Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

ANUS criticism

ANUS criticism
August 07, 2011, 02:24:34 PM
Metal reviews are useless. Political and ideological causes are wastes of time with no hope of success. The majority of metal music will always suck. And at the end of the day I really have no fucking clue what DLA or ANUS stand for. I'm often sarcastic, but on these four points I'm very serious. Thoughts, comments?

Re: ANUS Centralization
August 07, 2011, 07:31:08 PM
Metal reviews are useless. Political and ideological causes are wastes of time with no hope of success. The majority of metal music will always suck. And at the end of the day I really have no fucking clue what DLA or ANUS stand for. I'm often sarcastic, but on these four points I'm very serious. Thoughts, comments?

DLA reviews have been pretty useful to me, probably some others, too. 
Causes have had a lot of success, though probably not many of those which you support.
www.anus.com, in the left-hand sidebar, will point you in the direction of what 'it' stands for.
At the end of the day, what is your point in inserting those four uncharacteristically-concise points?  That anus.com is a total waste?

August 07, 2011, 10:24:51 PM

So what would be your proposition?

August 09, 2011, 05:55:03 PM

DLA reviews have been pretty useful to me, probably some others, too. 
Causes have had a lot of success, though probably not many of those which you support.
www.anus.com, in the left-hand sidebar, will point you in the direction of what 'it' stands for.
At the end of the day, what is your point in inserting those four uncharacteristically-concise points?  That anus.com is a total waste?

The way I view it is that once mainstream attention to metal music dies down (i.e. Deathcore/Melodic Death Metal/ "Progressive" Metal), the bands left in the genre are those who aren't looking to get signed by Nuclear Blast, but bands that are just trying to create something worthwhile. I feel that if the Hessian mindset was better known, those who condemn nu-metal and metalcore for being a mockery of it's metal/punk roots would move from the mainstream death metal and black metal to more of an underground mindset.

More in response to the first post: I'd like to see more about an introduction to Nihilism, or an introduction to hessian metal for newcomers.

August 10, 2011, 10:11:43 AM
Anyone else have an opinion?

August 10, 2011, 04:23:37 PM
There are many types of nihilism, and to really champion one of them and make a real movement out of it on the internet, this is extremely difficult to do. It's extremely difficult, complex and delicate to successfully forward such a profound and unconventional movement. But hold on, let's throw metal into the mix as well. Oh yeah and racial realism, too.

What I want to see is some sort of manifesto or statement explaining why all these things are put together into a single movement and community. I want to understand the connections.

Reviews are nice and all, but they're the kind of thing that can generate high volumes of traffic for a metal website. And practically all metal websites have reviews. What's needed to truly distinguish a metal website is something more, and I don't just mean catching onto the right style and being the 'original hipster' the others follow. Particularly high-quality reviews are arguably a start, but even then all that's being dealt with is the subjective, opinions, there's nothing proprietary or innovative there, and at the end of the day it should be questioned if devoting hours upon hours to writing reviews is really the best use of the time of the website authors. Many metal websites shouldn't be, just like most metal bands shouldn't be, but they all are, and I know the DLA doesn't want to exist just for the sake of managing to exist.

Furthermore, to only cater to a specific niche of metal music preference is extremely limiting and in my opinion elitist in the bad sense of the term. If I had reviews on my website, as much as I'd hate to I'd let other authors contribute high-quality reviews from musical perspectives totally divergent from my own. I recognize that although I'm left hand path (most left-hand pathers have it totally wrong) Christianity ultimately does represent a legitimate spiritual way (most Christians have it totally wrong), just not the way that's for me personally based on my individual dispositions, preferences and abilities.

But most of all if I was running DLA I would have a crucial and well-publicized manifesto, the staff and administration's intentions and plans would be completely transparent, and there would be a *constant* dialogue with the member base in order to never for an instant stop innovating and growing. I would place top priority on surrounding myself and my website with the highest caliber people in order to get all the best possible ideas I might not come up with on my own. And if I don't have time to maintain my website as much as I'd like then I'd find some other people to help out (on an administrative level) with real decision-making; or alternatively I'd inform the member base that the website will be slowing down for the time being until I have more opportunity to work on it.

If the administration doesn't come to us, well for you guys and girls it's up to you but for me I don't intend to devote any more of my time to try and get to them.

August 10, 2011, 04:38:08 PM
Rather than a manifesto, I'd suggest succinct principles (perhaps with further decription).  A manifesto is often too wordy, in my experience.

ANUS criticism
August 11, 2011, 06:57:50 PM
I have not contributed much to the cause admittedly, but I am offering my opinion. Currently, ANUS is stratified and apathetic.

