Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Riots in London after criminal is killed by police

Riot blaze: North London in flames as police cars, bus and shops burn over police shooting of 'gangster'

Twenty-six police officers hurt in clashes, with eight treated in hospital
    Scotland Yard still dealing with 'isolated pockets of crime' this morning
    Tottenham MP David Lammy appeals for calm and warns that there may be fatalities
    Mob of 500 people protest about death of father-of-four Mark Duggan who was shot by officers
    Fears that violence was fanned by Twitter as picture of burning police car was re-tweeted more than 100 times
    One eyewitness reports that trouble was ignited by police hitting a 16-year-old girl with batons
    Shop looted and youths storm McDonald's and start cooking their own food
    Mail on Sunday photographers beaten and mugged by masked thugs

Mr Duggan was shot by officers from the Metropolitan Police’s CO19 unit on Thursday evening after the minicab he was travelling in was stopped. There was an apparent ‘exchange’ of fire and a bullet was found lodged in a police radio. Mr Duggan died at the scene and an officer was injured, but left hospital after treatment.

The violence last night started soon after a crowd of about 120 had begun to gather at the High Road, near Tottenham Hotspur’s football ground, from about 5.30pm. One resident, Laurence Bailey, told the Guardian that the violence started after a 16-year-old girl 'threw something, maybe a stone, at the original riot police line'. He added that this was met with a furious response, with around 15 riot officers pounding her with shields.

This description of events was corroborated by another local who spoke to BBC News. He said that the girl was 'set upon' by police and that the crowd surged forward in anger.

Resident David Akinsanya, 46, who was on the scene, said: ‘It’s really bad. There are two police cars on fire. I’m feeling unsafe. It looks like it’s going to get very tasty. I saw a guy getting attacked.’  A local woman, who declined to give her name, said: ‘There’s a theory going on that the man who was shot had dropped his gun, but they still shot him. I’m hearing that most of the shops in the High Road are being burgled and robbed.’

Several fire crews could only stand ready nearby as they were barred from the High Road where buildings and the bus were ablaze. One fireman complained to The Mail on Sunday that earlier, three engines had been dispatched to the scene without being warned they were entering a riot zone. He said: ‘We were sent to a road accident but it was the police cars on fire. ‘We were then ordered to leave them burning and to drive off, probably for our own safety.

‘I cannot believe what we have just driven through. As we pulled out of the station, there was a car on fire on the High Road and there were people in the middle of the road – it was very scary. We didn’t give them a chance to try to stop us. I am still shaking.’

Meanwhile, two Mail on Sunday photographers were viciously beaten and robbed by masked youths armed with crowbars and other makeshift weapons and reporters on the scene were threatened by looters in balaclavas. The photographers said there was ‘total lawlessness’ in the area with the contents of shops strewn across the streets and the police unable to gain access. One said: ‘It is utter carnage out there. We have been beaten up quite badly and had about £8,000 of equipment stolen. We were quite discreet but as soon as we got a camera out we were set on by youths with masks who were armed with crowbars.’

In a separate incident, a Mail on Sunday reporter was chased down a side street and struck on the back of the head with a rock.

In a parallel with the 1985 riot, residents claimed the roots of last night’s violence lay in allegations of police harassment. John Blake, who grew up with Mr Duggan on the Broadwater estate, claimed the dead man had been victimised by police in recent weeks. He said: ‘I know the police were harassing him. The police were following him. If you’re from Broadwater Farm, police are on you every day, you’re not allowed to come off the estate. If you come off the estate they follow you.’

A family friend of Mr Duggan, who gave her name only as Nikki, 53, said the man’s friends and relatives had organised the protest because ‘something has to be done’ and the marchers wanted ‘justice for the family’. Some of those involved lay in the road to make their point, she said. ‘They’re making their presence known because people are not happy,’ she added. ‘This guy was not violent. Yes, he was involved in things but he was not an aggressive person. He had never hurt anyone.’ [Umbrage note: because we all know criminals don't hurt people, right?]

