Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

I'm Mr. Meek

I'm Mr. Meek
August 25, 2011, 09:21:01 PM
After graduating from college, landing an engineering job, and moving to a big city, I now realize I am becoming more and more like Mr. Meek with each passing day.  My passivity is causing the new environment I have surrounded myself in to have more and more of an effect on me.  What can I do to stop and/or reverse this seemingly inevitable downward spiral to weakness?

The grip modern society has on anyone striving for something beyond abject poverty and lonerdom is staggering.  It would seem that the majority find an escape from this despair by moving to the suburbs and starting a family.  That solution seems like a cop out and only really continues the cycle for years to come; it's why we are in this mess in the first place.  Is the only answer to start a blog espousing conservationalism, traditionalism, and nihilism like Mr. Prozak has done?

Re: I'm Mr. Meek
August 25, 2011, 09:49:22 PM
Everyday is full of opportunities. You need to look for them, and then act accordingly. Acquiescence for the sake of acquiescence dulls your life; you have established that. Instead of searching for cheap thrills and excuses, mold your life into the artwork you wish it to be. If you so willed, you could save up money, visit Peru, delve into a new culture (and pussy), and then reside in another location post-vacation. Spontaneity is useless in and of itself. Draw up plans and make something to which you would anticipate, and even defend electricly.

August 26, 2011, 08:50:29 AM
As an individual you might not be able to achieve much.

You need (physical) groups.

August 26, 2011, 10:33:35 AM
Everyday is full of opportunities. You need to look for them, and then act accordingly. Acquiescence for the sake of acquiescence dulls your life; you have established that. Instead of searching for cheap thrills and excuses, mold your life into the artwork you wish it to be. If you so willed, you could save up money, visit Peru, delve into a new culture (and pussy), and then reside in another location post-vacation. Spontaneity is useless in and of itself. Draw up plans and make something to which you would anticipate, and even defend electricly.

Make music by listening to music, write ideas down by reading philosophy, throw ideas around with acquiantances, make sure that when you meet someone new you had an impact on them that they were not ready for, work at home, eat nothing but peaches, the world is yours!!

August 26, 2011, 11:55:38 AM
@ UmlautsForEnglish: But in what ways are you Mr. Meek?

August 26, 2011, 05:31:33 PM

Make music by listening to music, write ideas down by reading philosophy, throw ideas around with acquiantances, make sure that when you meet someone new you had an impact on them that they were not ready for, work at home, eat nothing but peaches, the world is yours!!

I don't like peaches.

August 26, 2011, 07:21:46 PM
Using Metal Hall for an interactive therapeutic advice column is a sure way to remain a Mr. Meek.

August 26, 2011, 07:38:19 PM
Using Metal Hall for an interactive therapeutic advice column is a sure way to remain a Mr. Meek.

With all due respect to you (which is a lot)... huh?

August 26, 2011, 08:42:39 PM
@ UmlautsForEnglish: But in what ways are you Mr. Meek?

Essentially, I can feel the environment of passive aggressive drones that I put myself in starting to push me towards that direction.  Especially, if I try to advance myself any further. I am becoming a part of the monopoly on power the Mr. Meeks of the world hold.  The article says it quite well;  it is a world of 'beating the system', appearing to be tolerant to maintain an image, and cowardice to change and disruption of their own personal monotony.  I developed a propensity to all of this as I have adapted to it and can only see it getting worse. Their primary weapon is groupthink; if you don't play by their rules, no one will give a shit about you. 

The issue is what level of balance do I want, or the lack thereof. What level of do I want to buy into the Mr. Meek lifestyle in order for success and comfort.  I've found it to be binary: you are either a part of the world of Mr. Meek ( or Mr. Competition and Mr. Hip) or completely out of it. It takes too much effort to maintain to do either/or.  The other path is that of the Kaczynskis or Thoreaus of the world take which, frankly, seems just as hollow and unfulfilling.

I was expecting a better trolling attempt than this. This place is really losing its edge.  I'll be sure to only post fully formed theses that are completely detached from any personal experience in the future.   

August 27, 2011, 12:29:07 AM
What can I do to stop and/or reverse this seemingly inevitable downward spiral to weakness?
Military service.