Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Nietzsche explains black metal

Nietzsche explains black metal
September 02, 2006, 03:54:46 PM
The criminal and what is related to him.- The criminal type is the type of the strong human being under unfavorable circumstances: a strong human being made sick. He lacks the wilderness, a somehow freer and more dangerous environment [Natur] and form of existence, where everything that is weapons and armor in the instinct of the strong human being has its rightful place. His virtues are ostracized by society; the most vivi6d drives with which he is endowed soon grow together with the depressing affects-with suspicion, fear, and dishonor. Yet this is almost the recipe for physiological degeneration. Whoever must do secretly, with long suspense, caution, and cunning, what he can do best and would like most to do, becomes anemic; and because he always harvests only danger, persecution, and calamity from his instincts, his attitude to these instincts is reversed too, and he comes to experience them fatalistically. It is society, our tame, mediocre, emasculated [verschnittene] society, in which a natural human being, who comes from the mountains or from the adventures of the sea, necessarily degenerates into a criminal. Or almost necessarily; for there are cases in which such a man proves stronger than society: the Corsican, Napoleon, is the most famous case. The testimony of Dostoyevsky is relevant to this problem-Dostoyevsky, the only psychologist, incidentally, from whom I had something to learn; he ranks among the most beautiful strokes of fortune in my life, even more than my discovery of Stendhal. This profound human being, who was ten times right in his low estimate of the superficial Germans, lived for a long time among the convicts in Siberia-hardened criminals for whom there was no way back to society-and found them very different from what he himself had expected: they were carved out of just about the best, hardest, and most valuable wood that grows anywhere on Russian soil. Let us generalize the case of the criminal: let us think of men so constituted that for one reason or another, they lack public approval and know that they are not felt to be beneficent or useful-that chandala feeling that one is not considered equal, but an outcast, unworthy, contaminating. All men so constituted have a subterranean hue to their thoughts and actions; everything about them becomes paler than in those whose existence is touched by daylight. Yet almost all forms of existence which we consider distinguished today once lived in this half tomblike atmosphere: the scientific character, the artist, the genius, the free spirit, the actor, the merchant, the great discoverer ... As long as the priest was considered the supreme type, every valuable kind of human being was devaluated ... The time will come-I promise-when the priest will be considered the lowest type, as our chandala, as the most mendacious, the most indecent kind of human being ... I call attention to the fact that even now-under the mildest regimen of morals which has ever ruled on earth, or at least in Europe-every deviation [Abseitigkeit], every long, all-too-long sojourn below, every unusual or opaque form of existence, brings one closer to that type which is perfected in the criminal. All innovators of the spirit must for a time bear the pallid and fatal mark of the chandala on their foreheads-not because they are considered that way by others, but because they themselves feel the terrible chasm which separates them from everything that is customary or reputable. Almost every genius knows, as one stage of his development, the "Catilinarian existence"-a feeling of hatred, revenge, and rebellion against everything which already is, which no longer becomes ... Catiline-the form of pre-existence of every Caesar.

Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche, Twilight of the Idols, 45

I think in terms of things that have been written that are relevent to metal, this is probably the most profoundly insightful. Yes, the criminal is an outcast, alienated, outside of society. But what are the Kshatriyas/warrior/ruling castes in ancient times? What is their role? To do the same things that people aren't allowed to do! What happens when slave morality causes an inversion of all values, and a fear of those who understand nature, carry a sword, and lead by it? They are cast down, made evil, dehumanized. Abstract concepts like "Antisocial personality disorder" are invented for them, and they are labelled as such in a manner that suggests  that these traits are caused by a disease. They pick up musical instruments, don leather, paint their faces to show what they are not afraid to be, grab their kerosene, matches, and get moving.

I think Christians should be labelled as suffering from "Antireality personality disorder", and made to undergo group-therapy (the kind that happens with a broom-handle)

So why are so many black metallers self-destructive?