As the rioting escalated, trouble-makers on Twitter seemed keen to orchestrate the violence, bringing scores more people into the area. One user calling himself ‘English Frank’ urged attacks on the police, saying: ‘Everyone up and roll to Tottenham f*** the 50 [police]. I hope 1 dead tonight.’ And in a clear incitement to looting, ‘Sonny Twag’ tweeted: ‘Want to roll Tottenham to loot. I do want a free TV. Who wudn’t.’

‘Mrs Lulu’ tweeted: ‘Brehs [men] asking who’s down to roll [go] Tottenham right now, to get justice. – RIP Mark x.’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2023254/Tottenham-riots-North-London-flames-Mark-Duggan-shooting.html

Like a buddy mentioned: in some cultures when a victim of a crime dies the community will have a silent march. In other cultures when a criminal dies because he resisted arrest the community will have a riot.

Demography

Tottenham is a multicultural hotspot with many different ethnic groups inhabiting the area. It is often referred to as a black area because it contains one of the largest and most significant populations of African-Caribbean people. These were among the earliest immigrant groups to settle in the area, starting the UK's Windrush era soon after West African communities - notably the many Ghanaians - begun to migrate into the area. Between 1980 and the present day there has been a slow immigration of Colombians, Albanian, Kurdish, Turkish-Cypriot, Turkish, Somalis, Irish, and Portuguese populations.[citation needed] South Tottenham is reported to be the most ethnically-diverse area in Europe, with up to 300 languages being spoken by its residents.[9]

Tottenham has the highest unemployment rate in London and the 8th highest in the United Kingdom. It therefore has some of the highest poverty rates within the country.[10] There have also been major tensions between the African-Caribbean community and the police since (and before) the 1985 Broadwater Farm riot which stemmed from major issues of racism and police brutality.[11]

Although Tottenham is a cultural center, it has also been one of the main hotspots for gangs and gun crime in the United Kingdom during the past three decades. This followed the rise of gangs and drug wars throughout the area, notably those involving the Tottenham Mandem gang and various gangs from Hackney and all of the areas surrounding Tottenham, and the emergence of an organised crime ring known as the Turkish Mafia was said to have controlled more than 90% of the UK's heroin market.[12][13]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tottenham#Demography

For these people, it is about first loyalty to the existential Us, whether they are right or wrong as defined by an existential Other. The immigrant people are correct. The liberal democratic multicultural state is incorrect and so it burns.

For these people, it is about first loyalty to the existential Us, whether they are right or wrong as defined by an existential Other. The immigrant people are correct. The liberal democratic multicultural state is incorrect and so it burns.

For these people, it is about coming to a country (or being born there) that offers them plenty of opportunity to educate themselves and make a positive contribution to society. Those people then turn down or sabotage all those opportunities and instead emerge themselves in a fantasy world fueled by gangsterrap music and glorification of anything that can be considered anti-western and thus anti-social. I agree with you that it's our unnaturally constructed liberal democratic multicultural society that offers them all the tools to create such an environment for themselves. But the question remains: how come white culture usually stays out of these things and multiculture seems to be the most receptive to these negative impulses? I believe it's more than social-economic circumstances; I believe it's simply the sense of identity these people have.

I disagree with you condoning their behavior and I disagree with your suggestion that these people are right for embracing a gangster identity and lifestyle. Systems don't fail their people, people fail their systems. Politicians need to realize that liberal democracy, like any other government system, needs to be enforced with strict oppression of any form of insurgence.

Once again: I dislike liberal democracy, but I would respect it a lot more if they'd drop the hypocrisy and started laying down the law for everyone.

But the question remains: how come white culture usually stays out of these things and multiculture seems to be the most receptive to these negative impulses? I believe it's more than social-economic circumstances; I believe it's simply the sense of identity these people have.

They are conditioned, because their culture is different. There are exceptions: wiggers, black-slum achievers, etc. Those people were either predisposed to another environment, or they were less socially-aware (of their own culture or identity). A stark majority of European-descended people have a different outlook than "blacks" (or browns, whatever mix they end up being in a multicultural blender). The culture contributes to the conditioning, and the conditioning influences people directly. It is actually that simple; liberals want to rewire us. Research riots in the UK and US. There are a lot more than people realize, and 99% of them occur in multicultural situations like this.

