Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

ANUS criticism

ANUS criticism
August 13, 2011, 03:31:20 AM
Only Times New Roman is Real

FASCITS!!1!

You can't tell me what to do!  I'll use Courier if I like, I'll use Verdana, hell, I might even use Bauhaus!!  How DARE you limit my self-expression!

Bloody liberals.  We all know that, following this train of thought, you'll just end up devolving into Comic Sans!

ANUS criticism
August 13, 2011, 07:24:31 AM
Gents, the only thing that this site has achieved in the last twenty years, and ever will achieve in the future is spreading the appreciation of Metal as a viable form of artful expression (that goes far beyond the "evil" and "anger" that the public perception has created).

However, it is not the sole source of this "cause", it is the most organised and influential, but certainly not the only place where I have read about Metal as an abstract art-form.

The focus on here should be on Metal as a language, a dissection of its technique, and an exploration of its structural ingenuity; not a philosophical wank-session that is as sideral put it, arbitrary at best.

This site has not ever achieved anything outside of bringing a new form of celebration of Metal and its origins. Anything else is futile, and will continue to be viewed as nothing but an immature public annoyance. Infoterror, please. What a crock of shit.

I disagree. This site has made a big impact on my thinking and my ethical viewpoints. I don't think I'm alone in that.

ANUS criticism
August 13, 2011, 01:13:50 PM
You certainly aren't.  The basis of my current "philosophy" lies in ANUS, as much as I may have diverged from whatever might be considered canonical around these parts.

ANUS criticism
August 14, 2011, 06:58:29 AM
I also believe that what we are achieving here is also that those who just listen to metal for "groove" and etc, we stand up for something in the music that those ordinary jokers can not fathom. It amazes me they try to tell us that we are wrong for believing metal music for having a soul. BAH! Death to them I say! They are weak, and we are strong!

ANUS criticism
August 14, 2011, 07:13:16 PM
The focus on here should be on Metal as a language, a dissection of its technique, and an exploration of its structural ingenuity;

I didn't want this to get lost in the confusion over the rest.

I think the focus here should be on metal as an artistic and cultural movement; the above are aspects of that.

ANUS is however two sites, which is the endless confusion: (1) a political/philosophical site and (2) a metal site.

that's why the separation must occur

ANUS criticism
August 14, 2011, 09:06:09 PM
My points were simply (you can dismiss them if you like, ponder over 'why' or 'who'... or, in scientific fashion, determine whether they have any utility):

Paradoxical:

Your obsession with extreme metal being associated with philosophy alienates thinkers who might be on the same page as you but who naturally don't like extreme metal.
Your very specific philosophy alienates many people who like metal (even the same stuff as you).

Stagnant:

You are a specific group of people who like a certain collection of metal bands and a very specific philosophy. This is like having a group of people who like a certain group of prog rock bands, and 19th century liberalism, for instance. Very specific, limiting and bound never to grow.

Dishonest:

The 'gist' of this site as though a certain table of values stem naturally from a clear perception of 'what is' is, as Nietzsche pointed out, dishonest and, according to him, weak. To present ol'  race based nationalism - and localism, eugenics etc - as somehow naturally dawning on people who have gone through a zen like 'awakening' via nihilism is absurd, and is transparently so. This is the political philosophy of ONE individual (Prozak) from southern America which people have internalized as the 'Truth', or as ethics following the 'image of the universe'.. which, when premised by 'nihilism', is so amazingly absurd (logically). It sometimes reads like a christian forum with people clamoring to defend the Word with naturally sub-par arguments because they do not think for themselves. The philosophy could never exist on its own because as it suffers from the same ills that all philosophical 'systems' encounter. It requires the emotional impetus of black metal to validate its premises and the conclusions that apparently follow. Without the emotional force of some very intense music this site would just be another right wing political blog (if you were to get past the philosophy which, while informative on its own, is supposed to support the mostly right-wing normative/political tenants). It would be interesting (this isn't primarily an attack on prozak's efforts), but it wouldn't have the emotional validation which is essential in gaining followers for any movement which attempts philosophically or theologically to instill a set of 'oughts' from a particular theory of 'is'.

