Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

A-list metal

Re: A-list metal
September 13, 2011, 02:14:56 AM

September 13, 2011, 09:26:06 AM
I didnt think I would need to explain my statment. Yours on the other hand...

I think I was suggesting that what one may or may not "think" doesn't really come into it.  To reopen a can of worms, I like Cradle of Filth's early/mid-era stuff, but I'd never argue for their inclusion in a list of the very best Metal ever.  Granted, Nox Intempesta are better than Cradle of Filth, but are they as good as Burzhem or Emporoth?

September 13, 2011, 12:49:46 PM
I didnt think I would need to explain my statment. Yours on the other hand...

I think I was suggesting that what one may or may not "think" doesn't really come into it.  To reopen a can of worms, I like Cradle of Filth's early/mid-era stuff, but I'd never argue for their inclusion in a list of the very best Metal ever.  Granted, Nox Intempesta are better than Cradle of Filth, but are they as good as Burzhem or Emporoth?

If we think in Death metal, there are a pretty big amount of bands/ albums that are similar or equals in terms of (very high= A) quality, but in Black Metal there are a handful of bands/ albums that configure an unreachable elite that considered as "A" would result in a very short list, maybe just 6- 8 out of the initial list. Nox intempesta are not as good as...whatever, but are better than others already listed and as good as many DM bands listed.

September 13, 2011, 01:27:41 PM
So cut out those other bands as well.  They're not representative of the best of Metal, they're simply the seriously-fucking-good of Metal.

September 13, 2011, 04:26:58 PM
Today Is the Day on DLA? ... i can't wait really... very curious about this...the band is practically ignored by metal archives and by the vast majority of  the metal community (as being alternative, or something), as far as i know...

September 13, 2011, 05:37:27 PM
Today Is the Day on DLA? ... i can't wait really... very curious about this...the band is practically ignored by metal archives and by the vast majority of  the metal community (as being alternative, or something), as far as i know...

THIS is "alternative"? (ignore how cheesy the video is)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPvR45IvBcg&feature=relmfu

I don't know about them being "A" list material, but they're certainly a unique presence in the metal world. I enjoy their Swans/doom metal/grind/noise combination. Definitely a band that is not afraid to innovate. Not surprised they're ignored by most of the metal community; they actually do something different than most bands.

September 27, 2011, 10:44:14 PM
THIS is "alternative"? (ignore how cheesy the video is)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPvR45IvBcg&feature=relmfu

I don't know about them being "A" list material, but they're certainly a unique presence in the metal world. I enjoy their Swans/doom metal/grind/noise combination. Definitely a band that is not afraid to innovate. Not surprised they're ignored by most of the metal community; they actually do something different than most bands.

^^^ 7 million % better than Atheist's Jupiter.

Never had the patience for metalcore, but this is actually interesting.

September 30, 2011, 01:06:32 AM
Hardcore: Fear, Death (70s Detroit band, I do wonder how the Bad Brains got this material to copy it, or maybe its something else)

Stole? My ass. The Death from Detroit is overrated as hell and only hyped up because they're a LONG LOST ALL BLACK PUNX BAND LOL. Their music isn't anything special. Bad Brains, however, that's a whole 'nother ballgame.

Ksatria, try out "Kiss The Pig" (the album that video's song is on) and "In The Eyes Of God". They're the only two from Today Is The Day that I've heard; both are quite good.

October 01, 2011, 03:59:57 AM
Sacramentum, Therion, Necrophobic, Gorguts, Enslaved, Dismember, as well.
Agree, these are essential. As another poster mentioned, there's alot more A-list death metal than black metal.

I'd personally remove Nuclear Assault, Exodus, Monstrosity, Carnage, Nihilist, Belial, Napalm Death  
Yeah non-metalheads wouldn't really need to hear these bands. Same with Malediction, Impaled Nazarene, Possessed...  etc. Hessian-only material.

Manilla Road is an eccentricity, not a legend. CANDLEMASS is a heavy metal legend.

Also Power Metal:
*Blind Guardian
*Crimson Glory
*Hammers of Misfortune
*Stratovarius
*Iced Earth
*Cirith Ungol
*Helloween
*Manowar
*Fates Warning
*Angra
*Lost Horizon
*Pagan's mind
*Running wild
These bands are all good, but I'd shorten the list to Iced Earth, Helloween, Fates Warning, Lost Horizon.  maybe Blind Guardian.

October 06, 2011, 09:41:21 PM

CANDLEMASS is a heavy metal legend.

And if they aren't, they should be: NIGHTFALL is an awesome masterpiece, A+ without doubt, and they have much more good stuff, but just their NIGHTFALL gives them right to be in the A list. Their style/ genre is not very much attended in this forum, but Nightfall is an album all ppl into metal should know. When I listen to nightfall I sometimes feel it's a pitty they hadn't been a bit more extreme band, but actually they don't need that, the album is very much more than OK as it is.

October 06, 2011, 11:27:00 PM
Nightfall and Epicus Doomicus Metallicus are both first tier, the rest are fodder.  Nightfall is more upbeat and catchy, Epicus is more menacing, both genuinely epic. I'm not sure which one I like more.

October 07, 2011, 12:33:45 AM
Nightfall and Epicus Doomicus Metallicus are both first tier, the rest are fodder.  Nightfall is more upbeat and catchy, Epicus is more menacing, both genuinely epic. I'm not sure which one I like more.

I like very much Ancient Dreams too, it's not that good but it's close.

Also Power Metal:
*Blind Guardian
*Crimson Glory
*Hammers of Misfortune
*Stratovarius
*Iced Earth
*Cirith Ungol
*Helloween
*Manowar
*Fates Warning
*Angra
*Lost Horizon
*Pagan's mind
*Running wild
These bands are all good, but I'd shorten the list to Iced Earth, Helloween, Fates Warning, Lost Horizon.  maybe Blind Guardian.

I have no problem with that bands, some great albums (Crimson Glory "transcendence") but Stratovarius should be wept.

October 08, 2011, 08:07:33 AM
Also Power Metal:
*Blind Guardian
*Crimson Glory
*Hammers of Misfortune
*Stratovarius
*Iced Earth
*Cirith Ungol
*Helloween
*Manowar
*Fates Warning
*Angra
*Lost Horizon
*Pagan's mind
*Running wild

Hmmm, not sure I can agree with that. If you think it's fine to leave Lost Horizon on the list, then I don't see any particularly good reason for not leaving Angra, Pagan's Mind, Hammers of Misfortune, and Running Wild on the list. I haven't listened to Lost Horizon in a couple of years, but I remember that the only things about them that stood out were their very talented singer and their goofy sci fi concept. As songwriters they didn't particularly stand out to me. I think those other bands I mentioned are all better in that sense. I don't see how they're better overall than those other bands (I also love Running Wild, but that's my personal idiosyncrasy; I make no judgment concerning whether they're A-list or not.)

October 10, 2011, 09:09:39 PM
We need to be very cynical and careful about this list.

Putting stuff from the C-list to the A-list is the equivalent of the French revolution, and it's what hosed down metal in the late 1990s.

October 23, 2011, 10:02:32 AM
there will never be another hvis lyset tar oss. it depresses me every time i finish listening to it.