Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Why not create your own metal music?

Why not create your own metal music?
June 28, 2011, 06:43:51 PM
Question: Since metal music has been pretty fucked up for many years now, then why not create a rejuvenated style yourselves? I'm directing this question to the Anus staff.

Re: Why not create your own metal music?
June 28, 2011, 06:45:05 PM
Does Prozak know how to play an instrument? Or any of you staffers here?

June 28, 2011, 08:19:20 PM
Does Prozak know how to play an instrument? Or any of you staffers here?

Prozak is highly proficient with the skin flute.

(I suffer from blog post reflex)

June 28, 2011, 11:40:16 PM
i always think about buying a drum set and learning to play.  Everytime i listen to Havohej/Profanatica demos i want to pick up drumming so bad.  Something just keeps me from going out an buying a set though..

June 29, 2011, 01:55:34 AM
i always think about buying a drum set and learning to play.  Everytime i listen to Havohej/Profanatica demos i want to pick up drumming so bad.  Something just keeps me from going out an buying a set though..

There's so much more to percussion than just metal. Like this.

June 29, 2011, 02:04:57 AM
Prozak is highly proficient with the skin flute.

No that was a vuvuzela for upcoming Belus tribute covers. Stay tuned.

June 29, 2011, 04:56:18 AM
I suspect there are numerous longtime posters/lurkers of this forum who have begun creating their own metal music but are not yet ready to put it out there.

June 29, 2011, 12:23:30 PM

There's so much more to percussion than just metal. Like this.

Whoa, really enjoyed this. Thanks for the impromptu recommendation.

June 29, 2011, 03:23:08 PM
There are plenty of intelligent people who understand music very well who are still mediocre composers regardless.

June 29, 2011, 08:01:18 PM
i would really like to, but i can only do vocals and write lyrics. it's hard for me to find people with similiar interests in order to start a band, and i can't afford instruments to start a solo project. i simply cannot find any hessians in my area. bleh.

June 30, 2011, 04:26:40 AM
I can't play anything too well - enough to fool around on though.

I haven't started writing music, but I do "imagine" new music while and after listening to a song.

When I do write music, I will probably just compose, and find someone else to play it.

June 30, 2011, 12:21:17 PM
How many good art critics or theorists are great, or even good artists themselves?I have a pretty good hunch that many who have come through the ANUS or this forum at a formative age have later had real difficulty following through learning composition. Unless you have a lot of experience writing or playing (it's been said 10,000 hours of practice is the minimum for mastery), it's hard to get past all the practically useless hangups associated with having the short-term goal of writing great / transcendent music*.

*(note: this is something even Beethoven struggled with, despite having solid training and coming from a musical family - not to mention he didn't feel as artistically obliged to "answer" music of the preceding generation, as Brahms, Schumann, and Wagner would later with his music)

July 04, 2011, 07:05:33 PM

How many good art critics or theorists are great, or even good artists themselves?I have a pretty good hunch that many who have come through the ANUS or this forum at a formative age have later had real difficulty following through learning composition. Unless you have a lot of experience writing or playing (it's been said 10,000 hours of practice is the minimum for mastery), it's hard to get past all the practically useless hangups associated with having the short-term goal of writing great / transcendent music*.

*(note: this is something even Beethoven struggled with, despite having solid training and coming from a musical family - not to mention he didn't feel as artistically obliged to "answer" music of the preceding generation, as Brahms, Schumann, and Wagner would later with his music)

Agreed.

It seems to me that very few people here have musical minds, that is, the predisposition to think primarily in sounds. Rather, many here are literary thinkers. This is why attempts to describe a style of music extensively in words, with the intent of later executing this style in a band, occasionally crop up here, with predictably mediocre results, or very often no results at all. See "solar metal", programmed cell death, etc.