1. ANUS: change the fucking domain name. I don't care if its connected with your philosophy.
2. The connection with Prozac's favourite metal bands is abitrary, really, but most people around here have internalised the choice of bands and the 'necessary' connection of nihilism with metal. They have no perception of the fact that iso many intelligent people who have come to impressive realisations about their place in the world fucking hate metal. No perception, so they can't even begin to conteplate the idea. Work out if you want to be a metal site, or a philosophical/political site.
3. The incessant quibbling over minor theoretical points is intellectual masturbation. specifying what 'active nihilism' is in this way or that is not going to do shit for your cause. Get out into the real world.
4. If you have views which deviate from prozac's (which, again, the 'senior' posters around here follow like little lap dogs) you are associated to 'mental category x' and considered accordingly henceforth. It's not a meritocracy but a 17-24 y.o. boys club who listen to metal and sit behing internet forums saying 'no' to the world because this says 'yes' to their self-congratulating ego which is built upon an amazingly specific worldview. (question: where are the women? answer: not at ANUS, for the most part. This tells you something gentlemen).
5. The philosophy is arbitrary. As you get past your early twenties you realise that the normative side of ANUS is not at all logically entailed by the premises of nihilism but is forcefully connected by dogmatism (refer to the narrative of this dicussion to see this: http://www.anus.com/metal/hall/index.php/topic,13192.msg64774.html#msg64774). Again stop worrying about philosopjhy and do something in the real world. My overarching point is that nothing will flow from trying to establish logiccal links between your politics and 'how the world is'. First of all, because there is no necessary connection. Second of all, no one cares about philosophy any more. No one who doesn't already listen to metal and blow over burzum is going to go 'shit now i see the logical link...i'm going to do this this and this). Corrupt.org was on the right track in distancing itself from philosophical wankery. But it failed because it wasn't connected to metal (point: ANUS worldview is kept alive, emotionally, via metal, not 'clensed perception' of how shit 'really is').

Rather than a manifesto, I'd suggest succinct principles (perhaps with further decription).  A manifesto is often too wordy, in my experience.

Sure, this will do heaps for conserving the envionment and reducing stupidity in politics and metal. Perhaps a font change might be good too?

Ask yourself: What are you doing besides posting updating simply another fucking internet blog?

ANUS criticism
August 11, 2011, 07:40:14 PM
blah

lol

Rather than a manifesto, I'd suggest succinct principles (perhaps with further decription).  A manifesto is often too wordy, in my experience.

Sure, this will od heaps for conserving the envionment and reducing stupidity in politics and metal. Perhaps a font change might be good too?

Only Times New Roman is Real

ANUS criticism
August 12, 2011, 12:21:45 AM

ANUS criticism
August 12, 2011, 04:52:29 PM

I would venture a guess Sidereal is being highly a facetious here. (Just pointing it out in case it escaped any of you.)

Websites come and go. When a website goes, people either remember it as having failed to adapt and ultimately wither away becoming obsolete, or as having lived up to its full potential and opened the door to further evolution beyond it as it passes the torch forwards.

The criticisms seem to have a lot to do with the site apparently not achieving anything.

I think the solution then is not to try and change the method, but to make explicit the goals.

Yes, whether it be a manifesto, a statement of intent or some bullet points (I didn't mean to make a distinction earlier), something like this would be great.

There's a place for really underground websites for the very few who ever care to look, and there's a place for more mainstream websites to branch out with a message in a more mainstream way. Perhaps lots of this confusion about the DLA revolves not around the DLA itself but around which of these two categories the DLA means to be in. The distinction is important, because to appeal to the mainstream you have to dumb things down or at least explain in a much different manner, something you definitely don't want to do if you're only appealing to a specific elite group.

5. The philosophy is arbitrary. As you get past your early twenties you realise that the normative side of ANUS is not at all logically entailed by the premises of nihilism but is forcefully connected by dogmatism

I don't know if there's even any point in bringing this up, but yes I"m certainly forced to agree.

ANUS criticism
August 12, 2011, 06:30:13 PM

FASCITS!!1!

You can't tell me what to do!  I'll use Courier if I like, I'll use Verdana, hell, I might even use Bauhaus!!  How DARE you limit my self-expression!

ANUS criticism
August 12, 2011, 09:03:28 PM
5. The philosophy is arbitrary. As you get past your early twenties you realise that the normative side of ANUS is not at all logically entailed by the premises of nihilism but is forcefully connected by dogmatism

I don't know if there's even any point in bringing this up, but yes I"m certainly forced to agree.

From what I'd gathered, there is a two stage philosophy promoted here, and the second part is -supposed- to be to a degree arbitrary. Active nihilism frees you from whatever assumptions you hold, but noting that at any stage you still need some model to act within. Basically a generalisation of the proper scientific goal - detachment from whatever the truth may be, since otherwise you cannot move beyond whatever stage you are at. So, following the stage of active nihilism we inquire as to what the highest stage of morality we can presently conceive of, or at least translate, and this is the second part, which has a necessarily subjective (and thus arbitrary) nature.

