Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

(Water) Fasting

(Water) Fasting
July 29, 2011, 08:20:18 AM
I have been researching fasting and it's physical, and to a lesser extent psychological, effects on the faster. The information on this, like many health related topics, is very convoluted and reliable sources are hard to come by. I have heard and read much talk of "detoxifying" the body through fasting. I'm a little skeptical although interested and was wondering if anyone knows of any good writings or perhaps scientific studies on the subject.

Given the demographics that these forums attract, I wouldn't be surprised if someone reading this has fasted themselves. If this is the case I'd obviously be very interested in hearing about the experience.

Re: (Water) Fasting
July 29, 2011, 12:51:55 PM
I have the fortune of being next door to a store which deals with natural and holistic products as well as bodybuilding products. I can ask him what his thoughts are on the subject matter. Technically speaking he can be considered a nutritional doctor. I believe him to be great in his field. I will see what he has to offer.

July 29, 2011, 02:39:57 PM
i've fasted for up to a week at a time in the past, allowing myself only tea and the rare small cube of cheese when the pangs of hunger were too great. i did it out of simple curiosity. the most profound thing you'll experience while fasting, providing you fast for the proper length of time, is the state of ketosis. ketosis is when the blood contains an elevated level of ketone bodies, which are formed by ketogenosis when glycogen stores in the liver are depleted as a result of the body compensating for lack of food.

the sensation of ketosis can be described as that eerie calm and alertness that takes over you in the early stages of LSD intoxication. to me, it was like being in a state of primal awareness. i was much less focused on my interior thoughts, and far more aware of my surroundings than normal. it's often thought that early hunter gatherer tribes lived in a constant state of ketosis, due to their relatively low carbohydrate intake.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paleolithic_diet

edit: if you do decide to fast, dinaric, i'd be interested to hear how it goes.

July 29, 2011, 04:12:37 PM
http://www.stormfront.org/forum/t13016/

I pretty much agree with this regarding fasting.

August 01, 2011, 05:18:38 AM
Hollistic bull shit. Fasting is about as good for you as drinking your own urine.

August 01, 2011, 05:32:00 AM
Hollistic bull shit. Fasting is about as good for you as drinking your own urine.

Thankyou for your insightful analysis.

but seriously, fasting is about more than just physical health, although there are physical health benefits.  It is about self discipline primarily, learning to strengthen your will to the point where it is able to overcome whatever physical duress you are under.  It is not possible to attain true self discipline whilst living in total comfort, anyone who says otherwise is probably looking for an excuse not to alter their own life.  Hessians could learn a great deal from Christians and Muslims here, they fast to prove to themselves that their dedication to God is more significant to them than physical comfort.  Now, regardless of how you feel about their beliefs, how many of you would make the same sacrifices for your ideals?

August 01, 2011, 11:12:37 AM

Thankyou for your insightful analysis.

but seriously, fasting is about more than just physical health, although there are physical health benefits.  It is about self discipline primarily, learning to strengthen your will to the point where it is able to overcome whatever physical duress you are under.  It is not possible to attain true self discipline whilst living in total comfort, anyone who says otherwise is probably looking for an excuse not to alter their own life.  Hessians could learn a great deal from Christians and Muslims here, they fast to prove to themselves that their dedication to God is more significant to them than physical comfort.  Now, regardless of how you feel about their beliefs, how many of you would make the same sacrifices for your ideals?

*Queue the "my beleefs arn't so dumb i need to stop eating cheetos for a couple of days* crowd*

August 01, 2011, 01:10:49 PM
I ate so healthy, that it is my main priority everyday. No junk food, no soda, no artificial sugar. I take vitamins everyday, and probiotics . I eat six small meals that are protein and complex carb centered. In the seven weeks of my training, I have lost weight and muscles are buiilding. Honestly I feel better at 31 then I did at 21! I workout 4 times a day and do cardio twice a day everyday. This is a great place to be at physically and the benefits are
amazing:

Increased focus
Stamina
Strength
Confidence 

August 01, 2011, 01:53:51 PM
I mainly try to drink warm water and limit the use of tea/coffee or other stimulants especially towards the evening. Also raw lemon or lime juice daily is very helpful to decrease acidity in the body.

Most of the hessians I've met would generally fit the well disciplined health-conscious scenario which is a natural reaction to having rejected the modern world.

August 02, 2011, 12:01:12 AM
I ate so healthy, that it is my main priority everyday. No junk food, no soda, no artificial sugar. I take vitamins everyday, and probiotics . I eat six small meals that are protein and complex carb centered. In the seven weeks of my training, I have lost weight and muscles are buiilding. Honestly I feel better at 31 then I did at 21! I workout 4 times a day and do cardio twice a day everyday. This is a great place to be at physically and the benefits are
amazing:

Increased focus
Stamina
Strength
Confidence 
How the hell do you have time to work out four times a day!?

August 02, 2011, 03:03:46 AM
amazing:

Increased focus
Stamina
Strength
Confidence 

What's the difference between a calorie from junk food, and a calorie from one of your "healthy" foods?

August 02, 2011, 03:49:43 AM
Junk food is processed, and the calories don't give you the same type of energy that a vegetable does.

Are you really going to question the virtues of eating healthy? Come on now.

August 02, 2011, 03:50:42 AM
How the hell do you have time to work out four times a day!?

I get the feeling you think he meant he spent a solid hour working out each time he worked out. I could be wrong, but I really doubt that is the case.

August 02, 2011, 04:07:35 AM
Ah, I meant to say work out four times a week.  My dubious error for sure.

The question of the calorie is always brought up in this manner, but answered simply: The value of the calorie in healthy food is much more effective  then junk food, and less harmful.  Instead of me buying vegetables from the super market, I buy from a local farmer's market, thus supporting the farmer's directly, and I know the quality is high. For instance, I buy two dozen eggs at the farmer's market. The difference in taste and appearance is outstanding. 

August 02, 2011, 08:48:27 AM
amazing:

Increased focus
Stamina
Strength
Confidence 

What's the difference between a calorie from junk food, and a calorie from one of your "healthy" foods?

What's the difference between a brick made of shit, and a brick made of clay?