"Militant men in peaceful times attack themselves" is another profoundly relevent quote by the man that provides a lot of insight into the matter...

Sounds like we need a black metal Napoleon.

Re: Nietzsche explains black metal
September 02, 2006, 09:16:03 PM
But who can be this ? I mean... The heroic aspect of black metal would need such a damn leader, that I doubt he'd be listening to black metal, or even, that he'll be leading these people (musically or by activism).

September 02, 2006, 09:29:53 PM
But who can be this ? I mean... The heroic aspect of black metal would need such a damn leader, that I doubt he'd be listening to black metal, or even, that he'll be leading these people (musically or by activism).

Perhaps, but I think people tend to grow up, progress from one state of mind to the other. The person who would be the leader of whatever replaces black metal, who creates the next form of metal and elevates it beyond mere opposition, would have gone through the anti-social "black metal" state, and having passed it, would only then be able to create a new paradigm. Perhaps reality is a bit more complicated than this, not being quite so linear, but I think that whoever would create a new form of metal would probably have had to developed through and had the previous forms of metal resonate within him, and from this base of understanding, transcend the "Anti-social" aspect of having a warrior soul in our society. Then, he might create a genre which comes from an ideological base which interacts not in mere opposition to society, which is how one becomes crushed by it, destroyed, on the cover of Mayhem bootlegs, but detached from it, finding strength in warrior values, engaging society's opposition with tact, calm and resolve, without believing in the lie that the warrior is inferior. Thus, the self-destructive impulse in much black metal is transcended; the warrior is now a warrior, not a sociopath trying to destroy society and himself in a bitter rage of hatred. The sociopath transcends himself to become a warrior.

September 02, 2006, 09:33:07 PM
Varg almost got there. He chose to live as if he was in the world he desired, not caring about the consequences. Thus, the consequences occured, and  he want to prison. So close, though.

September 02, 2006, 09:50:11 PM
As art is not linear, it's more a kind of circle. And personnally, I think that beyond Black Metal, there's something else that would lead to something we all know : classical music.

We will start by putting all the emotions in instrument (no vocal), by constructing better structure, better harmonisation, etc. etc. and we finally will just have to change the instrument to have classical music...

September 02, 2006, 10:15:17 PM
Perhaps, but I think people tend to grow up, progress from one state of mind to the other. The person who would be the leader of whatever replaces black metal, who creates the next form of metal and elevates it
beyond mere opposition, would have gone through the anti-social "black metal" state, and having passed it, would only then be able to create a
new paradigm.

Probably the closest to this today would be the 'Odalism' that Varg Vikernes has written of recently.  

There is most likely going to be something even newer coming down the road though, thats when things will start to get even more interesting!

September 07, 2006, 06:54:48 AM

Probably the closest to this today would be the 'Odalism' that Varg Vikernes has written of recently.  

There is most likely going to be something even newer coming down the road though, thats when things will start to get even more interesting!

Did a LOT of reading today and all last night...had a couple realizations.

Odalism is basically a religion which is based on the idea that one discovers their unique heritage which resonates with them by exploring the beliefs of their ancestors. One then detaches the view of reality from their "Self", and moves it to their current context within history; all that is flawed, and then refined through natural selection creates gods and archetypes. Religion could thus be seen as the history of the evolution of the human brain, as well as the way different parts of the brain interact. Jormugand is how to understand our reptilian brain; the brain-stem. He circles Yggdrasil, just above the primordial waters which created the beginnings of the mind in the first place. The serpent represents our brain stem...Myths which speak of giants being destroyed, they simply represent a phase in human evolution that's pretty universal, and close to the past. What slave morality is, is that which springs from a more primitive religion, which contains only that which the slaves who created (or degraded a previous faith as it may be) it all have in common. It's an attempt to turn humans into one inferior mind, to through a religion based on fear, "chill" the aspects of the brain which define genius, confidence, courage, etc through symbols in order to weed out the unique, higher evolutions of those who are not slaves, and create a world safe for ignorant, harmless, homogenous slaves, united under one brain, who no longer have anything stronger than themselves to be afraid of, and can finally find peace. It is an idea virus which changes human brains over a period of centuries...