I applaud these horrors because they are each life sized, in person trolls against a delusional system. I do not condemn the existential Other for loyalty to one another or for consistency in their own natural habits. The supposedly Enlightened moron, pretentious Western man, is dangerously out of order for his disregard of selection, fitness and domination in favor of looking benevolent. Nature rewards survival and advancement, caring nothing for, probably even punishing the pursuit of benevolent appearances.

http://violentflashmobs.com/

I applaud these horrors because they are each life sized, in person trolls against a delusional system. I do not condemn the existential Other for loyalty to one another or for consistency in their own natural habits. The supposedly Enlightened moron, pretentious Western man, is dangerously out of order for his disregard of selection, fitness and domination in favor of looking benevolent. Nature rewards survival and advancement, caring nothing for, probably even punishing the pursuit of benevolent appearances.

I remember seeing this. Thank you for finding the source.

I usually don't laugh when I find someone's beliefs to be ridiculous, just roll my eyes...

This made me laugh in the context of what's going on: World Peace is Coming!

Riots continue and are spreading to other areas in London

Keep burning down your own neighborhood. It's gonna be a fun Olympics 2012, London seems ready for such an event.

Hahaha, this bullshit is happening about five minutes away from me.  My Uncle is on the bloody police force, and his squad have apparently just arrested forty people in ten minutes.

This whole story is obviously all a lie. How could social media and diversity do anything but good?

(This clearly sarcastic post was deleted earlier, can I ask why?)

Powell was right. Blame Labour:

01.46 BBC reports an 'eerie calm' falling over Clapham while fightfighters combat a major blaze at Clapham Junction. A Panasonic store in West Ealing is being looted. Reports on LBC Radio tonight of a lad being struck on the head by a brick thrown by a gang of boys approximately 15 years-old. Looting of shops by many dozens of youths continues in Woolwich.

01.41 John McDonnell, Labour MP for Hayes and Harlington, tweets: Reaping what has been sown over 3 decades of creating grotesquely unequal society,with alienated young copying ethos of looting bankers.

Jody McIntyre, the passive-aggressive leftist gimp who rammed his wheelchair into onlooking police officers during the student demonstrations, tweets: "I would suggest young people hit the streets tomorrow with three central demands." His demands include Cameron and Clegg's resignation and the disbanding of the IPCC. And free money for pity's sake!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/8687177/London-riots-live.html

And free money for pity's sake!

Hey - there already is free money handouts from governments. You just have to be an investment bank to be eligible.
Because of the Collapse of 2008 financial reforms, the big investment banks are able to borrow money from the U.S. government at 0 percent interest. Then they can turn around and buy short-term bonds that pay 2 or 3 percent annual interest. Now they’re making 2 percent on whatever they borrowed. They can use leverage to increase this number, by pledging some of the bonds that they’ve already bought as collateral on additional bonds.
http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/philg/2009/10/17/how-wall-street-is-making-its-billions/

I would be interested to see how this event pans out though. Because in amongst the grieving crowds for the dead guy, the looters looking for free McDonald's and TV sets, and the hooligans that just want to watch the world burn, there also appears to be some political activists targeting banks, supermarket depots, and betting shops for arson attacks not looting. And of course, if you run a failing sole trader and owe the banks millions, what better time to torch your own enterprise and claim on the insurance, than in the middle of a riot?

Hahaha, this bullshit is happening about five minutes away from me.  My Uncle is on the bloody police force, and his squad have apparently just arrested forty people in ten minutes.

So why aren't you beating up some degenerates instead of sitting in front of the computer then?

The consensus seems to be that they are mindless hooligans with no agenda at all. And if that's the case then it seems to be more of a threat to the western way of life than if there was some political cause behind the violence. It's a reminder of just what is bubbling under the surface of supposedly civilised cities just waiting for a catalyst.

The consensus seems to be that they are mindless hooligans with no agenda at all. And if that's the case then it seems to be more of a threat to the western way of life than if there was some political cause behind the violence. It's a reminder of just what is bubbling under the surface of supposedly civilised cities just waiting for a catalyst.

^ This.

The lower-primates want to loot stores and break things for their own satisfaction. Then they will play the victims in the future, just wait. Meanwhile, the police are taking it up the ass instead of utilizing bullets!