Metal > Metal

Why not create your own metal music?

<< < (5/10) > >>

Cargést:
"I'm going to build a house.  Now, I have no knowledge whatsoever of architecture, brickmaking, bricklaying, geology, geography, or any of the fields/skills necessary for house-building, but I guess I'll just feel it out along the way."

Learning music theory is basically taking the shortcut to anything you might work out on your own.  The wonderful thing about music is that someone's already thought of it all before, at least in terms of basic principles - learn those, and use them as building blocks to create something truly, consciously, worthwhile.

MilitantIdiotCrusher:
But my house has a definate shape in my mind ):. Maybe the way i described what im building was too pretentious sounding, like Bondage got hung up on. Here's a graph to outline what I'm trying to say(keep in mind there can be any number of "phrases" and chords/notes per riff, and I usually try to incorperate some of my limited knowledge of melody.)

RIFF 1:

"phrase" 1:
chord/note 1
chord/note 2
chord/note 3

"phrase" 2:
chord/note 4
chord/note 5
chord/note 6

RIFF 2:

"phrase" 2:
chord/note 5
chord/note 6
chord/note 4

"phrase" 1:
chord/note 2
chord/note 3
chord/note 1

RIFF 3:

"phrase" 1:
chord/note 3
chord/note 1
chord/note 2

"phrase" 2:
chord/note 6
chord/note 5
chord/note 4

the chords/notes cycle within the "phrases", and the "phrases" cycle within the riff. the riffs might cycle within the song, but i havent taken the time to work that out. If this isn't conscious, I give up and will definately study some theory.

Eleison:
People who say you need to know theory are full of crap, this is coming from someone who majors in music theory.  If you are composing classical music then yes, you need to know theory, but metal is much closer to a folk tradition, like any folk tradition, the transmission is aural.  Abstract theory in the classical sense is not useful in metal.

Bondage:

--- Quote from: Eleison on July 07, 2011, 07:56:21 PM ---People who say you need to know theory are full of crap, this is coming from someone who majors in music theory.  If you are composing classical music then yes, you need to know theory, but metal is much closer to a folk tradition, like any folk tradition, the transmission is aural.  Abstract theory in the classical sense is not useful in metal.

--- End quote ---

Not knowing music theory is a hindrance to your growth as an artist. You can only go so far. Sure, you can point out examples of musicians who have created beautiful and competent music without knowing any music theory. But really as an artist are you willing to voluntarily restrict yourself? I mean, you want to create music, do you not? When you sit down with your guitar, ask yourself "am I am metal guitarist, or am I an artist?" If you just want to be a metal guitarist, then hey by all means allow your inherent anti-intellectualism to come forth and say fuck music theory, who needs it right?

But fuck almighty, this anti-music-theory anti-intellectualism is so fucking pedestrian, so pathetic. Do you spend every day in the pursuit of excellence in what you've chosen? As a struggling artist myself, I try to learn as much as I can; to explore every expanse, every nook and cranny; every piece of knowledge -- for it will lead to my improvement as an artist. Improvement and perfection should be your goal as an artist - if you aren't struggling to become better at what you do, then what is the point of doing it?

Veritas:

--- Quote from: Bondage on July 07, 2011, 09:29:08 PM ---
--- Quote from: Eleison on July 07, 2011, 07:56:21 PM ---People who say you need to know theory are full of crap, this is coming from someone who majors in music theory.  If you are composing classical music then yes, you need to know theory, but metal is much closer to a folk tradition, like any folk tradition, the transmission is aural.  Abstract theory in the classical sense is not useful in metal.

--- End quote ---

Not knowing music theory is a hindrance to your growth as an artist. You can only go so far. Sure, you can point out examples of musicians who have created beautiful and competent music without knowing any music theory. But really as an artist are you willing to voluntarily restrict yourself? I mean, you want to create music, do you not? When you sit down with your guitar, ask yourself "am I am metal guitarist, or am I an artist?" If you just want to be a metal guitarist, then hey by all means allow your inherent anti-intellectualism to come forth and say fuck music theory, who needs it right?

But fuck almighty, this anti-music-theory anti-intellectualism is so fucking pedestrian, so pathetic. Do you spend every day in the pursuit of excellence in what you've chosen? As a struggling artist myself, I try to learn as much as I can; to explore every expanse, every nook and cranny; every piece of knowledge -- for it will lead to my improvement as an artist. Improvement and perfection should be your goal as an artist - if you aren't struggling to become better at what you do, then what is the point of doing it?

--- End quote ---

There doesn't seem to be any "anti-music theory" sentiment. They are just saying that metal, as being akin to folk music, simply does not require it. When you feel that your natural ideas need expansion through already established theory, then you can learn the theory to prevent stagnation (the example of Luc Lemay was mentioned). Until you hit a dead-end, you are free to create however you wish. There's no reason why you need learn theory first, and then add your ideas into it, rather than putting your ideas down first, and adding theory later.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version