Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Unemployment

Unemployment
August 02, 2011, 08:55:59 AM
At a time when the world is slowly but steadily overcoming the aftershocks of The Great Depression-Part II (2008-2010), we find that there are still countries that have taken bailouts and grappling with many problems, one of them being unemployment. Unemployment is a global phenomenon and tough to tackle. Are there unemployed people here like me who are facing it everyday and hoping for a better life? :(

Re: Unemployment
August 02, 2011, 11:52:16 AM
:*(

August 02, 2011, 01:46:03 PM
get a job you fuckwit, even if it's burger king. it's not that hard. take a shower, shave your face, dress nice and go talk to a manager somewhere. use a little charisma. 99% of people who blame the economy for them being unemployed are full of shit and making excuses.

edit: and go to college motherfucker, financial aid is easy to get.

August 02, 2011, 04:15:03 PM
Bunch of dudes just shipped out to Afghanistan. Has opportunity come knocking again and found someone else snoozing?

August 02, 2011, 06:29:10 PM
I'm unemployed, but I have classes every day and intend to pursue my field to PhD. If I didn't like learning, I'd pursue a trade and do something productive. Concerning Vigor's suggestion, I get financial AIDS from the government just for being a full-time student. The first year university grant is >$5000AU. Unfortunately you'll spend a disproportionately large amount of that on text books and tuition.

The issue I draw with this program is that people whose courses are extended wank parades (most BA courses, really) are given this same grant despite not being able to turn their knowledge into anything genuinely productive. I fail to see how the unending parade of adolescent idiots streaming into universities to extend their social cliques and indulge in triviality deserve anything more than contempt. I feel this is reflected in the difference in funding between arts and science faculties. I am yet to encounter a university (this may be a purely Australian phenomenon) that proportionately funds the science faculty for all the good work it does. A friend recently mentioned one of his astronomy lecturers was notable for research into the cannibalization of galaxies. I tried to find an equivalent discovery, or even some interesting reading from the art faculty. I found a portfolio of mugshots from the early 1900s. Even the philosophy lectures are totally lackluster, like the babble of a logician who has just vented the majority of his cerebral cortex. It has the added detriment of making every impressionable mind (everyone) ejaculate constantly with premature enlightenment till you drown in a sea of pretentiousness. But I digress.

You *can* find a job if you try hard enough. It is actually a matter of willpower. If that doesn't work, try studying until you have qualifications to work. Engineering is a good field with many practical skills that you can learn and apply to better yourself and others. If that doesn't suit you, throwing yourself off a cliff is probably the best thing you can/will do.

Also, isn't the OP from India? I have some fuzzy memory to that effect, although I could certainly have been doing entirely too much crack.

August 02, 2011, 06:34:12 PM
Come to think of it, you may be right. Make that Kashmir, not Afghanistan.

August 02, 2011, 10:45:24 PM
99% of people who blame the economy for them being unemployed are full of shit and making excuses.

Yes so many companies are understaffed, they cannot find anyone decent out of all those who apply, I mean it's not easy to flip a burger you fucking idiot.

August 03, 2011, 05:31:25 PM
99% of people who blame the economy for them being unemployed are full of shit and making excuses.
Yes so many companies are understaffed, they cannot find anyone decent out of all those who apply, I mean it's not easy to flip a burger you fucking idiot.

From what I've observed in the past year, this is partially true.

I spent about 8 months at a company that assembled simple electronic components. Every so many weeks we'd get a new guy the temp agency. More than half of them didn't work out.

"Didn't work out" - meaning they didn't show up, were unproductive while the rest of us were constantly hurrying, were late, showed up intoxicated, or just bailed on us one day. One guy was hesitant to start until around the time his unemployment would have run out. He later admitted to that causing his lack of motivation. (And I remember commentators saying it was ridiculous that people would settle for unemployment.)

The job payed well ($10/hr up to 55 hrs a week, health/dental/vision/life benefits after 3 months, 401k) so you'd think they would be trying as hard as they could to keep it but it was like they just didn't care.

I hear the same thing from other employers of small businesses around here. (SW Ohio).

Maybe it depends on locality.

August 03, 2011, 06:40:13 PM

From what I've observed in the past year, this is partially true.

I spent about 8 months at a company that assembled simple electronic components. Every so many weeks we'd get a new guy the temp agency. More than half of them didn't work out.

"Didn't work out" - meaning they didn't show up, were unproductive while the rest of us were constantly hurrying, were late, showed up intoxicated, or just bailed on us one day. One guy was hesitant to start until around the time his unemployment would have run out. He later admitted to that causing his lack of motivation. (And I remember commentators saying it was ridiculous that people would settle for unemployment.)

