Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Tonight's Hessian TV listings

Tonight's Hessian TV listings
September 14, 2006, 04:40:40 PM
DSC — Death Metal Music
Death Metal Music

This film investigates the possible links between Death Metal and a series of gruesome crimes from California to Italy. With exclusive access the film tells the inside story of a violent satanic cult in Milan.

Discovery Channel 10:00pm eastern

Metal: A headbanger's journey
VH1 11:00pm eastern

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Go_CfIchshU

TC

Re: Tonight's Hessian TV listings
September 14, 2006, 04:48:25 PM
hm, wonder what happened to Most Evil?  oh well, this sounds interesting.

September 15, 2006, 01:13:24 AM
It was fucking stupid.

Glen Benton made an ass of himself (who woulda' thunk?)  ;)

The Italian kids didn't have much to say, except for one of them who was semi-intelligent and made the most important point: The music didn't cause them to murder the girl; they were already fucked in the head beforehand.

The story in Callifornia was useless. There wasn't much to be told from the side of the kids, except for a professor at Stanford who got it partially right in that the music wasn't the reason, yet ranted for a good while about metal music when the guy obviously had no clue. The parents of the dead girl were knee-jerk reacting for the heads of all metalheads. They wanted to interview Slayer, but they declined. This sort of surprised me. I would of thought that Slayer would have wanted the attention ($).

There was about two minutes of Mayhem and Burzum, and the church-burnings. I don't even know why they brought this up. For one thing, the story is called "Death Metal Music". And since they brought up this topic about burning churches, suicides, and murder, why not give more information about this, instead of leaving the viewer wondering, 1) what exactly happened, 2) what the repercussions were as a result, and 3) where the people involved are now? Instead, they go through the usual unsolved mystery bullshit as to how this "evil" music influenced these kids.

This should have zero impact on metal in general anyway. But I do find it interesting that it waited this long to reach the light of day.

TC

September 15, 2006, 11:22:25 AM
yeah, this show was genius.  the italian dad (who apparently lives in some city named MilAN - great pronunciation) was freaking because his teenage son decided to spend lots of time with his friends drinking and smoking weed?  wow, how unlike every other teenager, ever.  i mean really, what are the odds?  *rolls eyes*  i love the ralph santolla interview - he's been part of the band/scene for what, 10 months now?  and really, at the end of the day, it boils down to deicide (DAY-uh-cide apparently.  yeah, i generally say DAY-uh-tee... *rolls eyes*) fans killing each other, so it's win-win.

the story in cali - why did they keep calling it a "satanic ritualistic murder"?  they were walking & smoking a joint when one of the kids starts strangling her with a belt while the other stabs her.  there was no "ritual" or any formality whatsoever.  and the parents - the mother kept saying she's read all these slayer lyrics that have to do with objectifying/mutilating/using/abusing females in every imaginable way... i was yelling at the TV that i could think of not one slayer song about a female in any way, shape or form.  she must be confused with cannibal corpse?  either way, it was truly a sad story - that girl had no business being killed by those 'tards.  seriously, did you see their pictures?  the one mongloid's eyes were so close together he was nearly a cyclops and one of the other kids had a forehead the size of montana.  BUT, i have to wonder why she agreed to go meet them in the first place - they seemed like they would be members of entirely different cliques.

whatever.  

then i tuned over and watched most of the headbanger's journey thing.  it was ok, nothing great.  gaaaaahl was amusing at best, but i wish he would have interviewed varg himself instead.

September 15, 2006, 02:16:47 PM
i was yelling at the TV that i could think of not one slayer song about a female in any way, shape or form

Necrophobic, except that has more to do with birthing the antichrist in the belly of a contemptible dead thing than sexual objectification of living women. Women are good for other than the occasional nut recepticle.

September 15, 2006, 03:20:21 PM
I think you mean Necrophiliac, not Necrophobic, which is about the fear of death in it`s many forms.
Die By The Sword`s `raping the maids` and Captor Of Sin`s `Harlots of Hell` references also spring to mind, but they are few and far between.

