Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Black/Folk Metal

Viriatus

Re: Black/Folk Metal
October 11, 2006, 05:57:23 AM
I recommend Bathory's Hammerheart, Blood On Ice and Blood Fire Death. Vikingligr Veldi and Hordanes Land by Enslaved. And Thousand Swords by Graveland.

October 11, 2006, 10:39:04 AM
Månegarm from Sweden fits the bill, I guess. Not really my thing. And I think Ancient Rites' more recent material fits in there somewhere.

Before God, a little known band from Minnesota is worth mention. While their first album is more Death/Thrash oriented, with Pagan themes/lyrics... their second release 'Under The Blood Banner' is more in the black/death style, incorporating a fair amount of folk elements. A well done piece of music, full of pride... worth hunting down.

October 11, 2006, 11:55:34 AM
Windir is awful...

Really ...

Vajra

October 11, 2006, 12:04:37 PM
Bullshit music

This is just ridiculous: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPzm23eDx5U

October 11, 2006, 12:45:39 PM
It is indeed. ;D
/
And Valfar is dead ...
Well, sometimes he comes back to visit this "place";
grr  ;)

October 11, 2006, 03:40:41 PM
At the end of this Arntor video there is "Valfar 1970-2004"...

He was born in 1978 ...

October 12, 2006, 08:51:57 AM
Bathory, Falkenbach.Nokturnal Mortum.Negura Bunget.Drudkh.Hate Forest.Astrofaes.

October 14, 2006, 10:38:32 AM
I think it's okay but somehow I like the genre-names pagan bm and folk metal better, but the music itself is basically the same. And then there is Viking metal which is also similar but include a few non-folky bands like Bathory and Morrigan etc.

Here are some of my favourites in pagan bm:

[fr] Aes Dana - Formors (some like their first better)
[fr] Belenos - Spicilége (One of the best pagan bm albums ever)
[ukr] Drudkh - Blood In Our Wells (becoming more and more pagan bm with every new release)
[no] Kampfar - Mellom Skogkledde Aaser (this is actually folk/black not pagan black)
[ire] Primordial - Spirit The Earth Aflame (misantropic doomish pagan bm)
[pol] Slavland - Szepty Starych Debow (Poland finest pagan bm one-man band. Even earlier material is high grade stuff.)

Folk metal:

[usa] Agalloch - Ashes Against The Grain (ok, i happen to like this also  :P. They´re actually a folk/black band who also have neofolk as a strong musical influence. Pale Folklore & The Mantle is also worth checking up.)
[ru] Arkona - Vo Slavu Velikim! (Best folk metal band in Russia, female vocalist, cool music.)
[ch] Eluveite - Spirit (folk metal from Confederate Helvetica who combines folk, black & death metal - really, really good.)
[uk] Forefather - The Fighting Man (actually more like folk/black muscially but some songs are heavy some are more black - good cd though).
[ru] Pagan Reign - Tverd (mentioned before so...)

Viking Metal:
[no] Asmegin - Hin Vordende Sod & Sø
[no] Lumsk - Åsmund Frægdegjevar
[fin] Moonsorrow - (hard to name a special album)
[swe] Thyrfing - Farsotstider (this is also an album I would say is folk/black musically.)

Also there is a few nsbm bands I´d like to recommend (both are musically very close to pagan bm):
[ru] Apraxia - Hymns of Dark Forest
[pol] Graveland - Dawn Of Iron Blades
[ru] Velimor - Ancestry

So, finally i am done with this little list of mine  ;D

October 14, 2006, 11:39:03 AM
Holy wolf, I found a link with some Arkona videoclips, enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AIXh8I7K94

euronymous

October 15, 2006, 03:54:44 AM
If you want some bands that are good and not a joke, go with Primordial, Windir and Empyrium. All are very honest musicians who affirm a strong connection with their homeland, people and nature. To me these are qualities endemic to both Black Metal and Folk music.

From "A Wintersunset..." booklet:

''We, the members of Empyrium, would like you to look upon this work as an expression of the overwelming beauty of nature...that so strongly inspired our art. Thus, we decide to fully dedicate our work to our mighty mother earth.
Only those who cultivate the fruits can harvest them.
SAVE THE PLANET."

They are ejoyable, but nothing of the heigth og Summoning or Graveland. Beautiful music with lots of keyboard and a bit boring too. Few BM here.

note: Empyrium and Emperor logos both made by the same guy, Christophe Szpajdel. The music is NOT similar though.

October 15, 2006, 04:18:01 AM

note: Empyrium and Emperor logos both made by the same guy, Christophe Szpajdel.

For Azamoth as well. So what ?

euronymous

October 15, 2006, 04:40:42 AM

For Azamoth as well. So what ?

Emperor...Empyrium

The music is NOT similar though.

October 18, 2006, 03:12:39 AM

ozz

October 22, 2006, 08:56:41 PM
Windir "1184" is awesome.

ozz

April 11, 2007, 12:34:17 PM
Honestly, my favorite black metal band is also my favorite band at this moment and it is none other than Drudkh.  I have all of their black metal albums (they have a folk/acoustic album which I don't care for), and I enjoy them all thoroughly.  I have only heard limited amounts of Hate Forest, but they're quite dissimilar from Drudkh.  I'm looking forward to Drudkh's 'Estrangement' more than any other album I can remember... that and Akercocke's "Anti-christ" looks extremely promising as well.