Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

A-list metal

Re: A-list metal
August 23, 2011, 04:07:51 PM
Heavy: Manilla Road (give Crystal Logic a listen already)

Agreed.

Is this list going to be updated or altered any time soon?  Is anything going to be done with it?

August 23, 2011, 08:20:01 PM
Shouldn't there be an official DLA review for Prong's "Beg to Differ" given that it's referred to as the band's "opus" on their page?
"The traveler with empty pockets will sing in the thief 's face." - Juvenal

"We cannot change anything until we accept it. Condemnation does not liberate, it oppresses." - Carl Jung

"Time spent with cats is never wasted." - Sigmund Freud

August 24, 2011, 03:55:15 AM
Atheist!!!!! 

August 25, 2011, 01:45:10 PM
I should have been more descriptive, I cast my vote (yay!!!1) for  Gorguts, Mercyful Fate, and Deeds of Flesh as well.  Maybe replace Sentenced with Atheist.  Consider Cadaver-Hallucinating Anxiety.

Therion has never done too much for me and I haven't given Ildjarn or Sacramentum a scrutinizing listen

August 26, 2011, 03:31:59 AM
Is there any other rank of metal or do you guys all consider everything on the A list to be equal?

August 26, 2011, 10:59:45 AM
Nothing is equal, but, at the same time, everything is in constant flux.  Some albums are now better than other albums which used to be superior. Anicca, etc.

August 26, 2011, 04:35:06 PM
"METALCORE

* Neurosis
* Human Remains
* Today is the Day
* Discordance Axis

POST-INDIE

* Jesu"

Which albums are we talking about here?
Also Power Metal:
*Blind Guardian
*Crimson Glory
*Hammers of Misfortune
*Stratovarius
*Iced Earth
*Cirith Ungol
*Helloween
*Manowar
*Fates Warning
*Angra
*Lost Horizon
*Pagan's mind
*Running wild

Why not making an A list (Sentenced) and a Triple A (Burzum) list?

August 26, 2011, 06:26:53 PM
Of course the personal taste of members varies widely as well. These lists were more compiled as a middle ground for people to agree on.
No.

Having reviewed the thread, baby Jesus is most definitely weeping at this point.

August 26, 2011, 07:01:31 PM
Is there any other rank of metal or do you guys all consider everything on the A list to be equal?

I don't. A list is a cutoff: anything above this point is metal that I would recommend to:

* A literate musical listener of any genre(s)
* A classical listener
* A teacher
* A journalist
* An intelligent person
* Any Hessian with IQ over 110

Also Power Metal:

I know nothing about power metal except Helstar, of course. I think it should go into speed metal, since it's essentially speed metal with heavy metal vocals and some black/death technique, but that's not unique -- every post-black/death genre incorporates black/death technique.

August 26, 2011, 07:46:45 PM
Why not making an A list (Sentenced) and a Triple A (Burzum) list?

We do. We just call the AAA list A and the A list B.

August 27, 2011, 02:55:27 PM
I don't think this should become a jihad to eliminate "inferior" bands. Sentenced is fucking great, for example.

Here are some useful categories:

1. HISTORICAL

1983-1994 were the years of the growth of a genre. We should document it, all of it.

2. BEST OF

The easy test: would you recommend this to an intelligent non-metalhead? The answer is probably true for about 40 bands.

3. AESTHETICS

Are Venom and Mordred important? Yes, historically and in the development of aesthetic.

4. GUILTY PLEASURES

Can I "prove" to you that Von is any good? Who cares...

5. TECHNICAL MERIT

Cynic may be homosexuals who later made a turd of a second album, but their first album is hard to ignore. It's an attempt to apply technical knowledge to metal.

6. POPULARITY

Yes, fuck-me-in-the-ass-with-a-Honda, this is important. ARE YOU TALKIN TO ME? are execrable crap, but they defined much of the history to follow and much of what bands in that time reacted to, whether positively or negatively.

###

We could say that 3, 5 and 6 are subsets of 1

I think it would be a real mistake to confuse 2 and 4, but most average idiots assume we're doing that anyone. (VON probably belongs in the history section as well...)

August 29, 2011, 01:25:30 AM
Perhaps we can use this thread to flesh out a list for use on DeathMetal.org?
Impale the Under-120's!

I've always enjoyed a little male bondage every now and then.
I like missionary because it allows me to watch her face as I strangle her.

September 12, 2011, 06:22:40 AM
Nox Intempesta is incredible. I think they should be included.

September 12, 2011, 03:12:06 PM
ICP is incredible.  I think they should be included.

September 12, 2011, 03:24:11 PM
I didnt think I would need to explain my statment. Yours on the other hand...

Really though, What are your opinion on them? Im pretty bad at describing why I find a band good withouth just talking about the surface of the music.