Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Sorcier des Glaces - Snowland reissue

Re: Sorcier des Glaces - Snowland reissue
August 20, 2011, 09:17:13 PM
I'm still awaiting an upload in the audiofile.

August 20, 2011, 10:34:57 PM
I got the new album with the original Snowland as bonus, so I don't know if I'm going to get the re-recording. I'll have to give it a download first. After listening to Puressence and Snowland back to back, I honestly think that Sorcier des Glaces' new album is his best.

August 22, 2011, 08:39:48 AM
After listening to Puressence and Snowland back to back, I honestly think that Sorcier des Glaces' new album is his best.

Agree. Vigorous, deep, extensive, congruential yet pleasurably unpredictable. In a time of mediocrity for black metal, I think that Sorcier des Glaces puts the bar in the proper height.

August 22, 2011, 12:33:03 PM
I haven't listened to Puressence yet (part of me wants to wait until winter descends here to get the full effect), but I just listened to Snowland and it is still great. Pure Northern Landscape Desolation is probably one of the best moments in post-95 black metal.

August 24, 2011, 02:12:52 AM
http://www.anus.com/metal/about/blog/pivot/entry.php?id=241

Has anyone else ordered this? I like this album; it doesn't totally hold together but it keeps a mood and is more imaginative than most of black metal.

Ah, I agree.

IMO, like most dramatic Black Metal bands (i.e. the first Dimmu Borgir seven-inch, Emperor's Hordanes Land, Ancient's Trolltar, Kvist), Snowland conveys sooooooo much in itself.

August 26, 2011, 10:32:29 PM
I did not see the thrash element coming. This is weird. If he outsourced a drummer, cool, but holy hell, rein him in! That kind of "hot shit on the boo-bams" is not required nor needed for black metal. His voice has progressed nicely. Riffs are good, but too self-aware.

Snowland was pure expression, this is treading familiar waters. I like it, wasn't expecting it to be what it is, and am ultimately not wanting to listen to it much more than I have.

August 28, 2011, 08:33:05 PM
I plan to procure more albums from them; I am enjoying their work.
Impale the Under-120's!

I've always enjoyed a little male bondage every now and then.
I like missionary because it allows me to watch her face as I strangle her.

August 29, 2011, 11:34:28 PM
I've just finished my first contact with puressence, not paying very much attention as I was doing other things, so maybe I'm wrong, but although i've found it pleasant, it has given me the impression they are derivating to rock? Also, some tracks remind me of Ancient in their decline...

August 30, 2011, 02:17:51 AM
No one knows where to take black metal after black metal.

I guess a return to Atheist/At the Gates without the funky elements was too hard...

August 30, 2011, 02:35:51 AM
I guess a return to Atheist/At the Gates without the funky elements was too hard...

I wouldn't say that is the future of Black Metal. Necrophobic sort of did this, and as nice as it was, it wasn't an evolution. We need a few wizards to decide where metal goes post-black metal. Otherwise, we can just appreciate the pleasant, non-clone rehashings (such as Sorcier Des Glaces's latest album).
Impale the Under-120's!

I've always enjoyed a little male bondage every now and then.
I like missionary because it allows me to watch her face as I strangle her.

August 30, 2011, 02:38:04 AM
I've just finished my first contact with puressence, not paying very much attention as I was doing other things, so maybe I'm wrong, but although i've found it pleasant, it has given me the impression they are derivating to rock? Also, some tracks remind me of Ancient in their decline...
I've been listening to it for a week, and while for a few more, but this is my impression as well. There's a LOT of happy-go-lucky lead work in there.
HE WHO REAPS STORMS, SOWS WINDS. HE WHO SOWS WINDS, REAPS STORMS.

"It is better to go to a house of mourning than to go to a house of feasting, for death is the destiny of every man; the living should take this to heart."
-Ecclesiastes 7:2

2cents
September 08, 2011, 12:40:19 PM
There are some ok melodic progressions that in the end go nowhere. Songs don't support each other in the context of the album. The drums have a stupid punky style that doesn't support the melodies. The vocals are acted and not from the heart. On the whole it's either uniquely pointless or just plain 'done' and if it weren't for the first album this would be all the more forgettable.

September 14, 2011, 08:07:51 PM
Black metal was nice when it WAS THERE. And I'm okay with that.

Perhaps one of you staff writers here can actually come up with some good black metal music. I'd really like to see that ;)