Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

DLA 2.0

DLA 2.0
August 15, 2011, 12:19:27 PM
Based on something Cargest (means: frilly-eared homosexual in French) said, we need a thread for this.

If the DLA goes 2.0, what should it do?

(1) Does it become a group contribution situation like other blogs?

(2) Does it use fancy new software? No fuckin' PHP please

(3) Does it include more stuff, or less?

Re: DLA 2.0
August 15, 2011, 12:55:54 PM
With regards to 3: whatever you choose, please make it consistent. Right now, a number of B grade bands are included, but only if their material is pre 1996. Either pick up all B+ material, or none of it.

August 15, 2011, 03:12:29 PM
DLA 2.0 is a consolidation of the DLA as it currently is with all related (i.e. Metal/Hessian) material, under one banner, in one website (deathmetal.org?).  Please no "fancy" new software, a text document would be fine but for the fact that it would turn away the uninitiated.

I think there's definitely merit in the idea of group contribution, but it would certainly have to be heavily moderated - everything must be the best.

August 15, 2011, 07:23:38 PM
Should it be mainstreamed so it's more readable?

What bands are we junking? I say keep anything B and above. The C and below stuff is negligible.

I thought that was the whole point of the "Best of" section, for the A material?

August 15, 2011, 08:23:21 PM
Perhaps make the main page similar to this one, so that the first thing users are greeted with is succinct descriptions of the various styles within Extreme Metal, selected examples of the genre, and links to more detailed pages about each genre..  If the primary, more conspicuous part of the site acts as a gateway into the world/history of Extreme Metal, showcasing the best that the past thirty years has to offer, then subsequent sections can go into more detail, and touch upon the good but not wholly significant music which has been created in that time span ("B" and "C" grade).  This would be if one of the main aims of the website were to provide an introductory point for new listeners, which seems to be one of its primary functions now, regardless of whether that's the intention or not.

From this perspective, keep everything that is still deemed worthwhile, but hand pick the cream of the crop for more immediate display.  I've always thought the "alpha" list was a bit odd, as it's nigh on impossible to tell what a band's going to be like judging solely by the name, beyond the fact that it's likely to be Metal.  Listing bands (or even albums, for that matter) by genre, subgenre, "style", concept/theme, or similar categories seems to make more sense.  Nobody I know instantly liked every single one of the bands on the DLA site (and, indeed, there are some up there which I still don't think much of, but haven't listened to enough to be sure of that conclusion) - since it was hard to find out what sounded similar to what, we all stumbled in the dark through these lists of bands which were described in the same amusingly esoteric language but which sounded completely different (and thus either awesome or crap to our undeveloped, biased ears).

Is a new URL going to be required?  If so, how about deathmetalblackmetal.org?

(Beware the 4:25 am post, it's likely to be BULLSHIT).

August 16, 2011, 04:03:22 AM
Here's a tentative suggestion with regards to the A and B categories. Note that it might be easier to do this by album rather than by band.

Black metal:

A:
the top 16, + other albums by these groups. Although as far as I'm concerned, Mutiilation and Havohej have no business being mentioned in the same sentence as Emperor and Immortal, but whatever.

B:
add:
Belenos
Black Funeral
Blut Aus Nord
Dark Tribe
Deathspell Omega (if only for Si Monumentum)
Destroyer 666
Fullmoon
Funeral Mist
Gontyna Kry
Nokturnal Mortum
Vlad Tepes

remove:
Abruptum
Abyss, the
Ancient
Arcturus
Black Goat
Blazemth
Cultus Sanguine
Dark Funeral
Dark Tranquility
Deinonychius
Eucharist (seems more death than black to me)
Grotesque
Inquisition
Katatonia
Marduk
Niden Div 187
NME
Opthalamia
Pervertum
Rescusitator
Summon
Swordmaster
Tha-norr
Throne of Ahaz
Ungod
Urgrund
Usurper
Vilkates

There’s a decent amount of bands that I’m suggesting to cut here that I’ve never actually heard. However, considering how in the past 10 years I have never heard from a single person how any of those are noteworthy, I feel pretty comfortable suggesting their removal. There are also a number of bands that may have some historical purposes, but are terrible (Dark Funeral, Marduk, Arcturus, Abruptum). Maybe there could be a section of Evolutionary Dead-Ends or something. There are also a number of other bands which I think are bad, but which have vehement supporters, hence I think they should probably stay / be included (Conqueror / Black Witchery most notably).

Notable related topics:
http://www.anus.com/metal/hall/index.php/topic,9244.15.html
http://www.anus.com/metal/hall/index.php/topic,9723.0.html

August 16, 2011, 04:04:34 AM
Also, I second not using any fancy new software. Keep the lay-out as clean and simple as possible please.

August 16, 2011, 04:32:13 AM
B:
add:
Belenos
Black Funeral
Blut Aus Nord
Dark Tribe
Destroyer 666
Fullmoon
Funeral Mist
Gontyna Kry
Nokturnal Mortum
Vlad Tepes
The moderators can break this into another thread if they wish, but there is nothing note-worthy about any of these bands. Most of these bands tack of a "gimmick" of their own to the Black Metal sound. There was a time where I had a place for pretty much all of these bands in my collection, but persistent, sustained listening uncovered their lack of depth.

The DLA should pick a canonical collection (no grey areas such as the above), of no more than say 100 of the very best Metal albums, and dedicate itself to uncovering the language, structure, presentation and mythos of each. A simple review as is the current format could easily be expanded upon by the most curious of minds.

If this is a "group" project; then all submissions can be taken for ideas, but the actual writing, presentation and sifting through these ideas etc should be completed by a single individual or a small group for the sake of consistency and quality control.

August 16, 2011, 07:09:43 AM
Don't forget this list:

http://www.anus.com/metal/hall/index.php/topic,3444.0.html

I think we should use the "best of" to flag the As and keep decent Bs, although not Cs like these:

Belenos
Black Funeral
Blut Aus Nord
Dark Tribe
Destroyer 666
Fullmoon
Funeral Mist
Gontyna Kry
Nokturnal Mortum

These should be included:

Vlad Tepes
Black Funeral

I would not remove these:

Abyss, the
Ancient
Cultus Sanguine
Dark Funeral
Dark Tranquility
Deinonychius
Eucharist (seems more death than black to me)
Grotesque
Inquisition
Katatonia
Marduk
Niden Div 187
NME
Opthalamia
Pervertum
Rescusitator
Swordmaster
Tha-norr
Throne of Ahaz
Ungod

They are either good or have a role to play.