Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Spotify available in U.S. but metal presence needs work

I really know nothing about this other than to say that it's a pretty excellent concept and works very well.  For a great many metal bands, the offering is excellent.  If one enacts an exhaustive search, however, there is bit of a deficiency in the level of streamable metal albums.  For example, a search of "Burzum" yields Det Som Engag Var, Hildskjalf, the Draugen collection and Fallen.  Searching for Immolation yields only Majesty and Decay.  Autopsy, Massacra, Demilich, Graveland, Ildjarn have no releases at all.  Darkthrone has nothing earlier than Panzerfaust.  Averse Sefira is limited to two albums.  Profanatica/Havohej etc. are not represented.  And so on and so on. 

Does anyone here use the service and are there any plans for ANUS to develop a presence there?  I think it is easily the best means yet for introducing a much wider audience to our music.

Haha hey dude, I love myself some Havohej and I love myself some Graveland but they are way too brutal and hateful for the average ear, better goad people in with some Morbid Angels Blessed are The Sick, maybe some Necrophobic or Hypocrisy. I notice they tend to be more palatable towards people just barely getting into the truly heavy shit.

There are some bands that are just too intense for most people to handle, even the intelligent, these include Blasphemy, Profanatica/Havohej and Mütiilation. The vast majority of people have never ventured into the parts of their brain where Blasphemy, Absurd and Mütiilation maintain residence.

Haha hey dude, I love myself some Havohej and I love myself some Graveland but they are way too brutal and hateful for the average ear, better goad people in with some Morbid Angels Blessed are The Sick, maybe some Necrophobic or Hypocrisy. I notice they tend to be more palatable towards people just barely getting into the truly heavy shit.

There are some bands that are just too intense for most people to handle, even the intelligent, these include Blasphemy, Profanatica/Havohej and Mütiilation. The vast majority of people have never ventured into the parts of their brain where Blasphemy, Absurd and Mütiilation maintain residence.

These places are ventured into regularly by the devoted listener of Corelli, Locatelli, Buxtehude, and so on. Those bands all still have some degree of fun to them, and fun is not brutal. Turn back the clock a century or so and the concept of fun would be almost unheard of, at least in its current form.

These places are ventured into regularly by the devoted listener of Corelli, Locatelli, Buxtehude, and so on. Those bands all still have some degree of fun to them, and fun is not brutal. Turn back the clock a century or so and the concept of fun would be almost unheard of, at least in its current form.

What the HELL are you trying to say?

These places? Spotify? ANUS? Where on the internet would a "devoted listener of Corelli, Locatelli, Buxtehude, and so on" "venture" to? Are you talking about a state of mind that the listener goes to while listening?

Those bands? Blasphemy, Absurd and Mütiilation? Havohej, Graveland? Morbid Angel, Necrophobic or Hypocrisy? Who are you referring to? Apparently, they "all have some degree of fun in them," but I'm pretty sure there's nothing manifestly more fun about any particular selection of those bands compared to the rest, so that doesn't clear anything up.

After that you go on to say that "fun" is not brutal (a strange statement). After that, "fun would be almost unheard of" a "century or so" ago (a dubious statement). So, are you trying to say that the epoch of those composers you mentioned was brutal? According to that, a "devoted listener" of Baroque would also be... a metalhead? Or, is metal in some way not truly brutal?

There are some pretty strange posts here, but Jesus. No wonder people often don't take this forum seriously.

What the HELL are you trying to say?

These places? Spotify? ANUS? Where on the internet would a "devoted listener of Corelli, Locatelli, Buxtehude, and so on" "venture" to? Are you talking about a state of mind that the listener goes to while listening?

Those bands? Blasphemy, Absurd and Mütiilation? Havohej, Graveland? Morbid Angel, Necrophobic or Hypocrisy? Who are you referring to? Apparently, they "all have some degree of fun in them," but I'm pretty sure there's nothing manifestly more fun about any particular selection of those bands compared to the rest, so that doesn't clear anything up.

After that you go on to say that "fun" is not brutal (a strange statement). After that, "fun would be almost unheard of" a "century or so" ago (a dubious statement). So, are you trying to say that the epoch of those composers you mentioned was brutal? According to that, a "devoted listener" of Baroque would also be... a metalhead? Or, is metal in some way not truly brutal?