ANUS criticism
August 13, 2011, 01:30:02 AM
First of all,  I'd like to address remarks like these:
most people around here have
Get out into the real world.
 a 17-24 y.o. boys club
get past your early twenties

I keep seeing more and more of such commentary, implying how everyone (well, everyone else, but not the poster himself, naturally) posting on these forums / working on the site is basically just a sad loser who has no idea of 'the REAL world', is living in his mom's basement doing nothing but reading 4chan, etc.. I think this is disrespectful, ignorant of the fact that the people here are quite diverse, narcissistic,  and just all around detrimental to the health of a discussion. Do you really have such self-confidence issues that you need to belitle those of a community you obviously feel connected to (or I assume you woudn't be posting here) just to boost your ego / confirm you are not one of those losers?

1. ANUS: change the fucking domain name. I don't care if its connected with your philosophy.

Outside of the fact that it is not very inviting to people who've never heard of it, it also carries quite the stigma in the rest of the metal community. As much as I hate to say it, if you want to be listened to, fix your tone of voice, since despite the fact that its the message that matters, it will be dismissed if the tone is not to people's liking.(and yes, I realize the irony of posting this after the previous reamrk....I do, however, address more than just tone).

2. The connection with Prozac's favourite metal bands is abitrary, really, but most people around here have internalised the choice of bands and the 'necessary' connection of nihilism with metal. They have no perception of the fact that iso many intelligent people who have come to impressive realisations about their place in the world fucking hate metal. No perception, so they can't even begin to conteplate the idea. Work out if you want to be a metal site, or a philosophical/political site.

I don't see the problem. The site is about nihilism. Metal clearly has a nihilistic aspect. The site makes clear distinction between the 'metal' parts and the 'philosophy' parts, and there's people here who enjoy one but not the other. Splitting the site up into deathmetal.org and amerika would make the gap even larger. Seems fine to me.

3. The incessant quibbling over minor theoretical points is intellectual masturbation. specifying what 'active nihilism' is in this way or that is not going to do shit for your cause. Get out into the real world.

Being precise is not intellectual masturbation. It is deepening your understainding of the subject at hand. It may not have any direct practical consequences, but if you only care about that, why do you care about philosophy at all?

4. If you have views which deviate from prozac's (which, again, the 'senior' posters around here follow like little lap dogs) you are associated to 'mental category x' and considered accordingly henceforth. It's not a meritocracy but a 17-24 y.o. boys club who listen to metal and sit behing internet forums saying 'no' to the world because this says 'yes' to their self-congratulating ego which is built upon an amazingly specific worldview. (question: where are the women? answer: not at ANUS, for the most part. This tells you something gentlemen).

To some extent, there may be some truth in people here being too dismisive of diverging views. Then again, this is in part just you being bitter. Also, saying that there are no women here as if it is meaningful in any way is kind of silly. Could you point me to those other metal or philosophy sites where they hang out instead?

5. The philosophy is arbitrary. As you get past your early twenties you realise that the normative side of ANUS is not at all logically entailed by the premises of nihilism but is forcefully connected by dogmatism (refer to the narrative of this dicussion to see this: http://www.anus.com/metal/hall/index.php/topic,13192.msg64774.html#msg64774). Again stop worrying about philosopjhy and do something in the real world. My overarching point is that nothing will flow from trying to establish logiccal links between your politics and 'how the world is'. First of all, because there is no necessary connection. Second of all, no one cares about philosophy any more. No one who doesn't already listen to metal and blow over burzum is going to go 'shit now i see the logical link...i'm going to do this this and this). Corrupt.org was on the right track in distancing itself from philosophical wankery. But it failed because it wasn't connected to metal (point: ANUS worldview is kept alive, emotionally, via metal, not 'clensed perception' of how shit 'really is').

To some extent, sure, what set of values you pick after nihilism is arbitrary, but the ones picked here, such as nature-worship, holism, anti-individualism, all seem to go hand in hand pretty well, and picking the universe as your model of choice to build a set of ethics on rather than,  for example, the self after applying nihilism is not that far of a stretch.

I don't really understand why you're trying to convince the people on a philosophy site that philosophy is pointless, that no one cares, nor why you are here if you really think so. Also, corrupt didn't fail due to lack of metal, corrupt failed because it turned into a ridiculous blog about alex' roommates, mixed in mainstream ideas that are directly opposed to the ones promoted here just to garner some fans, jumped on the ridiculous 'be more alpha to fix your life'-train, and basically just failed to draw in 'normal people in the real world' while alieanating the ones here by using the same derogatory 'I have a life and the people of the anus forums don't ' mentality that I argued against at the start of this post.

ANUS criticism
August 13, 2011, 02:05:19 AM
Gents, the only thing that this site has achieved in the last twenty years, and ever will achieve in the future is spreading the appreciation of Metal as a viable form of artful expression (that goes far beyond the "evil" and "anger" that the public perception has created).

However, it is not the sole source of this "cause", it is the most organised and influential, but certainly not the only place where I have read about Metal as an abstract art-form.

The focus on here should be on Metal as a language, a dissection of its technique, and an exploration of its structural ingenuity; not a philosophical wank-session that is as sideral put it, arbitrary at best.

This site has not ever achieved anything outside of bringing a new form of celebration of Metal and its origins. Anything else is futile, and will continue to be viewed as nothing but an immature public annoyance. Infoterror, please. What a crock of shit.