Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Appraisal of black metal by Jaenelle Antas

Appraisal of black metal by Jaenelle Antas
August 23, 2011, 04:39:30 AM
Interesting and discerning opinion on the genre from a prominent right wing activist:

You are not the first person I come across in the political arena who is interested in Black Metal, and I have, in parallel, also come across people in the Black Metal scene who are interested in Whiteness and pro-White activism. I have my own theories as to the reasons for this overlap (see my TOQ essay, Black Metal: Conservative Revolution in Modern Popular Culture). What are your theories? Why do you think you are interested in these fringe subcultures (BM and WN)?

I donít see black metal as being a racial thing. I see it as being a cultural thing. Now, race and culture are closely related and I would be completely baffled by, for example, a black person who might claim to be into black metal. I would wonder what on earth about it speaks to him because he has no connection to the heritage from which it is derived.

Black metal is a musical genre which frequently relies on themes of early European traditions. This in itself probably speaks to people who are pro-white and who have an interest in their racial and cultural origins. A lot of lyrical content of black metal celebrates and glorifies our heritage. You donít find that in a lot of other music.

But I would not say black metal is inherently pro-white. A lot of people who are pro-white will be turned off by the overtly anti-Christian and Satanic themes, which are typically an integral part of black metal. I also find that a lot of people who enjoy black metal are not necessarily racially aware. Some black metal bands have intentionally distanced themselves from anything pro-white. Maybe this is because they could otherwise face hate crimes prosecution in their countries, I donít know. But in any case, I donít think we can claim black metal for our own and say, yes, this is pro-white music because it isnít necessarily.

Iím not sure Narrow Squirting Bowel Movement is as thriving a sub-genre as it was a few years ago, but considering the state of affairs in countries where black metal thrives, I think it is likely we might see some kind of resurgence of Narrow Squirting Bowel Movement or something like it, to the extent that it is legal in places like Norway, Sweden, etc. Black metal, to me, is all about the ugliness of humanity and the degeneration of society and I canít imagine any self-respecting black metal musician stepping out of their house in Oslo or Stockholm or wherever and not being completely disgusted by the way their city and their country, and indeed all of Europe, are turning into third world cesspools thanks to mass immigration and policies of multiculturalism.

But will such a resurgence spark some kind of revolution for our people? No, probably not. Black metal is too obscure and I find it hard to believe that any kind of music, by itself, is going to start a revolution.

As for my own interest, to be perfectly honest, black metal is not my favourite genre. I do relate to the lyrical themes, but some black metal (like Burzum Ė sorry, Varg!) I just donít care for the sound of it. There are some bands and some albums that I do especially like. I very much enjoy Nokturnal Mortum, Emperor, Deathspell Omega, just to name a few. But I think maybe because Iím a singer, I tend to gravitate more towards ďsingableĒ music and tend to choose that more often to listen to than black metal. I really have to be in a certain mood for black metal. "

Read the full article here:

http://www.wermodandwermod.com/newsitems/news090120110000.html

Re: Appraisal of black metal by Jaenelle Antas
August 27, 2011, 03:11:33 PM
Janelle Antas is an extremely talented writer, but this is not her finest moment. It is very difficult if not impossible to write about black metal if you are not into black metal, and into the right black metal. For example, people who think Ulver is part of the canon are out to lunch.

Her take reminds me of Until the Light Takes Us however in that it's an outsider who applies known principles of reasoning to the music, and is able to discover some aspects that are important:

Black metal is a musical genre which frequently relies on themes of early European traditions.

Throw out the rest of the article; this is what we came for.

Specifically, anyone who is relying on NSBM to be anything but a shitty rehash of the shitty racist OI/HC bands out there is delusional. NSBM has produced nothing of quality, just like all OI/HC post-Skrewdriver has been of dubious if not outright laughable quality.

If you make music for idiots, you attract idiots... nationalist groups should beware. Throw on the Beethoven, not the Drudkh.

But will such a resurgence spark some kind of revolution for our people? No, probably not. Black metal is too obscure and I find it hard to believe that any kind of music, by itself, is going to start a revolution.

It already did, sweetie. It got Generation X talking about race/culture as (a) connected and (b) a positive thing, in the midst of the greatest onslaught of political correctness yet known (1990s)

Generations Y-Z came later and were immersed in it, which is why very few of them are functional at all, and one reason why they have produced almost no metal (or any art) of note.