Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Is BURZUM Patterned off of Anything?

Is BURZUM Patterned off of Anything?
July 15, 2011, 03:05:31 PM
I don't mean in spirit.  Did Varg get his sound from any documented source that you guys know of?

Re: Is BURZUM Patterned off of Anything?
July 15, 2011, 03:06:56 PM
*Move to METAL

July 15, 2011, 03:31:17 PM
Documented, no.  It's pretty clear by the time of Det Som Engang Var, however, that he was a massive Bathory and Celtic Frost fan (he rips a load of riffs from both of those bands [almost verbatim, at times], reinterpreting them in the context of his own music).

July 15, 2011, 03:39:33 PM
Examples?

E

July 15, 2011, 04:22:31 PM
Some of the 'prison Burzum' pieces seem to resemble this:
The Cure -  Secrets

July 15, 2011, 04:35:54 PM
Fuck, this computer has no Celtic Frost.  I can't remember song names, but parts of Snu Mikrokosmos Tegn are almost completely taken from parts of To Mega Therion (if I remember correctly).

July 15, 2011, 10:48:04 PM
he rips a riff from Bathory - BLOOD FIRE DEATH on cant remember which track off of Det Som Engang Var

July 16, 2011, 03:01:51 AM
The thread seems fine in chasm. They say Belus and Fallen were patterned from granny's crochet mittens however.

July 16, 2011, 09:48:03 AM
Burzum - War, 1984 version

July 16, 2011, 10:17:18 AM
he rips a riff from Bathory - BLOOD FIRE DEATH on cant remember which track off of Det Som Engang Var

Snu mikrokosmos tegn definately resembles one of the later tracks from BLOOD FIRE DEATH, but it's probably better accomplished. Most of his material is basically Bathory riffing with an advanced sense of ambient tension applied to the album composition.

July 16, 2011, 11:39:50 AM
Some of the 'prison Burzum' pieces seem to resemble this:
The Cure -  Secrets

And Dead Can Dance "The Serpent's Egg", and Danzig "Black Aria," etc.

July 16, 2011, 12:32:06 PM
The Bathory link was interesting.  I wonder why he didn't just cover the song, as it's doubtful he was unaware of its existence.  Then again, I do remember reading about how the inclusion of the solo in that track was simply a fun idea they had.  Maybe the whole track was made in jest.

I get the Bathory influence here and there, but tracks like "Key to the Gate" strike me as odd that no outfit I'm aware of sounds anything like it.

July 16, 2011, 01:18:02 PM
Key to the Gate always struck me as being "the Death Metal track", for some reason.

July 16, 2011, 01:20:34 PM
It seems to me that Thorns must have been an influence.

July 16, 2011, 01:22:02 PM
Key to the Gate always struck me as being "the Death Metal track", for some reason.

The beginning has kind of an Immolation feel, but I can't place any influence on the rest of it.