Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Hinge albums

Hinge albums
September 06, 2006, 03:25:59 PM
Hinge albums are those where metal bands decide to stop making art and start making a product to pander to the Moron Horde. They're interesting because a lot of the art remains, but you can see the new direction -- and know it'll be icky. Here's a starter list:

1. Metallica - Metallica
2. Slayer - Divine Intervention
3. Ancient - The Cainian Chronicles
4. Deicide - last four albums
5. Black Sabbath - Never Say Die
6. Iron Maiden - No Prayer for the Dying
7. Dorkthrone - Ravishing Grimness
8. Napalm Death - Words from the Exit Womb
9. Morbid Angel - Domination
10. Nuclear Assault - Out of Order

used also as troll on emo forum

Re: Hinge albums
September 06, 2006, 03:33:25 PM
Manowar - Fighting the World (if you consider the past album as some kind of art)

September 06, 2006, 04:18:27 PM
Megadeth's Youthanasia - this record has some bright moments but on the whole, it's a sorry attempt to get airplay on mainstream radio.

Chuck Schuldiner's latter albums - this is what happens when you pander to the vain idiots at Guitar World magazine.

Pantera's Reinventing the Steel - tired, boring rubbish. Dime being shot by a pyscho is not a real atrocity, this is.

September 06, 2006, 04:56:16 PM
9. Morbid Angel - Domination

I honestly don't think that this album was made to "pander to the Moron Horde". I think they were lost on a direction, and wanted to take a stab at a more melodic approach.

September 06, 2006, 05:13:23 PM
At the Gates - Terminal Spirit Disease
In Flames - Whoracle
Sepultura - Chaos AD

September 06, 2006, 08:36:44 PM

Emperor - Anthems...
Dissection - Storm of the Light's Bane

Vajra

September 06, 2006, 11:06:38 PM
Amorphis - Tales From The Thousand Lakes
Carcass - Heartwork
Immortal - Sons Of Northern Darkness
Dimmu Borgir - Enthrone Darkness Triumphant

but you gotta say about the last two, the seeds of pandering were planted in their previous album(s (Spammed In Black)).

September 07, 2006, 01:16:30 AM
Have to agree with Metalist here, Slayer started getting lazy and accessible straight after Reign In Blood. South Of Heaven and Seasons In The Abyss are enjoyable enough for the metal newbie,  and even as a hardened thrash/speed fan I still enjoy them from time to time, but while RIB is a 10, SITA and SOH I would struggle to give a 7 to. However, I think even someone without the benefit of hindsight or context could tell Divine Intervention is awful.

I`d also say Spreading The Disease by Anthrax, which whilst entertaining enough for those that don`t know any better has a definite cheesy `lowest common denominator` appeal compared to Fistful Of Metal, and  Master Of Puppets which is bloated, bombastic and lazy compared to RTL. Whilst some of the magic remains, I could tell at this point the band had already reached their peak.

September 07, 2006, 01:40:49 AM
Pantera's Reinventing the Steel - tired, boring rubbish. Dime being shot by a pyscho is not a real atrocity, this is.

One could argue that the release of every Pantera album should be considered an atrocity.

September 07, 2006, 03:44:04 AM
Sepultura - Chaos AD

Not Chaos AD; that was already a terrible album without recompense. Arise, despite being a superficially solid album, falters in comparison to Sepultura's earlier works (of which all three offer masterful insight into the genre/aesthetic each one explored). After a few listens, one finds that it lacks a dimension that had been present up until Beneath the Remains--drawing too heavily from hardcore by this point, Arise is an album created by tired musicians. Highlight of the album: the first few songs and the lengthier song intros scattered throughout (which conjure up the exotic majesty of a virgin Brazilian landscape and sacred mythos).

Annihilaytorr

September 07, 2006, 07:05:37 AM

I have drawn comparisons between post RIB Slayer and Domination before. I think there was still plenty of spirit left in Slayer for the two albums following RIB, and plenty of spirit left in Morbid Angel post Covenant. Domination was a bit lazy, and suffered from internal divisions in band member philosophy which pulled it apart. Formulas is a bit of a novelty as it is almost a return to the quality of material seen before the "sellout", despite Trey being 100% insane by the recording of this album.

Lets face it, Deicide go completely braindead following Legion. I would take Domination over the lobotomized abortion that is Once Upon the Cross anyday.

Celtic Frost - Into the Pandemonium
Therion - Symphony Masses
Sodom - Agent Orange
Satyricon - Rebel Extravaganza

September 07, 2006, 07:58:36 AM
Therion - Symphony Masses

I can't agree with this. Yes, the album shows some signs of decline, but not by much. It's a solid metal album. The heavy/death metal approach works well.

September 07, 2006, 04:46:28 PM
If the absolutely godawful are to be included in a list of hinge albums, those with such lacking of spirit as "World Demise," "Amok," "On Twilight Enthroned," "Victory," "Aggressive Measures," "Prove You Wrong," "Black Metal ist Krieg," or "Blut" top one's list.

Albums which exhibited marked signs of decline relative to a band's former work, but remain listenable, include:

Behemoth - Pandemonic Incantations
Dismember - Indecent & Obscene
Enslaved - Blodhemn
Entombed - Clandestine
Eucharist - Mirrorworlds
Fleshcrawl - Bloodred Massacre
Gorgoroth - Destroyer
Kreator - Coma Of Souls
Necrophobic - Darkside
Sacramentum - Thy Black Destiny
Samael - Ceremony Of Opposites

Annihilaytorr

September 07, 2006, 07:09:39 PM
Indecent and Obscene? U outch yo mind boi....

September 07, 2006, 07:49:00 PM
Judas Priest-British Steel
They still had a few "hits" and some good word afterward, but the ideas and practices of this album ruined them in the long run.