Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Disma - Towards the Megalith

Re: Disma - Towards the Megalith
April 05, 2012, 05:54:13 AM
I've listened to it two times tonight, and it is getting better each time. My biggest faulting was primarily in the production. I would listen to the demo, then this, and the muddy, mushy tone in this tended to obscure the nuances. Perhaps I was simply expecting it to sound like the demo, and when it did not, I shut down to it. I need to stay away from the demo for a while so I can become accustomed to the sonics of this release without constantly judging once against the other. The issue I had with Cruciamentum's new shit was similar in some ways.

This has added perspective on how brilliant releases in the glory days I was not apart of would be overlooked or misjudged. It is helping me grow as a listener.

EDIT: Master Satan will punish if I don't come clean on the fact I had a bunk rip which made the production bother me more than it otherwise should have. I just tried out a different rip and the muddiness isn't as present. This rules. It didn't make sense that a band of veteran with a lot of profile would let a doom buzz out of the need to be HEBBIE AS FUK ruin the subtly. I'm stoked because I was really disappointed before.

April 05, 2012, 06:39:02 AM
I've listened to it two times tonight, and it is getting better each time. My biggest faulting was primarily in the production. I would listen to the demo, then this, and the muddy, mushy tone in this tended to obscure the nuances. Perhaps I was simply expecting it to sound like the demo, and when it did not, I shut down to it. I need to stay away from the demo for a while so I can become accustomed to the sonics of this release without constantly judging once against the other. The issue I had with Cruciamentum's new shit was similar in some ways.

This has added perspective on how brilliant releases in the glory days I was not apart of would be overlooked or misjudged. It is helping me grow as a listener.

It will always amaze me how differently we "hear" music. I love the production on this album! It somehow fits the band's sound perfectly to me. I have to admit, I also liked the demo recording, so perhaps the material itself just resonates with me to a level beyond production values...I don't know.

April 05, 2012, 07:00:20 AM

It will always amaze me how differently we "hear" music. I love the production on this album! It somehow fits the band's sound perfectly to me. I have to admit, I also liked the demo recording, so perhaps the material itself just resonates with me to a level beyond production values...I don't know.

I just feel like the production mushes up some of the atmosphere present in the earlier recordings. But I also have to admit I did not purchase the album and my first listenings were based on some MP3s that perhaps didn't sound as good as the ones I am hearing now I think. I didn't think I was going to buy it at all, but I just might now.

April 08, 2012, 03:41:43 PM
I was unimpressed with this and it hasn't grown on me either. Something about it disagreed with me - I can't say what exactly. I'll give it some time, but the songs I found flat and uninspired and the entire aesthetic - name, album cover, etc to be not to my tastes. Never say never though....

An aside: I was on the tram with my non metal wife a while back, and some ultra metal dude got on wearing a giant Disma shirt, she says: "do you know that band? That shirt is so gay"

April 10, 2012, 01:46:07 AM
Months after purchase, I celebrate this CD from time to time. I'm unfamiliar with Demigod (lashings, please...), but I'm told it was a big influence. Great music with variety, inspired by doom and gloom.