Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

ANUS criticism

Re: ANUS criticism
January 21, 2012, 02:37:26 PM
Conservationist, a question is not an accusation....

the reason is a member named sidereal said so, correct me if i'm wrong.

January 21, 2012, 02:55:20 PM
the reason is a member named sidereal said so, correct me if i'm wrong.

Where is this? We should clarify everything before proceeding.

Really? I didn't join the forum for years because it was a circlejerk of idiots around a nucleus of good ideas. A couple of recent good threads were the impetus for me to post. What is being taken so seriously? The world in general? That's always been true.

Good point. It seems to me people object to us taking life seriously and not being "hey man, it's all cool" like every other website out there.

No, not every opinion is valid. So what? We can all deal with that, right?

When was the last time you saw someone laugh on these forums? The whole place is a progenitor and promoter of the very things it claims to despise but in actuality manifests in numerous ways.

That's what people said... back in 1996.

People hate change and they hate anything more than what's convenient for them.

What's convenient for them is a place where they can show up,  blather on about stupid crap, and have people be like HAY MAN ME T00.

This is a place for people who've gotten past that stage. I think many people read way too much into it.

The site =/= the forum posters.

The image =/= the reality.

As always, read the official posts and read all of them. There's more learning there than you're going to find kicking around the forum looking for bad examples to abuse.

January 21, 2012, 03:24:44 PM
You don't know? It's written in "sadly, our science is bullshit"

January 21, 2012, 03:33:44 PM
Really? I didn't join the forum for years because it was a circlejerk of idiots around a nucleus of good ideas.

Reply to you both - Yes. I know this, Conservationist. Well, I didn't understand that equal-divide-equal internet meme. Hmm.

The thing is, I always thought forums of all kinds were the enemy irregardless of what is being said. Social media produces social people... y'know, the salt of the earth types. Have you ever read Ellul, McLuhan, or Adorno? This is not conducive to an excellent mythic metal mindframe.

Ah, "whiny and pompous" was too harsh - the internet doesn't allow subtlety; another reason to stay away from forums! - I just think the place could potentially be so much the better for disposing of certain non-metal material and just being a place of metal excellence without all the, in my view, worn out social commentary which we all know regardless anyway. Let the music speak for itself. This is why I like deathmetal.org about one hundred times better.

I always thought Anus is a place that retards people in their own intellectual development to be frank. But thats why I don't post here, hehe. Seriously though, I really do appreciate all those experiences from the metal you guys have recommended.

Nonetheless, this is what I mean: Anus dishes out criticism that it cannot take itself, hence, why I cannot in good conscience like such a place. I get the feeling it goes round in circles too. And that it's followers carry a withering sickly malice against the rotten world that caged them, but they seek to disguise its own motives and lack of adventurous nature in metaphysical words like transcendence and so forth, rather than pervading the cack-expanse of their own emotional wasteland they find themselves in. Value is null, words are null, and they cover up an acute horror. And the way this place tosses around the word nihilism like its a plaything strongly aggravates my philosophical-emotional senses, especially considering how important a concept I find it according to whatever I've learned or experienced in life; which isn't much but perhaps I've seen something of it... because nihilism in practice can be a horrible thing, and if people really knew of its consequences they would fall silent, stricken, and could and would not speak of it to anyone.

Oh if only you knew. You'd weep.

"But suddenly the Mirror went altogether dark, as dark as if a hole had been opened in the world of sight. . . In the abyss there appeared a single Eye that slowly grew, until it filled nearly all the Mirror. So terrible was it that Frodo stood rooted, unable to cry out or to withdraw his gaze. The Eye was rimmed with fire, but was itself glazed, yellow as a cat's, watchful and intent, and the black slit of its pupil opened on a pit, a window into nothing."

– The Mirror of Galadriel, The Lord of the Rings

January 21, 2012, 04:56:52 PM
I agree with you and mostly see it your way 20145689, except the assertion that no one is prepared to take criticism. That should be reason to post though, not to leave. Is it fair to say you owe a small debt to this place? Then play your part, say something, start something. Not for its own sake, of course, but towards something of merit. I promise to try and contribute positively if anyone does. There is no shortage of posters who will do similarly, even if it takes a long time for a discussion to get rolling.

If I weigh what I have learned from browsing this forum against the problems evident here, the former wins out by a large margin. Large enough for me at least. There are many posts that are footnotes to threads that were incredibly worthy and valuable to me, but I never expressed this. I assume the contributor may be disincentivized from any further good work now.

January 21, 2012, 05:37:04 PM
You don't know? It's written in "sadly, our science is bullshit"

This forum is dissapointing. You get booted off if you show that a senior poster is being stupid. I posted a very valid response to Conservationist about the misguided direction of his railing against science by using this parituclar 'bad' study as an exampe. I wrote that, if one cared to look, the study was very forthright about possible correlating factors which were or were not ruled out, as opposed to what was claimed by the opening poster. In other words, the study is what it is, humble and non-interesting, but not foolish, and definitely not something to hold up and say 'look people, modern science is all shit'.

If you stay within the lines of new right ideology, including the idea that science is lost and modern scientists are dum-asses, you can argue, if not, your booted. This isn't a nihilist forum but a new right forum, plain and simple. If it were a nihilist forum, 'bad' arguments would be attacked, not cencored. Would people prefer a world where we don't know which food gives you cancer?

No doubt this will go soon too.

How interesting. We have only his word for it that he was banned for "no reason" and not for something else he did.

I suppose he is giving us permission to release logs? He won't like the results there.

I didn't understand that equal-divide-equal internet meme.

Shorthand for "not equal."

I always thought forums of all kinds were the enemy irregardless of what is being said. Social media produces social people.