There are some pretty strange posts here, but Jesus. No wonder people often don't take this forum seriously.
When he said "these places" he didn't mean the internet. was referring to my comment about the common man rarely going to 'the places' in their brain that would understand the themes of the previously mentioned metal bands. I can't speak for him but I'm pretty sure he was saying that Locatelli, Buxtehude, and Corelli have similar themes to their music at times. I am unfamiliar with Corelli but as a devoted fan of Buxtehude and a dabbler into Locatelli, I'd have to agree.

he was referring to my comment about the common man rarely going to 'the places' in their brain that would understand the themes of the previously mentioned metal bands. I can't speak for him but I'm pretty sure he was saying that Locatelli, Buxtehude, and Corelli have similar themes to their music at times. I am unfamiliar with Corelli but as a devoted fan of Buxtehude and a dabbler into Locatelli, I'd haive to agree.

In other words, "Blasphemy, Profanatica/Havohej and Mütiilation [and Graveland]" are all brutal because, unlike the bands featured on Spotify, they aren't fun. This theme (?) is shared by these three arbitrarily selected Baroque composers how?

Your answer is not a sufficient defense of Galvanized's poorly written post. I have no interest in starting or engaging in a flame war, but people on this forum (including myself) need to be called out if their writing is ineffective. There's not much point in sharing your thoughts if you are incapable of communicating them.

In this case, the author comes across as a native English speaker. If this is true, he/she has less of an excuse, and for the future should adopt a more adapted outlook on writing. Then again, this is a forum.

allow me to jump in for a sec and just say I was simply hoping to see a bit more metal on Spotify than there is at the moment, and in particular, more participation from members of this forum.  the service, because of its interactive capability, has the potential to be a pretty nice resource for us.  I would assume that has the service grows, the music available for streaming will become more diverse.  Pandora has plenty of "brutal" music in its library - which is largely attributable to it having existed longer than Spotify - so, I think Dinaric Leather's assumption is misguided. 

In other words, "Blasphemy, Profanatica/Havohej and Mütiilation [and Graveland]" are all "brutal" because, unlike the bands featured on Spotify, they aren't "fun." This "theme" (?) is shared by these three (no doubt arbitrarily selected) Baroque composers how?
You misunderstand entirely, those bands are, in fact, what one could call fun. They aren't brutal by virtue of their un-fun-ness, on the contrary most music that is excessively brutal usually is doing so for the sake of fun.

Your answer is not a sufficient defense of Galvanized's terribly written post. I have no interest in starting or engaging in a flame war, but people on this forum (including myself) need to be called out if their writing is shit. There's not much point in sharing your thoughts if you can't communicate them effectively.

n this case, the author comes across as a native English speaker. If this is true, he/she has no excuse, and for the future should adopt a more adapted outlook on writing. Then again, this is a forum. Good, refined things should not be expected from any forum, no less this one.
I don't believe you. You tell me you have no interest in arguing but you write with great arrogance, assuming that the post must be poorly written instead of considering that you may simply not understand. In addition to that you are treating this like a war, telling me I am 'defending' Galvanized when all I did was give my interpretation of his words.

I don't believe you. You tell me you have no interest in arguing but you write with great arrogance, assuming that the post must be poorly written instead of considering that you may simply not understand. In addition to that you are treating this like a war, telling me I am 'defending' Galvanized when all I did was give my interpretation of his words.

You are right about all this, especially with regards to the use of the word "defending." This is a reflection of poor discipline on my part.

However, my point was intended to mean - and obviously has not effectively conveyed this idea - that I do not understand the meaning of the author because, as far as I can tell, it is impossible to do so satisfactorily because the post was so loosely or abstractly written. I'd be interested in continuing this conversation if it turns out to prove me wrong, and there is a distinct meaning to be taken from the post in question.

So far, your own explanations of your own understanding of the writing don't seem to be conclusive, in that they are not wholly based on the rhetoric of Galvanized, but on what you believe to be his intention (which was probably intelligent and well-meaning, but as I said before, null-and-void if you aren't able to effectively communicate it ). Refer to my below comparison of one of your last points and Galvanized's post.

In other words, "Blasphemy, Profanatica/Havohej and Mütiilation [and Graveland]" are all "brutal" because, unlike the bands featured on Spotify, they aren't "fun." This "theme" (?) is shared by these three (no doubt arbitrarily selected) Baroque composers how?
They aren't brutal by virtue of their un-fun-ness, on the contrary most music that is excessively brutal usually is doing so for the sake of fun.

Quote from: Galvanized
Those bands all still have some degree of fun to them, and fun is not brutal.

?