Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Bands that should be reviewed

Bands that should be reviewed
August 18, 2011, 01:06:54 AM
Part II:

http://www.anus.com/metal/hall/index.php/topic,3444.0.html

How many of these are actually:

(a) A or B list
(b) Historically important
(c) Artistically relevant

Re: Bands that should be reviewed
August 18, 2011, 03:02:13 AM
Every single one of those bands is either terrible or already reviewed on the site somewhere (frequently in something like /zine or in the "eugenic metal reviews" on the blog).

August 18, 2011, 04:35:35 AM
A list (i.e., b and c)
disembowelment
emperor/enslaved split
mayhem - live in leipzig
mercyful fate
slayer - reign in blood

there are others but I feel most strongly about these. they should receive a full analysis.

August 18, 2011, 05:48:06 PM
The first two Blut Aus Nord albums have something to offer.

Black Sabbath and Judas Priest of course.

Deathspell Omega has an interesting take on modern black metal.

August 18, 2011, 08:06:16 PM

This is exactly what happened in that last thread. I know you don't mean anything by posting this but I hope this thread doesn't become another wave of random submissions with no explanation as to why the hell they should be reviewed.

DSO does not belong on ANUS. At all. In fact, they don't belong in metal; but that's a conversation for another time.

The rest of your suggestions are warranted - Priest and Sabbath are classics (but then again they've been reviewed time and time again elsewhere....unless you're looking for a purely ANUS-ian opinion on those bands), and Blut Aus Nord are a B-level band which occasionally hovers in the B+ range and have on more than one occasion released horrible shit. I'd like to see a review of selected albums, specifically "Fathers Of The Icy Age" and "The Work Which Transforms God", but then again the reviewers/authors on ANUS are harsher critics than I, and I wouldn't be surprised if they don't review them.

August 18, 2011, 10:06:18 PM

DSO does not belong on ANUS. At all. In fact, they don't belong in metal; but that's a conversation for another time.

What about SMRC? I would say it's a strong C+/B- attempt. For their later material I would agree with you though.

August 18, 2011, 11:09:25 PM

What about SMRC? I would say it's a strong C+/B- attempt. For their later material I would agree with you though.

Why does a C+/B- warrant review?

August 18, 2011, 11:55:48 PM
SMRC is almost relevant because it was an early exploration of technique later used to great effect by Averse Sefira (well, for a given definition of "later" at least; it started to show up a bit on Battle's Clarion [which was before SMRC], but they fully matured into the style on Tetragrammatical Astygmata) and Aosoth.

August 19, 2011, 12:26:15 AM
We have several categories:

(a) Best Of
(b) Historical
(c) Style

A band can exist and be reviewed even if it's Z-grade so long as it doesn't appear in Best Of, which should probably be renamed ESSENTIAL.

August 20, 2011, 02:58:21 AM
Dead Infection is pretty awesome if you ask me, and Grindcore is not overcrowded like black metal and death metal.  I think they're better than Terrorizer for example.

August 21, 2011, 04:40:55 PM
A number of those bands have already been reviewed.  Here's my two cents on what should be reviewed:

Quote from: NECESSARY
Bathory - Hammerheart
Black Sabbath
Emperor / Enslaved split
Exhorder
Mercyful Fate
Misfits, The
Voivod - (basically entire discography)

Quote from: HISTORICALLY IMPORTANT
Angel Witch
Bad Brains
Cirith Ungol
Coroner
DRI - (next two albums)
Iron Maiden
Judas Priest
Led Zeppelin
Metallica - (next two albums)
Motorhead - (more material)
Venom - (first three)

Quote from: WORTH REVIEW
Aurora Borealis
Chasm, The
Deceased - (various)
Disembowelment
Gehenna - Second Spell
Malevolent Creation
Mayhem - Live in Leipzig
Morpheus Descends - Chronicles of the Shadowed Ones
Ripping Corpse - Dreaming with the Dead
Seance - Fornever Laid to Rest
Slaughter - Strappado

August 22, 2011, 02:36:47 AM
^
I found a  dSEMBOWELMENT review over at the Corrupt.org/Austrailia website. I think it should be moved over here. There are some other great reviews of Dead Can Dance and James Gleeson over there, as well as an almost full discography review for Portal.

Why does a C+/B- warrant review?

I think it would be nice to have it in Sadistic Metal Reviews. It needs an honest assessment for once, as most of the reviews are polarized between claiming that it's the most important thing to ever come out of black metal, or reactionary lashing out against the bands irritating fan base.

August 23, 2011, 03:02:54 AM
Dead Infection is pretty awesome if you ask me, and Grindcore is not overcrowded like black metal and death metal.  I think they're better than Terrorizer for example.

Grindcore IS overcrowded (just look at half the bands who play OEF, MDF, and various other festivals - but Dead Infection (up until around 2005 when Jaro left) is class.

August 27, 2011, 02:57:11 PM
DEAD INFECTION needs to be mentioned.

The problem with grindcore is that any time a thoughtful band emerges, some other crop of idiots pops up that "plays harder and faster and more like a hardcore band than ever before!" and all the idiots flock to them and ignore the thoughtful band.

August 27, 2011, 04:11:54 PM
DEAD INFECTION needs to be mentioned.

The problem with grindcore is that any time a thoughtful band emerges, some other crop of idiots pops up that "plays harder and faster and more like a hardcore band than ever before!" and all the idiots flock to them and ignore the thoughtful band.

Indeed. Can't tell how many cruddy grind bands I've had to sit through in order to see some really good stuff.

Fortunately, with newer quality bands like Gridlink and Prosanctus Inferi, grindcore's not totally done yet.