Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Ego death

Ego death
July 19, 2011, 04:38:19 AM
i've been trying to accomplish a permanent state of this for a while, to get a better understanding of the cosmos/math and other things as well. taken to the extreme it could be bordering on suicide, since the ego is a central survival mechanism
couple of things that have been tried:

psychedelics
meditation
avoiding petty/selfish thought
silence

anyone know some books on this concept or have advice? there's marcus aurelius-meditations, but i find the phrases in it are really nice sounding in theory but hard to apply to life

Re: Ego death
July 19, 2011, 04:25:56 PM
-Avoid excessive orgasm
-Avoid excessive music
-Avoid internal dialogue
-Chew the food many many times before swalloing and eat slowly
-Slap yourself in the face everytime you fail to acomplish those things
-Try that exercise of eliminating the "I" off the sentences
-Delight yourself when defecating, thinking how awesome it is. Be the shit.
-Breath control and retention aka pranayamas
-Self influence with repeated sentences when lying down to sleep
-Practicing mental emptiness when lying down to sleep
-Write down your dreams first thing when you wake up everyday

Books: Undoing Yourself With Energized Meditation and Other Devices
Energized Hypnosis
The Great Rebellion - Samael Aun Weor
Revolutionary Psychology - Samael Aun Weor
You're quite hostile.

I got a right to be hostile, man, my people been persecuted!

July 20, 2011, 03:34:33 AM
If your search for ego death isn't unequivocally the most important priority in your life, then you will not achieve it. I'm sure you're still very tempted by many conventional indulgences, which pull away your desire and intention from other more important focuses. If you choose to walk the left-hand path do not be afraid to overindulge in an unhealthy convention, to exalt the ecstasy extravagantly, scrutinize the experience rigorously, and christen off in a beautiful sunset your last experience ever with that unhealthy convention, like a soldier coming back from war in victory, because you know you've experienced it to the brim and it has nothing left to offer, it's not really what you want. If you cannot realize it's not what you want, if you can't truly feel it's not what you want, then don't stop yourself from feeling the torment this causes as you struggle against the hardest thing in life, learning the grace of giving up short-term higher things for long-term better things, feel the conflict within yourself, and examine why the fuck you feel the conflict, why struggle at all, and make a choice to walk the path of enlightenment or not. Just be clear where you're walking, don't deceive yourself and try to have your cake and eat it too, and know that if you choose this left-handed approach then if you choose the wrong path you probably won't survive for very long (or to be more precise the point of no return is, realistically, somewhat nearer than you might think). Also in a broader sense be mindful not to become overly attached with the process of experimentation in overindulgence, it's the journey not the end.
www.TheMetalDiscourser.com
The universe is naked, attack its corpus, take a real stab at your life and let the blood flow — RIP the sound of the very fabric tearing.

July 20, 2011, 01:37:14 PM
Ego death is for faggots. Embrace vir instead.
HE WHO REAPS STORMS, SOWS WINDS. HE WHO SOWS WINDS, REAPS STORMS.

"It is better to go to a house of mourning than to go to a house of feasting, for death is the destiny of every man; the living should take this to heart."
-Ecclesiastes 7:2

July 20, 2011, 04:44:50 PM

Perhaps you should offer a description or a link to explain what exactly "vir" is, otherwise I doubt you will persuade anyone to look into it further.
www.TheMetalDiscourser.com
The universe is naked, attack its corpus, take a real stab at your life and let the blood flow — RIP the sound of the very fabric tearing.

July 20, 2011, 05:36:56 PM
If you want to get all Indo-European on it: embrace both.  That's what the Bhagavad Gita was all about, right? >>>
Krishna counseling Arjuna to do his (caste-based) duty and go into battle.

July 20, 2011, 06:50:14 PM
The self is unimportant compared to the whole, but the whole contains the self.  To destroy the self is to eliminate your "role" in the whole, though, of course, that role is purely an illusory one (as is the concept of individuality or separateness of any kind).  I don't think I could wish to destroy my ego, as I have too much fun enjoying the world and playing my part in the grand scheme of things, as horrendous as this existence is.