Myrrdin

September 16, 2006, 10:45:58 AM
This sounds very much like a documentary screened a few months ago on the BBC called "The Death Metal Murders".  Did it have clips of the heavy metal Monk spreading the word of the lord through his heavy metal to crowds of baying satanists at a music festival?

September 16, 2006, 12:24:47 PM
This sounds very much like a documentary screened a few months ago on the BBC called "The Death Metal Murders".  

I THINK I caught about a minute of this when it was on and have waited for it to be repeated in vain (assuming we are talking about the same documentary). Was there a bit with Glen Benton talking about how great entertainers are assholes in real life (or something to that effect)?.

Myrrdin

September 16, 2006, 01:13:55 PM
Almost definitely. There was a lot of Glen Benton talking about not very much, whilst sat at a picnic table..!

September 18, 2006, 10:16:10 PM
The Discovery Channel program had absolutely nothing to do with death metal music, and focused exclusively on angry young white people doing what angry young white people do best.  It was the brand of embarassing low budget shockumentary one normally sees on CourtTV dealing with thrill killers and rapists from the least evolved areas of the lower 48.  In the course of attempting to establish a paper thin causal link between murder and whatever fucking genre of music they pulled out of thin air, it amounted to nothing more than 50 minutes of misfit teenagers desperately seeking a peer group.   Benton came off as a clod because: 1. he is a clod; 2. there's no other way to portray the accidental villain in shows like this one.   There was no attempt made to educate, enlighten, or even really demean in any way.  Forgetting for a minute the half dozen times Slayer were referred to as "death metal," and ignoring a 50 year old Italian man going to Iron Maiden concerts, the program's chief ambitions were cheap shock and controversy.  For that reason, it was every bit as guilty of all the crimes it half-heartedly accused death metal of, except, you know, without the artistic component.  So, yeah, it's really just a bunch of unwatchable trash.

Still eagerly awaiting Discovery's special on "Hardcore Rap."

Vajra

September 19, 2006, 06:49:14 AM
This sounds very much like a documentary screened a few months ago on the BBC called "The Death Metal Murders".  Did it have clips of the heavy metal Monk spreading the word of the lord through his heavy metal to crowds of baying satanists at a music festival?

Sounds like the exact same programme, yes.

carnage_knowledge:
I THINK I caught about a minute of this when it was on and have waited for it to be repeated in vain

I have it recorded onto VHS and I really don't want it anymore.

September 19, 2006, 04:47:05 PM
 So, yeah, it's really just a bunch of unwatchable trash.

The church burning montage gave me chills, but the Norwegian couple with the Samoan kid made me want to vomit City of the Living Dead style.

Kill Again was mentioned in the lawsuit story a few years back.

September 19, 2006, 06:31:51 PM
the mother kept saying she's read all these slayer lyrics that have to do with objectifying/mutilating/using/abusing females in every imaginable way... i was yelling at the TV that i could think of not one slayer song about a female in any way, shape or form.  she must be confused with cannibal corpse?

"Altar of Sacrifice" almost has to be the reference point here.

September 19, 2006, 06:56:51 PM

"Altar of Sacrifice" almost has to be the reference point here.

Dont forget Sex, Murder, Art off Divine Intervention

September 21, 2006, 12:20:33 AM

The church burning montage gave me chills, but the Norwegian couple with the Samoan kid made me want to vomit City of the Living Dead style.

Kill Again was mentioned in the lawsuit story a few years back.

I'm not entirely sure of the motivation behind the inclusion of the adopted Polynesian kid.  He wasn't really indicative of the Norwegian stereotype they tried to exploit in the program.  To the best of my knowledge he was there to either show that the so-called evil of death metal corrupts children of all races, or, more insidiously, that the astute boy of color (remember he was the only "metal kid" in the show who made a point of saying he didn't subscribe to any of the metal ideology) is exposed to evil music thanks to the ineptitude of his obliging Nordic parents.