Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Classical music

Classical music
September 05, 2006, 08:48:47 PM
If i enjoy black metal, what composers of classical music or even opera should i listen to that capture the same or similar feeling? (think early satyricon, emperor, dimmu's "fear and wonder" )

Vajra

Re: Classical music
September 05, 2006, 11:10:46 PM
Obvious choices would be Edvard Greig (direct inspiration to Emperor)

and Enslaved (Bjørnson) according to Euronymous.

Edvard Grieg
September 06, 2006, 01:16:25 AM
I recommend the Piano concerto in A minor. Beautiful.
In the Hall of the Mountain King (I Dovregubbens hall) is a very typical song you can begin with, most metal people find it to be good and easy to like. Apocalyptica has it on the 'Cult' album.
You've should check out Morning Mood (Morgenstemning) as well, you've probably heard it before (It's been used in a trillion commercials and cartoons).

Vajra

September 06, 2006, 01:25:47 AM
Not really drawing from a Black Metal band, but what's the name of the work from which Blood Axis use a passage on the track 'Reign I Forever' from their 'Gospel Of Inhumanity' album?

Well, I'm hoping that passage isn't the extent of the actual Classical piece. Somehow I think Thor is involved in the title.

Thanks if anybody can identify it. Think it'll work as a recommendation at the same time.

September 06, 2006, 02:46:37 AM
The Challenge of Thor by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow is the spoken piece; the music is taken from "Romeo and Juliet" by Prokofiev.

Vajra

September 06, 2006, 03:14:03 AM
Oh. ' Shame.

September 06, 2006, 01:44:45 PM
Not really drawing from a Black Metal band, but what's the name of the work from which Blood Axis use a passage on the track 'Reign I Forever' from their 'Gospel Of Inhumanity' album?

Well, I'm hoping that passage isn't the extent of the actual Classical piece. Somehow I think Thor is involved in the title.

Thanks if anybody can identify it. Think it'll work as a recommendation at the same time.

That is from Prokofievs'
Romeo and Juliet - Op. 64 - Dance of the Knights.

Prokofiev made a few versions of the Romeo and Juliet ballet, in Op64ter - Romeo and Juliet Suite No. 2 that melody appears in the song of "Montagues and Capulets". This version is much slower, personally I think it's better.

Op. 75 Piano reduction of Romeo and Juliet also has it with the name "Montagues and Capulets", however I can't remember if that's usually the slow or fast version.

Speaking of this, I should probably get to uploading this (heads off to the audiofile section).

September 06, 2006, 01:46:05 PM
Gustav ''Everybody in metal copy me'' Holst can help you too.

Bach for the early Emperor/Satyricon keyboard part too...

Beethoven is cool, even if I don't think you'll find that much influence. Try the 6th symphony maybe.

September 06, 2006, 02:11:14 PM
Try Shostakovich and Enescu, almost surely not an influence, but it's some rather crazy classical music. imagine it played as riffs and you have perfect metal ^^
look through classical composers too... Mozart, Vivaldi and Tchaikovsky have great moments in their pieces.

Re: Edvard Grieg
September 06, 2006, 09:04:56 PM
I recommend the Piano concerto in A minor.

very specific there, there msut be several hundred piano concertos in A minor

i suggest the first peice of the saint jonh passion by bach, any of bachs inventions that were in a minor key, any of his organ works that are in a minor key.

another good composer is mozart, you should try his Requiem mass

beethovens early stuff might suite you people well, so things like his Concerto for Piano and Orchestra

September 09, 2006, 09:07:52 AM
classic is alright, but I believe that music has gotten better over  the years

September 09, 2006, 09:56:03 AM
classic is alright, but I believe that music has gotten better over  the years

WTF!?

September 09, 2006, 05:25:09 PM

WTF!?

I've been left similarly speechless by the barrage of inane posts tonight.

September 10, 2006, 02:36:05 AM
Alot of these dudes recorded their stuff in The Grieg Hall!

The Grieg Hall (Grieghallen) is a 1,500 seat concert hall in Bergen, Norway. It has been the home of the Bergen Philharmonic Orchestra since the hall's completion in 1978. It hosted the Eurovision Song Contest in 1986, and is the host of the annual Norwegian Brass Band Championship competition, which occurs in mid-winter. The hall is named after Bergen-born composer Edvard Grieg, who was music director of the Bergen Philharmonic Orchestra from 1880 until 1882.

It has also been used to record many seminal black metal albums from some of Norway's most infamous bands including Mayhem, Emperor, Burzum and Immortal. Most of these were produced by Eirik Hundvin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grieg_Hall

COINCIDENCE??!?!?!?!  

September 10, 2006, 11:39:02 AM
music has gotten better!? no matter what part of metal you look at (or what group you look at in terms of black metal) there has been a classical composer to match and best them, death metal is either in the style of baroque or romantic but the barouque and romantic composers do it better

for early heavy metal theres very early classical, although it gives a different feel its still the same level of complexity and fairly similar to bands like manowar (im only using manowar as an example coz there music is so similar)

music hasnt gotten better is just slightly different view on the music (but of much less quality for most people arnt schooled in music anymore), why i follow metal is because of the idealogy behind it, if metal was a hollow genre i would listen purly to classical