July 21, 2011, 01:11:59 AM
fasting and celibacy will be practiced too.
this whole deal will never be accomplished most likely but 50 percent of the way there is better than nothing. 
it's a mental war. there are forces of the ego that are pulling every thought and bodily motion towards furthering itself, and i can understand in terms of evolution why that would be. The big twist in this is that putting effort into ego death could just be another evolutionary survival thing, or self improvment. it's hard to silence thoughts. any thought can suddenly blink and glow brightly and suddenly seem "right", causing sway in a different direction. dodging the ego is like dodging land mines.

July 21, 2011, 03:23:09 AM
Set high goals. Alter your mind in whatever way necessary to achieve them.

July 21, 2011, 04:08:23 PM
Taking cold baths is good also.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zBNHGWMju0
You're quite hostile.

I got a right to be hostile, man, my people been persecuted!

July 21, 2011, 07:25:07 PM
The question "Who am I?":

The thought ‘Who am I?’
will destroy all other thoughts, and like the stick used for
stirring the burning pyre, it will itself in the end get destroyed.
Then, there will arise Self-realization.

Source: Collected Works of Bhagavan Sri Ramana Maharshi
Whatever you honor above all things, that which you so honor will have dominion over you.

July 21, 2011, 09:13:04 PM
i've been trying to accomplish a permanent state of this for a while, to get a better understanding of the cosmos/math and other things as well. taken to the extreme it could be bordering on suicide, since the ego is a central survival mechanism
couple of things that have been tried:

psychedelics
Yes, and the that's a pretty sure fire way to fuck yourself up.  Ego Death can induce a kind of psychological incapacitation that takes years to rebuild.  If you want to get a small glimpse of this through experimentation, that's obviously fine, but don't obsess over it.  It's all supposed to be a means to an end, anyway, right?  So, just focus on the end and make sure it's worthwhile.

July 21, 2011, 10:14:31 PM
»anyone know some books on this concept or have advice? «

Patanjalis Yoga Sutras is probably what you are looking for.

Though, your goal should be something different than anihilation of the ego. Only dying civilisations produced selfdenying ascets. The anchorage monks ideas spread with the christian plauge, and the asceticism of Vedic religion came with the downfall and perversity of later times.

Religious searching meditations changes the mind, and is difficult to practice in a stressed modern world. It would be saner to practice for an elderly man, who withdraws into the solitude of the mountains and forests.

Like in the vedic religions ideal four stages of life :

1 ) The young man goes trough religious education and practice

2 ) The adult man lives a vigourous life as a family father.

3 ) When his duty is done, he hands the responsibility to his eldest sons, and withdraws himself to the solitude of the hut in the forest.

4 ) As he grows old, he becomes a wandreing sanyasinn, who wanders the world as a homeless beggar and wise man, detached from earthly posessions.

And I agree, doing psychedelics will probably just make you a crazy faggot.

August 02, 2011, 01:53:38 PM
You cannot desire ego death. That is practically a logical contradiction and will see you chasing your tail until you realise, after your worn out and pissed off with the process, that this makes about as much sense as trying to see by closing your eyes ...Cold baths, fasting, etc! Haha! You *might* be cultivating discipline, but certainly not ego-death. Your ego will be pinging as you ease yourself into that freezing water: "look how good i am," you will be thinking, "at shrinking my testicles!"

'Ego death' is the realization that 'you' are not an independent entity but rather simply part of a greater whole. Try to sit down and silence your thoughts and in your futility you will see this.

"Huiko again and again asked Bodidharma for instruction, but was alwasy refused. Yet he continued to sit in mediation outside the cave, waiting patiently in the snow in the hope that Bodhidharma would at least relent. In desperation he finally cut off his left arm and presented it to Bodhidharma as a token of his agonized security. At this Bodhidharma at last asked Huiko what he wanted:

'I Have no peace of mind,' said Huiko. 'Please pacify my mind'.
'Bring out your mind here before me,' replied Bodhidharma, 'and I will pacify it!'
'But when I seek my own mind,' said Huiko, 'I cannot find it.'
'There!' snapped Bodhidharma, 'I have pacified your mind!'."

anyone know some books on this concept or have advice? there's marcus aurelius-meditations, but i find the phrases in it are really nice sounding in theory but hard to apply to life

Alan Watts