Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Respecting Authority and Convention

Respecting Authority and Convention
February 17, 2012, 08:56:33 AM
I usually find myself drawn to ideologies that involve respect towards order. This means that authority and social convention must be respected. However, as I look at myself, I realize that I do not respect authority at all. Additionally, I only follow enough convention so that I do not make life harder than it should be (weirding people out has its consequences, since climbing up the rungs of society involves sucking someone's dick from time to time).

I even believe if I were to live in an "ideal society", I wouldn't respect authority and convention any more than I do now.

Is anyone else like this? If so, do you consider this a negative quality?

Phoenix

Re: Respecting Authority and Convention
February 17, 2012, 04:45:12 PM
Why respect authority? Perhaps in an ideal society this would be a moot question, because there would be no distinction between respect and authority. I respect truth, and I listen to those I respect because I would be foolish not to. I don't think today's authority figures are very wise.

February 19, 2012, 04:57:36 AM
Well then, respect wisdom, and give authority only to the wise.

February 19, 2012, 07:15:10 AM
I even believe if I were to live in an "ideal society", I wouldn't respect authority and convention any more than I do now.
Even if you lived in a society that had a culture and tradition you agreed with 100% you'd still persist with this teenage rebel bullshit? What the fuck? I guess you were just born too hardcore.

If I were you I'd keep these heretical opinions to yourself, humanity isn't ready for someone as intense as yourself yet.

February 19, 2012, 08:27:37 AM
Even if you lived in a society that had a culture and tradition you agreed with 100% you'd still persist with this teenage rebel bullshit? What the fuck? I

I didn't say rebel. I said don't respect. Do you know the differences between the two?

February 19, 2012, 10:20:41 AM
The idea of "thinking for yourself" is bologna.  I don't have time to learn about everything.  Find authorities you trust and trust them.

February 20, 2012, 06:06:13 AM
No one complains about good authority except people who are pathological. People who are pathological don't care if the leaders are good because pathological people want power for themselves.

February 20, 2012, 12:16:19 PM
The idea of "thinking for yourself" is bologna.  I don't have time to learn about everything.  Find authorities you trust and trust them.

Five years ago, I would have been exasperated, disgusted even, by the above. I would have asked, "How could this man be so mindless!?"

But five years ago, I was an arrogant fool.

In time, I realized that only a small remnant of humans are designed to seek truth and wisdom. And furthermore, of that small remnant, only a few are designed to themselves become wise, while the many are designed to trust and follow those few.

Not everyone is meant to walk the path of knowledge and wisdom. Instead, they are meant to walk the path of love and war. Without them, timeless truths and eternal ideals would never be put into practice, would never trickle down into society, into the minds of the mass men.

So you cannot be a saint or sage. No big deal, for you can always be a hero.....

My brethren in war! I love you from the very heart. I am, and was ever, your counterpart. And I am also your best enemy. So let me tell you the truth!

I know the hatred and envy of your hearts. Ye are not great enough not to know of hatred and envy. Then be great enough not to be ashamed of them!

And if ye cannot be saints of knowledge, then, I pray you, be at least its warriors. They are the companions and forerunners of such saintship.

- F. W. Nietzsche

NHA

February 20, 2012, 01:21:54 PM
The idea of "thinking for yourself" is bologna.  
Isn't the very act of picking which authority to trust "thinking for yourself"? Most likely the authorities you pick share the same basic ideas as you or are at least aligned with them in one way or another. "Thinking for yourself" doesn't imply that you can't delegate.

It's also kind of an odd comment from people on this site considering how deviant it is from the mainstream warm fuzzy humanism cult.

Also, I kinda hate how everything turns into a proxy argument for something else (maybe its not the case in this scenario but ill pretend it is just to have an excuse to be an asshole). "I favor collectivism over individualism so I'm going to object to anything that remotely smells individualistic". A good way to trigger this type of bullshit is to start a conversation about operating systems haha.

Living in a society full of mindless sheep who lack any type of personality and need to constantly be told how to think/act/dress/whatever isn't much of a step up from a hyper-individualistic society where every fag on the planet is trying to be special in one retarded way or another. Luckily theres a grey area inbetween where all the douchebags take it down a notch.

February 20, 2012, 02:53:13 PM
Forgive my tendency to over-state things.  It's the Nietzsche in me! 

I was thinking of a radio commercial that runs in my town that says "we here in town X are famous for questioning everything!"  This is the kind of thinking for yourself that goes too far.  What I had in mind was thinking for yourself in this extreme sense.  I call it hyper-skepticism.

Furthermore, it is hard to deny that here in the US, at least in my milieu, the unquestionable dominant paradigm is "think for yourself."  Thus, I overstate my position.  But I think you understand my point anyway.  In between the two extremes is where you want to be, as you say.