Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

ANUS criticism

Re: ANUS criticism
January 24, 2012, 09:41:54 AM
I felt the need to address this:

I understand - the word "nothing" is exaggerated ...
I'm well aware of what you meant by the term nothing.  I was using nothing in the same manner (i.e. to mean for illegitimate, minor, or obscure reasons).  If you (or anybody else for that matter) wishes to address an issue on a certain level, you have to expect answers to come back on the same level.  To use colloquial language or to play fast and loose with terms, then expect precise answers, cannot be justified in the context of this board.

Either you believe you are held to different standards of discourse than the rest, or you were operating under the assumption that I'm completely retarded.  These mistakes should be avoided (by any and all) in the future.

January 25, 2012, 02:52:32 PM
If you (or anybody else for that matter) wishes to address an issue on a certain level, you have to expect answers to come back on the same level.  To use colloquial language or to play fast and loose with terms, then expect precise answers, cannot be justified in the context of this board.

This is a good point.

Many times, people are afraid of going "full geek" ("precise answers" from above) but it saves us a lot of trouble. Define your terms, be clear, and make a cognizable argument.

I know I'm the worst offender here and will try to mend my evil ways.

January 25, 2012, 06:20:27 PM
I'm just going to sticky this.

This forum gets  neurotic every now and then because:
 (a) People are freaked out at being socially unacceptable
 (b) We rapidly accumulate critics who are afraid we're right
 (c) Aspie, autist, INTJ, nerd, etc. behavior
 (d) Many people are escaping from Crowdist illusion and unsure of how to proceed
 (e) Some of the stuff we talk about is not easy and causes self-doubt

As a result, we need a place for people to hash out their fears, criticisms, etc.

This is an appropriate place.

In every thread, or off-topic in any other thread, is not.

Put your concerns here, and we will address them. It's pretty much no-holds-barred except for unproductive behavior, whether pro or con.

Also, useful (and realistic) suggestions would be appreciated!

See also:

* Toxic attitudes
* Antisocials and hippies

yesterday was probably the strangest day of my life. I got high and sat at the computer for a bit then a genius idea came to me... to go see a psychic. I tracked down a couple in my area using google maps and went to the first one. Not fully satisfied with what she said which seemed more like cold reading than anything, I went to another one, and 4 more, finishing off more doobies as I went along. I don't care what's in store for the future, I was looking to see if any of these people could say something REALLY specific that they couldn't have known, possibly something I haven't told anyone before. open up new paradigms. well, no luck. 

I'm jealous of you. My jailbait topic was deleted, yet, this one remains.

yesterday was probably the strangest day of my life. I got high and sat at the computer for a bit then a genius idea came to me... to go see a psychic. I tracked down a couple in my area using google maps and went to the first one. Not fully satisfied with what she said which seemed more like cold reading than anything, I went to another one, and 4 more, finishing off more doobies as I went along. I don't care what's in store for the future, I was looking to see if any of these people could say something REALLY specific that they couldn't have known, possibly something I haven't told anyone before. open up new paradigms. well, no luck. 

Anyone who behaves like this, has such a chaotic jumble of a life, that it could go anywhere, at any moment.
No wonder nobody can - for any price - make any sense of it.
To have a life that can be seen to be 'going somewhere specific', one must first 'have a life'.
The moral of this story?
"Get a life!" (:>

February 18, 2012, 04:06:27 PM
Not criticism, but an alternate view (that I do not agree with, but think is important to know): http://civilization-overview.com/home

Phoenix

Anyone who behaves like this, has such a chaotic jumble of a life, that it could go anywhere, at any moment.
To have a life that can be seen to be 'going somewhere specific', one must first 'have a life'.
The moral of this story?

Editor's note: The post about getting high and visiting psychics was a separate thread, then it got merged with this criticism thread. Obviously in an attempt to ridicule this criticism thread. That being said, nice reply crow, I think it's good advice.

The moral of this story?

It wasn't so much about the direction of life, love, money, luck. I just  wanted them to mention something specific. I have come across people on other forums who said they visited psychics who knew highly specific information they couldn't possibly have guessed through cold reading  or tracked down somehow. The extent of my knowledge of psychics is Carl Jung's works on the occult. When I am high I typically think about naturalism a LOT and sometimes get anxious over the limitations of it. this strain of weed pushed me over the edge. How much would it rattle one's mind and life of accumulated knowledge to discover something as esoteric. If  a psychic points to specific shit in your past, chances are they aren't bullshitting about the future, which means ther is a chance all of life is planned. 

February 20, 2012, 06:09:55 AM
That's interesting, but you probably want to be very specific about the psychics you pick or you'll get Gypsies who steal your $300 and tell you bullshit that keeps tourists amused.

February 20, 2012, 05:18:31 PM
That's interesting, but you probably want to be very specific about the psychics you pick or you'll get Gypsies who steal your $300 and tell you bullshit that keeps tourists amused.

yeah, I was blitzed and not following logic but even in a normal state of mind but there is no way to know which are the fakes and I really don't know where to start looking for a legit one. The difficulty is that I don't even know if they exist.  Some might be popular simply because they're good at persuasion. Lots have websites with probably fake testimonials. A lot of people are just learning cold reading from the internet and trying to monetize it. I stayed away from the downtown psychics because they cater to tourists and went to mostly dingy parts of town.

February 20, 2012, 07:39:40 PM
Psychics are obviously rubbish, as with the whole new age movement being based in a non-physical reality. I wouldn't rule out Astrology (including hindu jyotisha) as some of it surely derives from reality embedded in the language of symbols, and commonly understood by pagan traditions who tried to interpret signs in nature or how environmental dynamics could unconsciously influence the individual/society i.e. the roman priests (augur) who observed the flight of birds.

February 21, 2012, 06:27:31 AM
I have no idea how to find a qualified psychic either. I would start with the police departments, who sometimes use them as advisors in locating missing kids and stuff. That makes sense because if I were a psychic I think I'd want a fulfilling job of some kind.