Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Cianide - Gods of Death

Cianide - Gods of Death
June 25, 2011, 12:34:29 AM

SUMMARY: Much better than the last one. Also more varied. They're growing a bit more musical, albeit in some conventional ways. However, they are more focused.

Re: Cianide - Gods of Death
June 25, 2011, 06:15:00 AM
Neato reviews. May end up being better than radikulT.

June 28, 2011, 11:27:08 AM
I cherry picked the track on the Death Metal.org to the left called "Forsaken Doom." I don't really care to listen to the other track.

To my ears this is completely vapid. The song has no momentum, it does not go any where. For this reason it is indistinguishable from the experience offered by most Metal (ie elevator music for those with inner rage). The opening riff-set is the same as the conclusion. We don't arrive somewhere different from where we started. There isn't much, if any attempt, at variation. I think these criticisms can generally be levelled at any C-grade "Thrash" or "Speed" from the 80s, "Death" or "Black" from the 90s or any Metalcore from the 00s. Aesthetically they're all (subjectively) solid if you are not looking for much more than a coherent set of foot-stomping riffs (albeit with a high tendency towards "groove" in Cianide's case). But they place such a high price on rhythmic expectation over melodic substance that I cannot bear to listen more than a few times.

I remember having the exact same problems with their earlier releases. It's plagued by most of the same problems as the majority of Swedish and Dutch DM.

But it lacks the magic of something with a higher degree of internal structure, and I take it that the actual review (which barely touches on the structural elements) leaves this most important criteria (for me) out because there is very little of it to speak about.

As an aside: I take it that the Celtic Frost comparison is more in line with "Morbid Tales" (yawn!) than "To Mega Therion"?

June 28, 2011, 03:35:04 PM
Who in their right mind thinks Morbid Tales is yawn inducing?

From the preview tracks on deathmetal.org, this release sounds quite promising. Cianide has always been simple music. To me, it's a very "love it or hate it" sound. In this respect they are similar to a lot of punk music (which is partially why I enjoy them so much). I'm the kind of person that doesn't need to be taken on an emotional journey every single time I listen to an album. I can sit back and appreciate good exercises in aesthetics with spunk and vigor, which is what Cianide seems to be accomplishing with this album. Basically, what Vesupria finds dull, I find enthralling. I'm going to grab this for sure.

June 29, 2011, 01:45:16 AM

To my ears this is completely vapid. The song has no momentum, it does not go any where. For this reason it is indistinguishable from the experience offered by most Metal (ie elevator music for those with inner rage). The opening riff-set is the same as the conclusion. We don't arrive somewhere different from where we started. There isn't much, if any attempt, at variation. I think these criticisms can generally be levelled at any C-grade "Thrash" or "Speed" from the 80s, "Death" or "Black" from the 90s or any Metalcore from the 00s. Aesthetically they're all (subjectively) solid if you are not looking for much more than a coherent set of foot-stomping riffs (albeit with a high tendency towards "groove" in Cianide's case). But they place such a high price on rhythmic expectation over melodic substance that I cannot bear to listen more than a few times.

I'll second this. I almost thought the OP was trolling because the songs I looked up on youtubes are horrible. Reminds me of Brujeria or Fear Factory almost.

June 30, 2011, 08:04:45 PM
The thing that immediately stick out was the bouncy opening riff for Forsaken Doom sounded quite similar to Putrevore's As They Return, yet a lot weaker than the 2nd-rate NYDM worship. The rest also sounds overly regurgitated.

June 30, 2011, 09:33:04 PM
I think these criticisms can generally be levelled at any C-grade "Thrash" or "Speed" from the 80s, "Death" or "Black" from the 90s or any Metalcore from the 00s.

This sounds like typical C+ norse worshiping BM to me.

I've never written music as bad as this Cianide album (except on purpose).  We really need to have an established and properly located list of qualities (or lack thereof) of D, C, B, and A grade material.  Does such a list exist?  If not, is anybody interested in working on one with me?

As far as this album is concerned, I'm with Vesupria all the way.  Sounds like Pantera making shitty Death Metal with added try-hard.  That, or a bad version of some of the worst of post-Blessed Morbid Angel.

July 02, 2011, 01:31:33 PM
I enjoy them live, but I have to confess, it just doesn't come remotely close to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngoQ0bT4RSw&feature=related

July 03, 2011, 04:48:39 AM
It sounds like Cianide would be a good candidate to open for this band.

July 07, 2011, 08:24:00 AM
We really need to have an established and properly located list of qualities (or lack thereof) of D, C, B, and A grade material.  Does such a list exist?  If not, is anybody interested in working on one with me?
Anything that is not an A or a B is a C. I do not go any lower than a C, nor do I distinguish between different levels of C. C is for compost.

August 06, 2011, 06:45:15 PM
This just got released.

Cianide's best is probably A Descent Into Hell but none of the first four is bad.

Hell's Rebirth is their weakest.

This new one is somewhere in the middle, and is probably album of the year 2011 so far.

Go download and then see what you think. (I hate sales talk. The album speaks for itself, as does any album we praise on the DLA; it may however require multiple listens. If you're ADHD, we sedate you.)

If you then choose to buy it, buy from the label:

http://shop-hellsheadbangers.com/item.asp?PID=20734

August 08, 2011, 05:02:58 AM
this is an excellent album and a vastly more successful return to form than Autopsy's lackluster effort. 

definitely right near the top of my 2011 list

August 09, 2011, 04:13:04 AM
Anything that is not an A or a B is a C. I do not go any lower than a C, nor do I distinguish between different levels of C. C is for compost.

...and compost is extremely beneficial in bringing about new life. Your point?

August 09, 2011, 03:17:56 PM
this is an excellent album and a vastly more successful return to form than Autopsy's lackluster effort. 

definitely right near the top of my 2011 list

I disagree. I would say Autopsy did a better job, but that could be my personal bias.

August 11, 2011, 03:26:24 PM
can't stomach the vocals on the Autopsy record.  totally ruins any chance of success, imo.