Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Terrorizer magazine

Re: Terrorizer magazine
October 01, 2006, 11:47:09 AM

I don't know if you realize this... I didn't at first.

There are no magazines left except National Geographic which make any money from subscription sales. You're basically paying postage and handling and getting the magazine free. Even paying $7 in a record store is closer to representation of cost, not profit.

The profit's all in the ads. Two-thirds of the revenue of most magazines, newspapers, TV shows, etc comes from the advertising. (The proof can be found here, but the corporate fucks want registration.)

With this in mind, it should surprise you that Terrorizer and even most underground zines read as promotional materials. They are promotional materials.

That's one reason that websites like BNR metal and ANUS.com are good reading: they don't have any asses to kiss. Unlike Ultimate Metal or Terrorizer, they have no advertisers. Unlike Metal-Archives adn every ezine out there, they are unconcerned with popularity among the Internet metal community. They're just there to put out an opinion, which is the way the underground used to be. It was unconstrained by social factors.

Personally, I'd much rather read Brian N. Russ's assessment of a band, even if it's poorly written (which it isn't) or contains factual errors (which it almost never does) because I don't feel like I'm being manipulated except a little bit by his subjectivity in enjoying a band.

You don't get that reading Terrorizer, Metal Maniacs, Unrestrained!, etc.

Agreed on mainly points and that's one reason the notion of the Internet being privatized is a big fucking scare.

However, I will say that Terrorizer is the only metal mag I every really buy. Some issues are 75%, but whenever it get's to that 50-50 point or better I usually buy a copy. It has in a number of cases opened me to different music, so I do have that to thank for.

November 23, 2006, 12:03:47 AM
40. Immolation - Failures for Gods (1999)
39. Nocturnus - The Key (1990)
38. Gorguts - Obscura (1998 )
37. Darkthrone - Soulside Journey (1990)
36. Death - Symbolic (1995)
35. Malevolent Creation - Retribution (1992)
34. Entombed - Clandestine (1991)
33. Vader - De Profundis (1995)
32. Bolt Thrower - War Master (1991)
31. Napalm Death - Harmony Corruption (1990)
30. Death - Scream Bloody Gore (1987)
29. Obituary - Cause of Death (1990)
28. Carnage - Dark Recollections (1990)
27. Cancer - Death Shall Rise (1993)
26. Cryptopsy - None So Vile (1996)
25. Cynic - Focus (1993)
24. Pestilence - Testimony Of The Ancients (1991)
23. Carcass - Heartwork (1994)
22. Sepultura - Beneath the Remains (1989)
21. Nile - Black Seeds Of Vengeance (2000)
20. Dismember - Like An Ever Flowing Stream (1991)
19. Massacre - From Beyond (1991)
18. Carcass - Symphonies Of Sickness (1988 )
17. Bolt Thrower - Realm Of Chaos (1989)
16. Sepultura - Arise (1991)
15. At The Gates - Slaughter Of The Soul (1995)
14. Nile - Amongst The Catacombs of Nephren Ka (1998 )
13. Death - Human (1991)
12. Cannibal Corpse - Tomb Of The Mutilated (1992)
11. Repulsion - Horrified (1989)
10. Atheist - Unquestionable Presence (1990)
9. Autopsy - Mental Funeral (1991)
8. Morbid Angel - Blessed Are The Sick (1991)
7. Obituary - Slowly We Rot (1989)
6. Suffocation - Effigy Of The Forgotten (1991)
5. Carcass - Necroticism: Descanting The Insalubrious (1991)
4. Death - Leprosy (1988 )
3. Entombed - Left Hand Path (1990)
2. Deicide - Deicide (1990)
1. Morbid Angel - Altars Of Madness (1989)

Terrorizer`s recent DM top 40 could have been worse. It could have been a hell of a lot better, too.

November 23, 2006, 03:34:07 AM
I will say this for MetalForMorons:

Unlike most wiki/user generated content sites, it is essentially transparent in terms of authorship - you know who is responsible for the content.  This is extremely helpful, as there are definitely some gem users among the turds, people whos opinions are thoughtful, well expressed, and typically spot on.

It's just that they're surrounded by idiots giving track by track reviews of releases of no significance whatsoever.

Vajra

November 23, 2006, 06:43:43 AM
Terrorizer`s recent DM top 40 could have been worse. It could have been a hell of a lot better, too.

Still left me totally perplexed.

November 23, 2006, 08:01:38 AM
I`m surprised (in a good way) they included the likes of Soulside Journey and The Key, but the inclusion of Arise, Symbolic and Slaughter Of The Soul at the expense of Consuming Impulse and Dawn Of Possession is unforgivable. Once again, Legion failed to make a DM `best of` despite it`s superiority to the debut (as discussed in the Deicide thread).

Terrorizer should stick to top tens for it`s all time `best ofs` and albums of the year, their top 40s are more often than not padded out with mediocrity and/or shite.

Nile577

November 23, 2006, 05:59:35 PM
I will say this for MetalForMorons:

Unlike most wiki/user generated content sites, it is essentially transparent in terms of authorship - you know who is responsible for the content.  This is extremely helpful, as there are definitely some gem users among the turds, people whos opinions are thoughtful, well expressed, and typically spot on.

It's just that they're surrounded by idiots giving track by track reviews of releases of no significance whatsoever.

http://www.metal-archives.com/userreviews.php?id=31745&nickname=Drowned

^^ This guy is a good user. I have learned much from reading his Death Metal reviews.

November 23, 2006, 06:44:04 PM

http://www.metal-archives.com/userreviews.php?id=31745&nickname=Drowned

^^ This guy is a good user. I have learned much from reading his Death Metal reviews.

He's an awesome death metal tape trading veteran and nice chap.

http://www.geocities.com/soulsvortex/

January 24, 2016, 04:52:00 AM
that list is total bad ass. different vibe back then.