Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Introducing intelligent people to intelligent metal

Most intelligent people seem to have a very low opinion of metal, in my experience. It's not really a mystery why either, since most of them will probably never be exposed to the best bands of the genre and only hear nu-metal/metalcore on the radio.

My group of friends (who are, for the most part, quite intelligent people) will listen to classical, but veer away from anything else with the slightest bit of testosterone/ "vir" in it. Their other listening material usually consists of jazz, folk-singers, indie rock, and other wimpy, aesthetics-obsessed music.

Perhaps they consider it "unsophisticated" to embrace warlike feelings and masculinity in music. Maybe they associate aggression in music with blue collar idiots. Or maybe my friends are a bunch of pussies with dangerously low testosterone levels who are too concerned with what other people might think about the music they listen to.

All this aside, some of them are still quite observant about the music they listen to. I haven't been successful in showing any of them metal yet, though. So what albums/songs would you introduce a classical listener to metal with? And how can we destroy the mental barriers between "intelligent music" and "aggressive music?"

Perhaps they consider it "unsophisticated" to embrace warlike feelings and masculinity in music. Maybe they associate aggression in music with blue collar idiots.
Yes and yes, mostly the latter, because most metal fans are alcohol-addled teenagers.  So were many of the great metal composers. 
So what albums/songs would you introduce a classical listener to metal with? And how can we destroy the mental barriers between "intelligent music" and "aggressive music?"
I wouldn't appease like that, though I did in 9th grade: "But Mom, 'Master of Puppets' is like 9 minutes long, and they listened to Beethoven!'

I've found that musicians (though non-Metal) will recognize that something is going on in the great works, and maybe even suspend their aversion to the distortion and growls/screeches--it's at least interesting, to those who care about composition. 

You might destroy the mental barriers between Intelligent and Aggressive music when metalheads cut their hair, kill the juvenile delinquency, chill on the drug abuse, go to college, and become normal.  But then, would the great works have been made under those conditions?  DANG IT.  This shit was never built to make sense to the average indie-popper.  You can't convince fuckers to like it, only highlight the awesome characteristics that they've overlooked.

Still, start from the canon, and discern if the listener would vibe more with composition/meaning, technique, atmosphere/production, vocals, lyrics, whatever.

I hope high school starts again soon.

Introduce people to the classics, with a mix tape. If they aren't interested then you could just accept that not everyone in the world needs to listen to metal music.

Introduce people to the classics, with a mix tape. If they aren't interested then you could just accept that not everyone in the world needs to listen to metal music.

I agree with this. One Hunter Hunt Hendrix is enough in the world. Some people should never get into metal because they're just going to insist on making "their own version" or having "their own interpretation" of it. Particularly if metal doesn't appeal to the senses when someone is young then usually there's no point in exposing them to metal when they're older.

I agree with this. One Hunter Hunt Hendrix is enough in the world. Some people should never get into metal because they're just going to insist on making "their own version" or having "their own interpretation" of it. Particularly if metal doesn't appeal to the senses when someone is young then usually there's no point in exposing them to metal when they're older.

This is what makes metal great, but also kills it; the crowd aren't invited (quality over quantity) but then it never grows out of its own youth culture and pays too much attention to the war against the crowd.

I think that most non-metal listeners are some sort of musical snobs when it comes to listening to metal. They consider metal to be loud and stupid which isn't the case. With regards to introducing someone to metal I'd probably go in for a Speed-Thrash-Black metal combo with bands like Metallica, Slayer, Darkthrone, Immortal to name some.

If an otherwise intelligent music fan remains ignorant to some of the great works in death/black metal then make a compilation of some of the great works, for instance, stuff from thetop 15s on the DLA. Maybe choose tracks with the least vocals, as this tend to be the most alienating factor.

There will be roughly three possible responses. One is a total rejection of it and refusal to acknowledge any value in it, in which case leave it there; as has been stated, not all people need to like metal. The second possibility is that they recognise the value in it, the uniqueness of it and appreciate it more as an artform, but they will hold that it is not for them; 'thanks, but no thanks'. The final and least likely possibility is that you open their eyes (or ears) to a whole new world of musical possibilities, in which case keep the recomendations flowing.
In a state of permanent Abyss

Why force art onto an unsuspecting dolt? If they had an ounce of personality or adventure, they'd find beauty for themselves. From the shallow responses they've given, I don't want them to listen to metal. We need LESS listeners. There is only a few thousand in the world worthy of such odysseys as Burzum or early Emperor.

I notice (real) Swedish Death Metal such as Necrophobic or Hypocrisy, as well as Floridian Death Metal are good ways to introduce people to metal.

Metal is a thing of times past. I don't see much of a point in going out of your way to get people into it. Unless they seem to be a budding musical genius that needs exposure to all good music, in which case they're most likely already aware of the good shit.

Keep them away from metalheads: even shameless hipsters really don't want to grow up to be pizza kitchen lifers.

I notice (real) Swedish Death Metal such as Necrophobic or Hypocrisy, as well as Floridian Death Metal are good ways to introduce people to metal.

Metal is a thing of times past. I don't see much of a point in going out of your way to get people into it. Unless they seem to be a budding musical genius that needs exposure to all good music, in which case they're most likely already aware of the good shit.

Ok, firstly just because someone has above average intelligence and a good ear for music it does not mean they will automatically come across bands on the DLA. There is absolutely no harm in directing people towards music they may be interested in, as long as one is selective in who they give these recomendations to. Secondly, metal is not a thing of times past. Even if a remotely credible metal album is never again put to record it still has relevance today and will do until this sorry species dies out. You have clearly learnt nothing about metal from this forum and website. Lastly, no one is talking about forcing anything onto anyone, just friendly recomendations are on the table here.
In a state of permanent Abyss

Why do you want friends/peers to like this music? That's not an accusation but a genuine question. Do you want them to enjoy it so you have something more to share with them? Do you want them to learn something from the music on an artistic level? an ideological level? Or do you want them to respect you? All of these can be good reasons but what's most important to you?

In any case, albums: I'd probably suggest In the Nightside Eclipse for black metal and for death metal, I dunno, maybe Here in After or The Red in the Sky is Ours. actually I'd probably do a mix tape.

For the type of audience you describe that's intelligent but has a low tolerance towards metal, I suggest the following song recommendations:

Age of Silence - The Concept of Haste
Arcturus - Ad Astra
Borknagar - Oceans Rise (new version)
Estradasphere - The Return
Gordian Knot - A Shaman's Whisper
Samael - Moonskin
Ulver - Capitel I, I Troldskog Faren Vild

Baby steps people, baby steps.
www.TheMetalDiscourser.com
The universe is naked, attack its corpus, take a real stab at your life and let the blood flow RIP the sound of the very fabric tearing.

Perhaps it would be wise to introduce these people to non-metal side projects of metal musicians. For example, using Neptune Towers as a stepping stone into Darkthrone's discography might be effective.
"The traveler with empty pockets will sing in the thief 's face." - Juvenal

"We cannot change anything until we accept it. Condemnation does not liberate, it oppresses." - Carl Jung

"Time spent with cats is never wasted." - Sigmund Freud