I prefer to attack content instead of making assumptions. McLuhan is a charlatan, as is Adorno.

Let the music speak for itself. This is why I like deathmetal.org about one hundred times better.

Then post no words about it!

Anus dishes out criticism that it cannot take itself, hence, why I cannot in good conscience like such a place. I get the feeling it goes round in circles too. And that it's followers carry a withering sickly malice against the rotten world that caged them, but they seek to disguise its own motives and lack of adventurous nature in metaphysical words like transcendence and so forth, rather than pervading the cack-expanse of their own emotional wasteland they find themselves in. Value is null, words are null, and they cover up an acute horror. And the way this place tosses around the word nihilism like its a plaything strongly aggravates my philosophical-emotional senses, especially considering how important a concept I find it according to whatever I've learned or experienced in life; which isn't much but perhaps I've seen something of it... because nihilism in practice can be a horrible thing, and if people really knew of its consequences they would fall silent, stricken, and could and would not speak of it to anyone.

And you have no basis for these accusations, which occur in a thread for criticism, in which we're looking for something substantive.

Either post something real, or you're the disease you claim we have.

I agree with you and mostly see it your way 20145689, except the assertion that no one is prepared to take criticism. There are many posts that are footnotes to threads that were incredibly worthy and valuable to me, but I never expressed this. I assume the contributor may be disincentivized from any further good work now.

Exactly.

There's another consistent thing:

None of our critics have contributed a goddamn thing.

January 21, 2012, 08:34:31 PM
We have only his words because you did not bother to speak otherwise... trying to generate posts? Speak up

January 21, 2012, 09:09:07 PM
Why the fuck does anyone care either way? Drama queens

Re: Did a guy just get kicked out for nothing?
January 21, 2012, 09:36:05 PM
Did a guy get kicked out for nothing?
People don't get kicked out of places for nothing.  I mean, it may happen, but it is incredibly rare and usually accidental.  I think one can make an educated inference from Conservationist's post as to what happened.

People need to stop playing victim.

January 21, 2012, 09:55:33 PM
Everyone comes out of the fucking woodwork all at once for the drama.

NEWSFLASH:

Sometimes, something you like isn't perfect and people you interact with have irritating idiosyncrasies. There isn't anything worth fighting over, here. Someone said something that you thought was dumb. Big fucking deal. This is forum drama identical to all other forum drama. There's a better way to spend your time.

January 21, 2012, 09:55:58 PM
I understand - the word "nothing" is exaggerated therefore it's an accusation - if it were said "did a guy get kicked for 'reason x' " then it would be acceptable.

Anyway, forget that.

Iron: I don't care about your opinion

January 21, 2012, 10:11:32 PM
Iron: I don't care about your opinion

What do you care about? What some moderators on an obscure forum do?

I got banned from this forum once for pushing a point that people weren't interested in. I made a big deal out of it. In retrospect, it was stupid of me to push so insistently on what was ultimately a peripheral issue.

A lot of the underlying angst that builds up in this forum, spills over into the comment sections, etc, seems to have to do with people having unrealistic expectations about what is going on here. ANUS itself is not perfect, and it's natural that the forum is going to amplify those flaws. But you're all here for a reason. You recognize that there's something important going on here, even if it isn't fully realized or articulated in exactly the way you'd like it to be. You can either work with it or do your own thing. At least Transcix went and built his own website.

January 21, 2012, 11:02:33 PM
It's not nothing, and perfection is something you strive for. It's obviously not nothing, otherwise this thread wouldn't exist. Lethel also has a fair degree of work invested in related efforts, if a problem is perceived there's always something there. Even if it is a misunderstanding.

Your position cannot be argued against.

January 21, 2012, 11:05:45 PM
the word "nothing" is exaggerated

Not on a nihilist website's forum, it isn't.

Phoenix

January 22, 2012, 02:33:55 AM
Furthermore I believe the DLA, while having done metal a great service, has simultaneously done metal a significant disservice, in the way it melds together high-level metal discourse and concepts that aren't innately metal-related such as nationalism, nihilism, etc.

WRONG, these show up in metal.

What I meant--and I should have been clearer--is that as the leading platform for high-level metal discourse, the DLA constricts the discourse to a handful of minority viewpoints and severely rejects the rest. As I said though it's odd, unfortunate and certainly not the DLA's fault that no other metal websites arose in counterbalance.

Thanks for the advertisement for your website however.

I was asked about my views on metal, and I think it's understandable that they would be well-expressed in my metal website's statement of belief. By the way when you noticed the text I posted recently received no replies and suggested I should just post an excerpt and link to the source rather than posting the whole thing because too many thick paragraphs can be intimidating, for the record the only reason I didn't link back to my website blog is because I try to avoid prostituting my website (I think a link in my sig is appropriate but let me know if you disagree and I'll be happy to remove it).

None of our critics have contributed a goddamn thing.

First of all, I never expressed my criticisms for my own sake because it gave me some sort of satisfaction. Second of all, are you honestly saying none of your contributing members have made suggestions about the website? Third of all, so what if your critics haven't contributed anything, valid criticism should stand on its own merits, be accepted or rejected based on the logic of its argument, and not be more or less persuasive depending on the status of the person proposing it (unless experience offers insight into certain inner workings--which becomes a matter of the logic of its argument--but still this is only a possible variable not a necessary one).

If then, as your reply suggests, it offends you that your critics haven't contributed anything, may I suggest to refrain from PMing them encouragement to keep up their devil's advocacy, to refrain from creating threads dedicated to asking them to elaborate further, and to, simply, PM them and instruct them in a calm and civilized manner to stop expressing so much criticism (if only because you feel like it's an unproductive distraction).