Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Practical skills for Hessians

Practical skills for Hessians
July 11, 2011, 05:58:20 AM
I sit down, I reflect, and I find that...

... while I have an above-average understanding of many things...

... my practical skills are lacking, and my attitude is at times wanting.

I really want to improve myself in those areas.

The latter is just up to me, of course, but as for the former:

Any of you experienced and older (lolbaldinglol) Hessians recommend any "need-to-have" practical skills?

Thank you.
"It is not the language of painters but the language of nature which one should listen to, the feeling for the things themselves, for reality, is more important than the feeling for pictures." - Van Gogh

Re: Practical skills for Hessians
July 11, 2011, 08:48:32 AM
Guns, gardening, physical fitness... how to find a woman and raise children.

July 11, 2011, 02:02:18 PM
Troll/Hacker Weeve stated it very well. Weapons, food, and pussy. Master having this foundational stuff and the other abilities are icing on the cake.

July 11, 2011, 02:11:38 PM
I'll keep that in mind.
You're quite hostile.

I got a right to be hostile, man, my people been persecuted!

July 12, 2011, 04:15:00 AM
Learn how to cook.

Join a training gym, learn how to defend yourself (better).

July 12, 2011, 04:20:12 AM
Learn how to perform basic repairs around the home if you have not already.  Learn how to service your vehicle.

July 12, 2011, 11:38:51 AM
Learn how to perform basic repairs around the home if you have not already.

How did you learn to do that?
You're quite hostile.

I got a right to be hostile, man, my people been persecuted!

July 12, 2011, 01:28:20 PM
There are books and inexpensive classes on such topics.

July 12, 2011, 02:37:04 PM
Learn how to perform basic repairs around the home if you have not already.

How did you learn to do that?

If you're lucky you have a dad or uncle who can teach you some of these things. If not then for most simple and advanced repairs you can find websites and instructional videos. Home repair is a big industry so it's easy to find information about it.

July 12, 2011, 03:29:48 PM
Weapons, food, and pussy. Master having this foundational stuff and the other abilities are icing on the cake.

You need far more than mastery of weapons and food in order to attract an ideal mate. But maybe that's not what you mean by "pussy".

In any case, something really rubs me the wrong way in correlating hessiandom with being good with women. I don't see why it's so important to survive as a community with offspring to work for you when you're older, but then again I'm no expert on hessiandom philosophy. It seems to me all you really need are some unique skills to make you invaluable to whatever community you're part of, and the ability provided by a good diet and physical conditioning to use those skills and be effective even in old age.
www.TheMetalDiscourser.com
The universe is naked, attack its corpus, take a real stab at your life and let the blood flow RIP the sound of the very fabric tearing.

July 12, 2011, 05:55:37 PM
skillz 4 nerdZ lol!

how about: social skills!

nerds suck at life in general for this reason. 99% of the time you see a nerd failing it's because of underdeveloped and/or atrophying social skills.
nerds (I mean hessians, lol) fail at leadership, with women, at networking, at advancing their careers, at making friends, etc; the list goes on. which is why they're butthurt by the world.

practical skills like cooking, home repairs, and car maintenance are nice to have but not really essential to getting around in postindustrial society. learning how to grow your own food or how to use/maintain small arms are even less useful. you can insert martial arts, sailing, rock climbing, or whichever macho pastime you prefer here.
it's good to challenge yourself and try to learn something you suck at or never thought you'd do well, I guess, as long as it doesn't take away too much time/energy from getting better at what you're actually good at.

July 12, 2011, 10:13:16 PM
Get some training in basic first AID(s)

July 13, 2011, 12:47:40 AM
 Ive always found these to be essential skills:

Shelter building
Knowing edible herbs,plant,flowers etc( depending on region)
Trap and Snare building
Making a fire
Making weapons
Treating broken limbs etc(first aid)
Navigation
Understanding  predator behaviors( how to ward off a bear)

He who fears the dark, shall never see the light
http://www.last.fm/user/Beastofsodom

July 13, 2011, 03:27:38 AM

That's only important depending upon your socio-economic peer group. For working class people, socializing is usually a complete waste, even a liability unless it is targeted at advancing into middle class as perhaps an owner, partner, or manager. Otherwise, with this group in particular, it is going to be what one is useful for and not for social skills that carries weight.

For the lumpenprole, social skills informed and encapsulated by street smarts are constantly going to be vital for immediate survival. For upper middle class, networking usually only serves as an economic safety net (e.g. the Good Old Boy Network), otherwise it'll be a disappointment.

For the upper class, singularly more secured in their strata than the rest (even the lumpens will face an untimely demise more readily than the wealthy would even drop to middle class), socializing will be more a necessary means of advancement, else stagnate in isolation.

July 13, 2011, 09:34:25 PM

That's only important depending upon your socio-economic peer group. For working class people, socializing is usually a complete waste, even a liability unless it is targeted at advancing into middle class as perhaps an owner, partner, or manager. Otherwise, with this group in particular, it is going to be what one is useful for and not for social skills that carries weight.

For the lumpenprole, social skills informed and encapsulated by street smarts are constantly going to be vital for immediate survival. For upper middle class, networking usually only serves as an economic safety net (e.g. the Good Old Boy Network), otherwise it'll be a disappointment.

For the upper class, singularly more secured in their strata than the rest (even the lumpens will face an untimely demise more readily than the wealthy would even drop to middle class), socializing will be more a necessary means of advancement, else stagnate in isolation.

You can always use aggression and force in all of those cases, whether it backfires has to do with intelligence.