The job payed well ($10/hr up to 55 hrs a week, health/dental/vision/life benefits after 3 months, 401k) so you'd think they would be trying as hard as they could to keep it but it was like they just didn't care.

I hear the same thing from other employers of small businesses around here. (SW Ohio).

Maybe it depends on locality.

I live in Canada, but I would be very surprised if what you say is representative of a broader pattern to a significant extent. Certainly in some sectors there's great demand for skilled labor and the USA is falling behind in this regard, but I believe there are really not many job openings in general manufacturing, retail and service jobs.

If I'm wrong about this, a crucial point still remains. It's like when an astronaut goes on a commercial and says the idiotic line that you can do anything if you try hard enough - this is only relatively true because for a given individual the statement may be more or less legitimate, however if the whole population tried as hard as they could then clearly there can only be so few astronauts and the vast majority of people would fail to become one. So if a large percentage of the unemployed don't possess the maturity to keep a job, if they all suddenly developed sufficient maturity to do so then there would quickly be a shortage of job openings.

Also, I think we can both agree that as to the number of unemployed who are unemployed due to their own stupidity rather than the economic context surrounding them, surely 99% is a completely unhelpful exaggeration of this number.

August 04, 2011, 07:21:45 AM
Having a job is important but it's only one of many things that make someone a good citizen. Look at an average traffic jam, you really want to be part of that? To be some red-headed asshole who's always in a hurry because his job consumes the majority of his life? To look back at years of personal and social failure, indeed to even look down upon others and say "yeah well at least I have a job motherfucker!"

I understand the point of contributing to society but when people complain about the jobless most of the time the envy and frustration about their own lives are painfully obvious. I rarely come across people who can reasonably explain why jobs are important other than the "everybody should work" mantra which gets repeated over and over again.

Yes, everybody should work, I agree with being a productive citizen. But a job shouldn't be worn like a badge of self-entitlement, there's enough thoughtless over-consumers already. Hell, if only most of the "job refusers" weren't thoughtless over-consumers themselves they might even be able to stand for something. But let's face it, the majority of people in today's society are useless whether they work at McDonalds or sit at home playing WoW all day long or have their own pool cleaning company or have a PhD in feminist art. As long as society depends most on garbagemen, bug exterminators and security guards I know we're all fucked anyway because it means our society collectively still hasn't started acting responsibly.

E

August 04, 2011, 02:02:53 PM
The job payed well ($10/hr)

$10/hr wouldn't even tempt me to get out of my bed, especially if it's such a brainless job. 55 hours in a fucking factory, assembling useless crap?
Please, resort to that only if you're plain talentless and gave up on life.

I rarely come across people who can reasonably explain why jobs are important other than the "everybody should work" mantra which gets repeated over and over again...

... by the workers who don't have any aspirations beyond keeping their job, which is the frame their life is organized in; without it, they are nothing.
It translates to 'My life is consumed by my miserable job- I want everyone's life to be consumed by miserable jobs.'

Every healthy individual wants to work as a means to get shit done for himself or his community. The genuine Arbeiter won't understand this, nor the fact that sometimes 'work' doesn't involve wrenches and conveyor belts.

August 04, 2011, 02:03:36 PM
It's not that hard to get a job here, it's harder to get a job that you can actually enjoy or a job you can keep for a long time.

. I am yet to encounter a university (this may be a purely Australian phenomenon) that proportionately funds the science faculty for all the good work it does.
That's a global phenomenon

As long as society depends most on garbagemen, bug exterminators and security guards I know we're all fucked anyway because it means our society collectively still hasn't started acting responsibly.
I love this sentence, thanks!

August 04, 2011, 04:14:40 PM
Also, I think we can both agree that as to the number of unemployed who are unemployed due to their own stupidity rather than the economic context surrounding them, surely 99% is a completely unhelpful exaggeration of this number.

Absolutely. I'm just saying the number of people who remain jobless or poor simply because they're oppressed or have no opportunities is much lower than 99%.

$10/hr wouldn't even tempt me to get out of my bed, especially if it's such a brainless job. 55 hours in a fucking factory, assembling useless crap? Please, resort to that only if you're plain talentless and gave up on life.

If they didn't get out of bed to do, how would they eat or pay their rent? I think you'd be willing to do it if you were in that same position. Or you could beg at a shelter. Or pick through trash.

For some people of those people, that was the most they could hope for. Most of them seemed fairly satisfied with their work. Of course, I hated it. It did feel like I'd given up on life.