The symbols of the religions of one's ancestors is how one understands one's own brain. One could probably place symbols to specific brain evolutions, all the way down to Jormugand and into the primordial waters...

You could go the politically correct route, and say that "all religions are the same", but its not true, all religions are very similar up to a point, and then they diverge into variations based on the divergent evolutions of different races and ethnic groups...

Man, I really hope there isn't much "pro-christian unnatural selection" in my genetic past...

September 07, 2006, 07:10:36 AM
Maybe black metal is a mind at war with itself, an extreme way of resisting the encroaching slave brain as it works its way from idea to genetics?

September 07, 2006, 07:44:51 AM
Note that specifically defining hell as the stereotypical "place of eternal torture" was invented for Europeans. In fact, it wasn't called hell in the Gospels by Jesus, it was called gehenna, a pit where corpses are burned after they die...It is possible that Jesus meant that one just plain dies if you don't believe in him. I guess Europeans were a little hard to convert with the "fear of death" card, so the church had to go balls out, take the pagan Hel, make it full of eternal torture and agony instead of just unpleasant and boring, and add another "l" to show how much more scary it is..,Maybe that's how they consolidated their grip, although that could explain why Europeans still went on to create their great art, music, and literature after being Christianized; brains that resistent to the virus would be difficult to introduce natural selection against. You'd probably need something like liberal democracy and capitalism to do that.

September 23, 2006, 01:51:12 AM
What is their role? To do the same things that people aren't allowed to do!

I always thought this was the message of black metal. It is here to remind us that death is necessary and gives meaning to life. Most people categorically reject all death because they're afraid of their own death. That's immature and unrealistic.

As far as Christians being addicted to fantasy... aren't most people? The scientists who see a tiny bit of the working of the universe through some idiot theory, and pretend it's fact. The liberal Muslims. Most Jews. Evangelical Christians. Ba'haists are total nutcases. Scientologists, New Agers, modern Buddhists. They're all the same. People looking for meaning outside of life.

Metal/Romanticist is transcendentalist. It seems meaning within life. That's a mature and intelligent response in a world of weaklings. Not all Christians, Muslims, Jews, etc. are this weak. I think it's more a function of how intelligent a person is, and let me tell you, intelligence is a rarer commodity than oil, water, gold, yellowcake uranium and honest politicians these days.

October 02, 2006, 01:11:54 PM
This does make a lot of sense in the modern timeframe however; CCM tends to really suck ass.

Amy Grant was the best it got, and they've excommunicated her for smoking a joint and having an extramarital love (not as the same time although that's a good idea).

October 02, 2006, 01:27:38 PM

I think in terms of things that have been written that are relevent to metal, this is probably the most profoundly insightful. Yes, the criminal is an outcast, alienated, outside of society. But what are the Kshatriyas/warrior/ruling castes in ancient times? What is their role? To do the same things that people aren't allowed to do! What happens when slave morality causes an inversion of all values, and a fear of those who understand nature, carry a sword, and lead by it? They are cast down, made evil, dehumanized. Abstract concepts like "Antisocial personality disorder" are invented for them, and they are labelled as such in a manner that suggests  that these traits are caused by a disease. They pick up musical instruments, don leather, paint their faces to show what they are not afraid to be, grab their kerosene, matches, and get moving.

I think Christians should be labelled as suffering from "Antireality personality disorder", and made to undergo group-therapy (the kind that happens with a broom-handle)

So why are so many black metallers self-destructive?

"Militant men in peaceful times attack themselves" is another profoundly relevent quote by the man that provides a lot of insight into the matter...

Sounds like we need a black metal Napoleon.

this reminded me of the chinese philosopher lao tzu (2500 bc?), who wrote that the more "civilized" people become, the more the naturally strong and virtuous will "become" criminals.