Thanks

ANUS criticism
August 15, 2011, 12:06:23 AM
I don't think anyone here would argue with you that nihilism is a gateway and  that every political philosophy needs, as you put it, an emotional impetus to validate it (or a set of axiomatic ethical starting points, if you will). I'm sure there are some places where this is mentioned on the site.

In a sense, I agree with you that in the last, say, 5 years or so, the focus has shifted more from nihilism to right-wing politics. However, both are still there. What exactly would you prefer as an improvement of the site? That the (semi-)arbitrariness of the political system of choice is emphasised more? That this choice not be made here at all and is left as a personal choice? That ANUS be split up into 3 sites (philosophical / political / metal) instead of 2?

ANUS criticism
August 15, 2011, 01:30:49 AM
The 'gist' of this site as though a certain table of values stem naturally from a clear perception of 'what is' is, as Nietzsche pointed out, dishonest and, according to him, weak.

Now we're just getting into stupidity. If Nietzsche believed that, he would not have written any of his works.

You sound like another person who is offended by one of several hundred points made by the political section of the site, so you're throwing a tantrum until everyone is cowed into agreeing with your liberal worldview.

ANUS criticism
August 15, 2011, 04:19:09 AM
He doesn't seem liberal, just uninterested in the "political" bollocks (which doesn't particularly matter to me, either, but I'm not about to go and throw a hissy fit about you guys being all political and shit because I'm a pansy liberal libertarian etc.).

Even though my entrance to the DLA was largely through the main ANUS site, I'm much more supportive of the Metal side of ANUS, so if any split is going to occur, send me a list of jobs to do re sorting out the Metal aspect of what is to come.  We seem to have been largely successful with the addition of old articles to Amerika, but I haven't seen anything being done about DLA 2.0.

ANUS criticism
August 15, 2011, 07:24:29 PM
He doesn't seem liberal

He's freaking out over liberal hot button issues. Either liberal, or brainwashed into thinking liberal is normal, which is a dangerous place to be.

ANUS criticism
August 15, 2011, 08:00:58 PM
You sound like another person who is offended by one of several hundred points made by the political section of the site, so you're throwing a tantrum until everyone is cowed into agreeing with your liberal worldview.

I'm not offended by political assertions on an emotional 'liberal' level. So put away your pretensions of being the big bad scary internet bogey monster who, embracing 'the dark side', sends moderates fleeing back to their cappuccinos. If there is any offense it is on an intellectual level: The idea that you can logically derive political oughts from an 'accurate' perception of 'what is' which only you guys have. If you can't handle people disagreeing with you over fundamental issues, then close the forum completely and just rant at people via a blog. For It is so fucking lame when you do not address arguments/views on the their own level but simply hypothesize the same old tired liberal motivation behind what ever/who ever you don't agree with and go after this like a rabid attack dog. Again this points to dogmatism/anti-intellectualism and not philosophy, because the logical component of arguments is not the primary focus.

The 'gist' of this site as though a certain table of values stem naturally from a clear perception of 'what is' is, as Nietzsche pointed out, dishonest and, according to him, weak.

Now we're just getting into stupidity. If Nietzsche believed that, he would not have written any of his works.

let me pursue my 'stupidity' then. Nietzsche wrote his works, but he didn't try to convince you via an elaborate philosophical system beginning with an ontology which moves to logically derive normative principles from this ontology, so much as simply motivating you via the force and beauty of his language (if you don't believe this consider why he choose to write aphorisms rather than 'serious' philosophy a la Kant etc). Anyway, we don't have to argue about the esoterics of his approach, for he had the courage to *explicitly state* in numerous spots in numerous works that his normative views were arbitrary (not relative), simply a reflexive reflection of his position in the field of life. Honesty was a sign of intellectual and (thus) ultimately physiological hygiene for Nietzsche.

"Our ideas, our values, our affirmations and denials, our if's and but's—these rather grow out of us from the same necessity which makes a tree bear its fruit—totally related and interlinked amongst each other, witnesses of one will, one health, one soil, one sun." (Genealogy of Morals, Prologue, section II)

ANUS will never attract more capital because it is simply a pretty normal, non-sophisticated right-wing political blog (aside from Prozak) which is primarily into rattling its political views as the only option to people who have gone through any serious reflection of the world.