August 14, 2011, 05:13:03 PM

While I can't speak to the relative difficulty of flipping a burger, I can tell you that I have accumulated close to 400 applications since the start of this year; of those, I have been able to narrow it down to approximately 15 that I would consider interviewing for a position at my business. I am not understaffed, but I would be interested in bringing on a couple of people if only I could find ones that weren't retards, total flakes, or otherwise incapable of the basic level of human interaction required to close sales.

One thing I find kind of funny is the tendency (in the US) that you're beginning to see in management, human resources, and recruiting relating to the refusal to consider people who are either currently unemployed or who often have long and unexplained durations of unemployment in their work history. Much hand-wringing has been going on lately about "discriminatory" hiring practices that deliberately exclude people who are conspicuously unemployed. The theory is that all the best people already have jobs; these are the people of quality who were able to survive the layoffs and cutbacks and the lean years starting in 2008 who really demonstrated through their work ethic and performance that they were worth keeping around despite the overall struggles of many businesses. Employment is looked at through the prism of an investment; you're not just paying someone to perform a task, you're paying them to perform a task better than anyone else so that they generate through their efforts more revenue than they take. If someone was not good enough for Company A while they were in a pinch, why would they be any better at Company B and could they be relied upon to produce positive results in a tough climate? (Note that I'm not 100% behind this idea since I know very well that sometimes workers that you as a manager or business owner would like to keep around simply have to be let go because of legitimate economic concerns unrelated to their actual ability as employees. Likewise, it happens that mediocre "team players" get kept around by employers because they're sycophantic push-overs.)

Quote from: Vigor
take a shower, shave your face, dress nice and go talk to a manager somewhere. use a little charisma.

This can't be overstated. I can tell within less than 30 seconds which applicants are serious and which ones aren't. Someone truly interested in a job will be professional, outgoing, and demonstrate the core competencies expected of the position within a short period of time (chiefly strong and clear communication skills). Conversely, the less serious applicants will almost always be slovenly dressed and hygienically challenged with desperate or passive attitudes. I'm not going to hire someone who can't make the basic effort to make a good first impression on me, or worse, someone who thinks that wearing a pot leaf shirt with barbecue sauce stains on it is making a good impression. After all, if they're willing to present themselves in that fashion to the person giving them their income, how in the world are they going to present themselves to customers/clients?

Quote from: Umbrage
Yes, everybody should work, I agree with being a productive citizen. But a job shouldn't be worn like a badge of self-entitlement, there's enough thoughtless over-consumers already. Hell, if only most of the "job refusers" weren't thoughtless over-consumers themselves they might even be able to stand for something. But let's face it, the majority of people in today's society are useless whether they work at McDonalds or sit at home playing WoW all day long or have their own pool cleaning company or have a PhD in feminist art.

Ideally, everyone should be doing something that they are good at and good for. In the US (and presumably elsewhere), one of our biggest problems is people who go to college/university for degrees they aren't ever going to use simply because they think it makes them more marketable. College attendance among high school graduates is the highest it's ever been, which is all great in the lovey-dovey abstract sense, but does nothing except cheapen the value of a degree. I don't think everyone should go to college; I don't even know that everyone should have the opportunity to go to college. One of the biggest problems with the consumption economy is that it leaves little room for unskilled manual laborers to ply their trade(s) since these jobs have largely been exported elsewhere. It's funny to look at the trade deficits and surpluses that exist between the United States and China; we send them a ton of great raw materials like soybeans and crap like yarn while they send us all our wonderful gadgets and toys and appliances. Which produces at the level of an industrial superpower and which produces at the level of a third world colony?

In any case, assuming that the political/business class ever wakes up (or finds itself obsolete and replaced) and decides to aim for something resembling self-sufficiency, the country would benefit greatly from a more robust system of vocational schools and programs. I think all students should take an aptitude test (or a series of them) throughout high school to determine what their ideal career placement should be and that they should then be put on that track. It would cut down on degree inflation and actually place people in positions where they can find meaningful and fulfilling work doing something they're good at.

There will always of course be people who are just completely useless and unable to contribute to society in any economically meaningful way; they can fend for themselves.

August 14, 2011, 07:15:38 PM
The Great Depression-Part II (2008-2010)

This is overstated. We can compare statistics, but in terms of overall effect, this was nowhere near as devastating as the Great Depression.

This is an economic hiccup like happened in the 1980s, right after Carter's economic reforms finally bounded home. This is actually the Clinton depression, since his "wonderful" economic policies just deferred revaluation. This is also the world waking up and realizing that despite all the rhetoric, Barack Obama is a political appointee. He is in his role only because he is black. He has no other qualifications. The most powerful nation on earth is in the hands of a junior administrator. That coupled with their inability to balance the budget suggests a dying country spiralling out of control.

If that happens... hope you Europeans like Chinese dicks in your ass.