December 05, 2004, 08:07:47 AM
Either/Or

December 06, 2004, 10:44:45 AM
TH is built on tremolo riffs while UAFM has a number of different approaches to riffing.

If you're on about technical complexity then sure, but he's not, and neither should you be

December 06, 2004, 11:48:12 AM

If you're on about technical complexity then sure, but he's not, and neither should you be

What defines the complexity then ? Song structures , time changes ? What's your understanding of complexity?
Even if TH is more influential album, I don't see anything that would make it more complex.

September 22, 2006, 06:08:30 PM
While TH was a more important release artistically, I prefer UAFM for it's darker atmosphere and greater variation. TH, though excellent at what it does, gets boring after a while.

Neither gets boring for me, but UAFM seems less artificed. TH is almost like a deliberate attempt to make a work of art to fit a need, while UAFM feels like several dudes doing a Bathory tribute with slightly updated ideas and methods.

September 22, 2006, 06:33:55 PM
Transilvanian Hunger is definitely the more fully articulated release, but I too prefer the sense of spontenaity and wonder found in Under a Funeral Moon.

LEGION

September 22, 2006, 08:07:29 PM
TH

Even the title track's main riff is so hypnotizing, such a pleasant listen, such a beautiful melody.  I get absorbed into it everytime.

transilvanian hunger sucks you in really good.

Niether.

Soulside Journey/A Blaze In The Northern Sky

Why? Because I felt they were out of ideas, completely done, after these two albums.

What defines the complexity then ? Song structures , time changes ? What's your understanding of complexity?
Even if TH is more influential album, I don't see anything that would make it more complex.

Emotional complexity.  

I basically have the same opinion as the majority here (oh noes...) with TH being the bigger artistic statement (with more "emotional complexity") but UAFM finding it's way into my CD player more often.  

And I'd also like to say that A Blaze in the Northern Sky was really hit or miss, and highly overrated.  It was a rushed release and it really shows.  Almost all the songs have good parts (more often than not the second half of the song) and "Where Cold Winds Blow" is a really underrated track, but overall the album just doesn't fit together very well.

Emotional complexity.

That's up to interpretation.

the answer will be different for everyone i am guessing. i can't answer completely truthfully as i haven't listened to either album nearly enough, but I will say it will be tough to decide ;-)