Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Black/Folk Metal

Black/Folk Metal
September 03, 2006, 12:27:28 PM
I was wondering what you think about this genre (Black/Folk) and what bands you like ^^

Re: Black/Folk Metal
September 03, 2006, 12:42:27 PM
Windir are great because of the harmony they use, I love the guitar work of Valfar.

Other band are cool, but most of them are all the same, using pseudo-heavy/thrash riff with harsh vocal and some gay keyboard behind.

I like the genre, anyway.

September 03, 2006, 03:03:17 PM
Lord Wind and Russia's Pagan Reign are great pagan/folk bands

September 03, 2006, 07:40:20 PM
I like Temnozor.

September 03, 2006, 09:20:20 PM
I was wondering what you think about this genre (Black/Folk) and what bands you like ^^

I've found myself in a similar position recently, looking to explore pagan and folk-influenced metal.  Hopefully these suggestions will provide a starting point from one who has tried many new albums lately:

* Isengard is not to be missed, coming from Fenriz of Darkthrone you might expect that it is based on black metal and Norwegian folk, that is certainly true.  I'd recommend Hostmorke first although the demos are closer to raw black metal if that's your fancy.

* Right alongside Isengard would have to be Storm, which Fenriz was also part of.  I think his vocals are better on Nordavind than Isengard.  The female vocals are a nice touch missing from Isengard, I almost like this project more but not quite.

* Finntroll is interesting, definitely have their own style which is heavy on Finnish polka.  Some may find them a bit comical at times, but I like them.

* Otyg is not blackened in the least, but solid folk metal nonetheless and a worthy addition to your collection.  They play more traditional folk, slower, with traditional instruments and clean singing.

* Primordial is a recent find.  Since I'm of mostly Irish ancestry I think Celtic influenced folk metal is cool even if it sucked.  But these guys do well.  My attention did not falter which is a common problem with folk and viking metal (because as has already been stated it tends to be repetitive and unoriginal).

* Others I like: Trollech, Dark Reality, Fejd, and Ulver - fuck what admin says about them :P

I was not particularly impressed with Alkonost, Agalloch, or Subway to Sally - they may be HIV+ for all I know.

September 04, 2006, 06:14:16 AM
Finntroll are cool on the first album, for their ''comic'' or even ''theatrical'' trollish polka. But 4 album, without real musical evolution or musical achievement, I don't think it's a must.

September 04, 2006, 11:09:49 AM
Im really enjoying enslaved right now.

Even so some tracks sound very folk inspired (Yggdrasil) the entire album has some folk underpinnings which sets it apart from most other black metal bands.  

September 04, 2006, 03:40:25 PM
I like finntroll a lot too ^^

I recomend Ensiferum, very nice viking metal band ^^, also asmegin is excellent, starts of rather black and then has sudden violin outbursts it's excellent jajaj  :D

September 04, 2006, 04:24:14 PM

If you want some bands that are good and not a joke, go with Primordial, Windir and Empyrium. All are very honest musicians who affirm a strong connection with their homeland, people and nature. To me these are qualities endemic to both Black Metal and Folk music.

September 04, 2006, 05:39:00 PM
Bereft said it all, with good words.

These guys know what music(black metal here) is, and know what tradition really is.

The mixt of the two they make is magnificient !

Vajra

September 05, 2006, 02:56:04 AM
I remember listening to what I think was Windir's Arntor a number of times, and it never managed to move me.

I mean, the riffs of Windir sound quite pleasing at first in their BM-formatted folkish melodicness, but their arrangement in a song made me feel as though these guys are just coming up with riffs. After listening to the album for a few times, that lack of substance became more obvious.

For some reason, albums that spring to mind as worthier but vaguely similar are Gontyna Kry's 'Welowie' and Gorgoroth's 'Antichrist'.

I second the above recommendation for Lord Wind, although what I remember of 'Forgotten Songs' (haven't heard 'Heralds...') was just Graveland with different instrumentation. Right?

September 05, 2006, 08:20:55 PM
If you want some bands that are good and not a joke, go with Primordial, Windir and Empyrium. All are very honest musicians who affirm a strong connection with their homeland, people and nature. To me these are qualities endemic to both Black Metal and Folk music.

What albums do you recommend by those three bands? Just to start me off.

September 05, 2006, 08:51:48 PM
Well, lucky for you there's some Windir already uploaded.

Windir thread

Everything I've heard from Primordial has been excellent, but their latest album(although great) doesn't really have much of a Black Metal element left, so get one of their first four releases.

I've only got the first two Empyrium albums, A Wintersunset and Songs of Moors and Misty Fields, and I recommend both. Actually, I might upload one of them when I've got a minute.

October 10, 2006, 05:21:43 PM
Windir is awful. The only bands that aren't a joke in this genre are Enslaved, Summoning and Graveland. Isengard is OK, Storm is ludicrous.

October 10, 2006, 06:43:04 PM
Skyforger - Semigalls' Warchant
Infernum - Taur-Na-Fuin
Behemoth - Sventevith

As a Romanticist genre black metal will always draw comparisons to folk music even if it doesn't necessarily attempt to (poorly) make metal compositions using folk melodies, though as art it will not measure up to the former, insofar as it, like most all of metal, functions by createing retrospective commentary rather than acting as a mode of transmission for a living history.