He doesn't seem liberal

He's freaking out over liberal hot button issues. Either liberal, or brainwashed into thinking liberal is normal, which is a dangerous place to be.

Thank you for this obviously in depth and penetrating psychoanalysis over an internet forum, who ever you are. You have absolutely no credible access to my political views, and so your beliefs on the matter are epistemically unjustified. To assert that someone is 'brainwashed' because they don't agree with you is EXACTLY what i'm on about. Exactly. For all you know I could have been a right-winger who as arrived via rational reflection to left-wing politics. But, I assume, you think this is IMPOSSIBLE because you think your views are the only logical outcome of any serious rational reflective process. Amazingly illustrative. Learn from this people.

ANUS criticism
August 15, 2011, 08:29:06 PM
I don't see what's so confused about the Philosophies espoused by this website.  It all seems pretty logical, to me - what you're taught is wrong, burn that crap out of your mind and start again, following Nature/History/Instinct as necessary.  Surely this is the "active Nihilism" that Nietzsche suggested to be a good idea?  Engage in your environment, learn how it works (note: not "should work"), and adjust accordingly (and constantly).

ANUS criticism
August 15, 2011, 08:43:11 PM
I don't see what's so confused about the Philosophies espoused by this website.  It all seems pretty logical, to me - what you're taught is wrong, burn that crap out of your mind and start again, following Nature/History/Instinct as necessary.  Surely this is the "active Nihilism" that Nietzsche suggested to be a good idea?  Engage in your environment, learn how it works (note: not "should work"), and adjust accordingly (and constantly).

No, your right! this is just sane inquiry (or more specifically empiricist inquiry which is concerned with bypassing innate conceptual cul de sacs). This is what any good intellectual will do. But anyone around here who might have done this BUT DOES NOT COME TO THE SAME political conclusions, is the subject of raving psychoanalysis identifying 'liberal' emotional limitations on their abilities.

So: is this a site for nihilism (serious reflection on the world) or is it a site for only right-wing politics (generally speaking)?

I know i'm going on about this a lot, I think i've expressed my point now. Hopefully it (rather than its supposed underlying psychology) will be addressed and I won't have to keep doing it

ANUS criticism
August 15, 2011, 08:52:59 PM
I don't think anyone here would argue with you that nihilism is a gateway and  that every political philosophy needs, as you put it, an emotional impetus to validate it (or a set of axiomatic ethical starting points, if you will). I'm sure there are some places where this is mentioned on the site.

In a sense, I agree with you that in the last, say, 5 years or so, the focus has shifted more from nihilism to right-wing politics. However, both are still there. What exactly would you prefer as an improvement of the site? That the (semi-)arbitrariness of the political system of choice is emphasised more? That this choice not be made here at all and is left as a personal choice? That ANUS be split up into 3 sites (philosophical / political / metal) instead of 2?

I would say split into 3

1. Nihilism: Naturalism: Evolutionary/holistic understanding of humanity: Morality as simply a reflexive position of one's position in the whole, or what organism they are ;) etc
2. Metal: The metal i have found at ANUS has been amazing. I think the 'trolling' approach has its limitations though. Could benefit from a more mature defense of this great music than teenage flaming.
3. Politics:

This way, you will bring in people who are nihilists or appreciators of the phrasal approach of old school death/black metal but who don't espouse the same politics. You might foster a bigger a quite cool community that way. Imagine the political discussions on the politics site! But yes, you would have to live with a bit of diversity ('but no... look at my furrows of worry.. i feel threatened by  people who are not like me, no no wait wait i mean "diversity is failure"').  And this could be blasphemy to some who are convinced they are 'nihilistic warriors' doing heaps for 'the' cause (as if nihilism naturally led to one plan of action) by sitting behind an internet blog.

ANUS criticism
August 15, 2011, 09:03:27 PM
But that could be blasphemy to some who are convinced they are 'nihilistic warriors' doing heaps for 'the cause' by sitting behind an internet blog.

Nobody is like this.  This is the biggest myth about this place: that the users have no lives, live in basements, married to hand, etc. etc.

I don't think you can simultaneously be that person and understand/value the ideals suggested by Metal/this website.