The reason for this, I beg to propose, is that the nitty gritty of musical composition has very little to do with ideology, and "real" composers are often hilariously ignorant in areas other than musical poetics. Composition, in other words, is not something you "choose" to do. It's not an activity, it's a condition. "Music" is the byproduct of minds that think in sounds; composition almost always contains a component of manic addiction. If your question is why aren't more people here composing music, it's because they are not composers. If they aren't composers, they aren't thinking in sound, in which case it would be essentially fruitless for them to create sounds.

To say it yet one more way, any anus member who composes regularly probably is spending more time composing than reading these boards, in which case it's logical that their efforts would not be visible, and also logical when you are wondering why on such a music-obsessed message board are there very few who seem to write their own material.

In addition, speaking well and composing well are often not linked, and so I predict many potentially talented musicians are often laughed off from these boards for being "hipsters" because they are poor writers.

O yeah, and that Steve Schick/Xenakis video is sick. Met Schick once; amazing performer, great guy, very intelligent.

July 05, 2011, 01:05:25 AM
To say it yet one more way, any anus member who composes regularly probably is spending more time composing than reading these boards, in which case it's logical that their efforts would not be visible, and also logical when you are wondering why on such a music-obsessed message board are there very few who seem to write their own material.

I don't follow this at all.  How is any of this logical conclusion from the suggestion that the composers amongst us spend more time composing than they do actively looking at the forums?  The former takes a relatively greater amount of time, anyway.

In addition, speaking well and composing well are often not linked

What an absolute pile of rubbish.  Consider, if you will, the fact that many of the greater composers from between the 17th and 19th centuries were court-musicians, who were retained in the company of well-educated nobles and, occasionally, royalty.  These people would have been very "well-spoken", if that's what you mean.  They would have been more than literate.  In these instances, speaking well and composing well are emphatically linked.  Perhaps you're referring to more modern composers?  At this point, I can't think of many modern composers who I do not consider to be "well-spoken", at least to the standards of this board (given a few of the members here who are less than perfect in their English, for understandable and acceptable reasons).

The reason for this, I beg to propose, is that the nitty gritty of musical composition has very little to do with ideology, and "real" composers are often hilariously ignorant in areas other than musical poetics

Is a poet, then, primarily a shaper of words, and not a former of ideas?  It would make a pretty shocking poet, a man who could merely describe his surroundings in flowery language (though most people would probably love it, being similarly vapid).  The same is true of music.  A great deal of composition has to do with ideology, principally the initial stages - what are you writing about?  Why are you writing?  What is it that is causing you to compose music?  These are the questions which must be answered before one can understand one's own processes of composition, one's own aim in composition.  When this is not understood, it is possible to stumble upon greatness - Morbid Angel - and then lose it - Morbid Angel - but, understood, it is possible to focus on the goal and deliberately create works of genius - Burzum - even if it is possible to then lose the initial understanding under a wave of unnecessary complications - Burzum.

As far as compositional ability goes, this is often something that is developed with time, and rarely something that is innate to an individual (such as is called "genius").  Most great artists in European history created their most glorious triumphs in the latter years of their life, after having explored and experienced a vast portion of the field opened to them by the training gained in their youth, through whatever means.  As ever, it is possible to stumble upon something great, as any man can crest a hill and happen to look down upon a mythical valley, yet unexplored by men, but it takes time, practice, and diligence to develop the skills and understanding necessary to be able to consciously mould one's goal into a musical form.

July 05, 2011, 02:41:49 AM
I've actually been obsessing pretty hard over the concept of what I want to create lately. I've pretty much got the basic structural base downpat, but the technique is pretty hard to capture because of how abstract the whole idea is.

I'm basically creating logical "cycles" of chords within "cycles" of "phrases" to make riffs, then using variations in the "phrases" to make forward-moving narrative to match some fucked up poetry I've been writing. Pretty abstract, and I'm not really familiar with how to describe what I'm doing("phrases" and "cycles" probably don't match the actual definitions, im not classically trained), but this is a serious undertaking.

>mfw nobody knows what I'm talking about